FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

'Microsoft Security Essentials' Free anti-virus for windows

ForceRun
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
Quick call out to Windows users, Microsoft finally release a free basic anti-virus program, that is quite good. Give it a look.

Here is a review from a 3rd party site:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/microsoft-security-essentials-review-with-screenshots/
Diablosblizz
I've used it on my laptop before installing Linux, it's a decent anti-virus, but that's all it is. There's nothing else to it, which is great for some people. For my laptop, worked like a charm.
ForceRun
Diablosblizz wrote:
I've used it on my laptop before installing Linux, it's a decent anti-virus, but that's all it is. There's nothing else to it, which is great for some people. For my laptop, worked like a charm.

Yeah, but that is all I want, even AVG can bug me some times with all for it's updates.
Diablosblizz
Oh I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. For my laptop that's all I wanted as well. I'm just saying that it's just the antivirus, which is great for some people. Works awesome for low-power machines. To add, AVG is horrible, drop it asap. Razz
[FuN]goku
Diablosblizz wrote:
Oh I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. For my laptop that's all I wanted as well. I'm just saying that it's just the antivirus, which is great for some people. Works awesome for low-power machines. To add, AVG is horrible, drop it asap. Razz
/Agree
I hate AVG with a passion. It might lock out one of my files cuz it picks it up as a false positive. Quite annoying, and precisely why I stopped using it. I'll stick to MalwareBytes Razz
ForceRun
Avg use to be really nice as it did the job, was light weight, and didn't but you too much. But they followed everyone else's lead and draped up their program. I like malwarebytes I works fine.
Mihkel
Hmm, sounds interesting. At the moment I do not use any anti virus, but soon I'm gonna test it out.
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
How does it compare with Kaspersky?
Fire Boar
deanhills wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

Extremely favourably, and I can say that without even trying it. Because Kapersky... is dire.
deanhills
Fire Boar wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

Extremely favourably, and I can say that without even trying it. Because Kapersky... is dire.
Why do you think Kaspersky is dire?
Diablosblizz
deanhills wrote:

I figure that the MSE compared to Kaspersky (I'll compare the Internet Security 2010 one) are two totally different products. MSE, is just an antivirus. That's it, there's no firewall, no extra features and it's free. I find that the fact that it's so small makes it a good antivirus. I'm using it on my parents computer, and it's found more than Avast had. I also figure that who knows viruses and system infections better than Microsoft, considering they MADE the OS.

So, if you want something that can do more than an antivirus then Kaspersky is the way to go. If you just want basic antivirus protection MSE is great, and there's nothing wrong with it!
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I figure that the MSE compared to Kaspersky (I'll compare the Internet Security 2010 one) are two totally different products. MSE, is just an antivirus. That's it, there's no firewall, no extra features and it's free. I find that the fact that it's so small makes it a good antivirus. I'm using it on my parents computer, and it's found more than Avast had. I also figure that who knows viruses and system infections better than Microsoft, considering they MADE the OS.

So, if you want something that can do more than an antivirus then Kaspersky is the way to go. If you just want basic antivirus protection MSE is great, and there's nothing wrong with it!
I would imagine if one would be using ADSL continuously for a number of hours at a time, that a firewall would be important? Or do you think one could still be OK with only MSE basic anti-virus?
Diablosblizz
Are you behind a router? I'd advise one to use a firewall if not behind a router, but if you are it's fine. In fact, I don't recommend the Kaspersky firewall at all. It's not how normal firewalls work, and way to complicated to use. Comodo, which also has a very strong antivirus, is a lightweight program that also has a kick arse firewall. It also comes with Defense +, which is a behavioral based detection system. It has a wonderful firewall, and you can install it alone. It's called Comodo Internet Security and when installing you can opt out of the antivirus. Once my Kaspersky license is up I'm switching to this.

In fact, I use MSE on my parents computer (it's not powerful, and so MSE will work as a basic antivirus and that's all it needs). I use Comodo Internet Security on my laptop for school (I don't trust their "security" considering I've gotten every bodies marks before Wink and still going strong) so I don't get major hacked. Finally, I use Kaspersky for my main computer for the detection rate. In my opinion, they're all very powerful applications.

