FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Earth poles changing?

_AVG_
Are the magnetic poles of earth's magnetic field changing?

If so, how is it possible?
Ophois
Here is what NASA has to say about it:
Quote:
Scientists have long known that the magnetic pole moves. James Ross located the pole for the first time in 1831 after an exhausting arctic journey during which his ship got stuck in the ice for four years. No one returned until the next century. In 1904, Roald Amundsen found the pole again and discovered that it had moved--at least 50 km since the days of Ross.

The pole kept going during the 20th century, north at an average speed of 10 km per year, lately accelerating "to 40 km per year," says Newitt. At this rate it will exit North America and reach Siberia in a few decades
Full article here. I remember reading about the shifting poles years ago, but have since forgotten most of it. It's interesting, and I would like to know what effects, if any, it will have on us. I might read up on it a bit more...
Bikerman
_AVG_ wrote:
Are the magnetic poles of earth's magnetic field changing?

If so, how is it possible?

Yes they are.
The exact mechanism is still not 'tied down' but most geophysicists seem to thing it is closely related to the dynamo effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal#Causes
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/reversals.html
silverdown
wow, changing.... that is very interesting... so does that mean north will be something else? Yes that is a joke. Laughing
ocalhoun
Wonder if we could generate electricity with the change... With a moving magnetic field that big, you'd only need a big coil of wire...
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
Wonder if we could generate electricity with the change... With a moving magnetic field that big, you'd only need a big coil of wire...

Not really practical - not a very strong magnetic field and you'd need a ruddy big coil! Smile