Also, out of curiosity what are your computer specs?
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
Are you behind a router?
What is a router? Embarassed You are talking interesting stuff here for me, as I suspect that my Firewall is giving me problems as well and perhaps for the reasons you gave below:
Diablosblizz wrote:
I'd advise one to use a firewall if not behind a router, but if you are it's fine. In fact, I don't recommend the Kaspersky firewall at all. It's not how normal firewalls work, and way to complicated to use. Comodo, which also has a very strong antivirus, is a lightweight program that also has a kick arse firewall. It also comes with Defense +, which is a behavioral based detection system. It has a wonderful firewall, and you can install it alone. It's called Comodo Internet Security and when installing you can opt out of the antivirus. Once my Kaspersky license is up I'm switching to this.

In fact, I use MSE on my parents computer (it's not powerful, and so MSE will work as a basic antivirus and that's all it needs). I use Comodo Internet Security on my laptop for school (I don't trust their "security" considering I've gotten every bodies marks before Wink and still going strong) so I don't get major hacked. Finally, I use Kaspersky for my main computer for the detection rate. In my opinion, they're all very powerful applications.

Also, out of curiosity what are your computer specs?
I will check out Comodo, never heard of them before.

My computer specs are:
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU
E3400@ 2.4 GHz
2.40 GHz
2 GB RAM
160GB Hard Disk
Diablosblizz
If you have wireless in your house, you have a router. Basically, it takes one connection and splits it into parts so you can hook up more than one computer. What firewall are you using and what types of problems is it giving you?
menino
I think finally, Microsoft should have come out with an antivirus for its products.
Maybe it wont be as good as ESET or avast, but hopefully MS should buy one of these companies and use it to improve the security of the OS.
menino
I've intalled it on a windows 7 machine and evaluating it. It seems to be ok, but have to wait and see.
Not too many options as eset or kaspersky, but will have to see how strong it is in terms of catching viruses, spyware and malware.
ForceRun
It seems to be the new trend for companies to take a bit more responiblity for their own products. Microsoft is way behind in taking care of their customers and providing security for their systems. But this is a step in the right direction.
dickyzin
How reliable is Microsoft Security Essentials in detected and removing viruses, trojans or malware? I assume it is quite light-weight according to this thread but I want to know the reliability part of it. If it is reliable then I'll give a try.
ForceRun
I haven't seen anything solid that I can link to, but most of the bloggers and computer experts that I read all recommended it. Thats about the best I can find now. I have personally been happy with it, but I rarely deal with computer security problem such as it is.
aningbo
Quote:

shifted to mac and so bye bye to windows environment. still helping friends trying to get over with the virus. yeah its time they come up with a anti-virus.

great going microsoft
babarus
I am using Microsoft Security Essentials and i am thinking that it is useful and easy to use!
From my poit of view all the antivirus software make your computer to work slowly.(if you have not enought resources for your job). I think Microsoft Security Essentials for windows is a good software. In adition it's free!
So use this software if you have windows:)!

I went at a microsoft cenference tow weeks ago and this software was praised a lot!

Quote:
"About Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Learn more at the Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Find information, definitions, and analyses of all the latest threats that Microsoft Security Essentials can help protect you against in the Microsoft Malware Protection Center.

Need security for your business?
Protect your computers with Microsoft Forefront Client Security

*Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials. Learn more about genuine
" www.microsoft.com
Jean-Clod
ForceRun wrote:
I haven't seen anything solid that I can link to, but most of the bloggers and computer experts that I read all recommended it. Thats about the best I can find now. I have personally been happy with it, but I rarely deal with computer security problem such as it is.

Agreed. I use it on several computers, and it is especially interesting on a netbook: Lightweight, silent;
After Avast, AVG, or Kaspersky, that took, at times, 100% CPU power, this one is just great!
slashnburn99
thanks for the info on the free anti virus

downloading now
dickyzin
How does MSE compare with Symentec Antivirus (Corporate version)? I'm using Symentec Antivirus and it is very light-weight. If MSE is better than Symentec Antivirus, I will migrate to MSE.
philipw
Thanks for those antivirus software information~

Those info are quite useful
dickyzin
I'm now testing Microsoft Security Essential and it seems to be quite good so far.