FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The differences between browsers are.........?

lkccem
Hello
The only browsers i know are IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, and Netscape which died out now.
Why are there so many browsers?

I understand that they are somewhat different from one another, but why?
Diablosblizz
Well, most browsers render / load pages differently. For example, Internet Explorer is horrible at rendering pages, while the rest are up to standards. In fact, from my knowledge, Opera is the only browser to fully pass the ACID 3 test. Firefox has plugins to make browsing more awesome, Safari is a piece of crap and Chrome loads pages INCREDIBLY fast.

So basically, it all depends in what your looking in a browser. For me? I'm looking for my pages to render correctly and my theme to look amazing (which it does) so I use Firefox. I reccomend any of the other browsers, except for Safari. For some reason it uses 300 MB of ram with one tab open... while my Firefox runs at 71 MB with 4 tabs open, 10 addons and Aero making firefox look transparent.
badai
how does steve job make safari look fast on demo? plain html?
Marcuzzo
who knows, they will surely not tell us.
anyway, it looks like cr**

thank god for firefox
Diablosblizz
The pages for the Safari demo was probably hosted locally, so there was no internet involved, just internal networking.
badai
it doesnt' matter where the page is hosted. it has nothing to do with connectivity. the demo is about rendering html/css and executing script. nothing to do with connection speed. and that is the whole thing about browser war. they certainly cannot control how fast the page will transfer. that's up to the webmaster to optimize their server/connection/code/encoding/etc. the browser is about rendering html/css, processing script and try to tolerate every mistake the coder make, and then set your own standard so everybody else (including w3c) have to follow your rules.

so, steve job run it locally, how the heck he make the page render faster and the script execute faster?

and he certainly didn't load from different locations on each browser. people will notice that.
Star Wars Fanatic
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well, most browsers render / load pages differently. For example, Internet Explorer is horrible at rendering pages, while the rest are up to standards. In fact, from my knowledge, Opera is the only browser to fully pass the ACID 3 test. Firefox has plugins to make browsing more awesome, Safari is a piece of crap and Chrome loads pages INCREDIBLY fast.

So basically, it all depends in what your looking in a browser. For me? I'm looking for my pages to render correctly and my theme to look amazing (which it does) so I use Firefox. I reccomend any of the other browsers, except for Safari. For some reason it uses 300 MB of ram with one tab open... while my Firefox runs at 71 MB with 4 tabs open, 10 addons and Aero making firefox look transparent.

Lol, I agree with some of that, and then disagree with that last big about Safari.
I use Safari for all my main browsing, and then Firefox when I need a plugin or something.
I'm assuming you use it on Windows, as on Mac it isn't a memory hog.
And I find Safari renders pages better then even Firefox does. I've coded numerous sites that work fine in Safari, but are goofed in Firefox, not a big deal, but I'm just saying, it's not a piece of crap.

As for the differences between browsers, there is the rendering engine, the JavaScript engine, look, feel, plugins, themes. Many different things go into each browser. There are many browsers, and each bring something different to the table. Some people prefer Firefox, some don't. Some just go with IE because it's easiest. (Which is a pain in the butt for web developers).
Marcuzzo
I have to admit, safari is fast, but I mean, firefox isn't slow... neither is IE, which I think is broken.
I don't have to wait for a minute till the page is loaded.
but the user interface blows... big time
Diablosblizz
badai wrote:
it doesnt' matter where the page is hosted. it has nothing to do with connectivity. the demo is about rendering html/css and executing script. nothing to do with connection speed. and that is the whole thing about browser war. they certainly cannot control how fast the page will transfer. that's up to the webmaster to optimize their server/connection/code/encoding/etc. the browser is about rendering html/css, processing script and try to tolerate every mistake the coder make, and then set your own standard so everybody else (including w3c) have to follow your rules.

so, steve job run it locally, how the heck he make the page render faster and the script execute faster?

and he certainly didn't load from different locations on each browser. people will notice that.

Compare the loading speak of a external server (such as Frihost) and a localhost server, there's a HUGE difference. External server has to go through the internet, localhost is local, there's nothing to go through!
Star Wars Fanatic
Diablosblizz wrote:
badai wrote:

Compare the loading speak of a external server (such as Frihost) and a localhost server, there's a HUGE difference. External server has to go through the internet, localhost is local, there's nothing to go through!

Which has nothing to do with render speed. Even the fastest browser will go as slow as the slowest on a crappy line. Which is why he might have done it on local, as the speed will be the same, no matter what the server traffic may be.
Diablosblizz
Exactly what I am saying, Steve Jobs (and anybody else) wouldn't use a external server for a few reasons.

1) Server could be offline, thus causing delay in the presentation.
2) Server could take too long, again causing delay.

Pages are going to load faster if they are on local, they won't render faster but the time it takes it to get from Apache to the browser will be faster, thus it indeed increases the speed.
erlendhg
Diablosblizz wrote:
Firefox has plugins to make browsing more awesome, Safari is a piece of crap and Chrome loads pages INCREDIBLY fast.

Yup, couldn't agree more Wink
weableandbob
firefox = more customizable
IE = crap
Opera = Never tried it
Chrome = fast and fairly lightweight
Safari=crap
william
Diablosblizz wrote:
In fact, from my knowledge, Opera is the only browser to fully pass the ACID 3 test.

Just a small thing to point out. Currently, Opera 10 and Safari 4 both pass Acid3 completely. Chrome 3.0 nearly passes but doesn't get pixel perfect rendering compared to the the reference image. Also, it is kind of sad Internet Explorer didn't pass the older Acid2 until Internet Explorer 8. Now they get something like 20/100 on Acid3.
HalfBloodPrince
Here's my take on it (and I think it's relatively accurate):

IE: Use this if you have been unfortunate enough to suffer from mental retardation and/or you sustained critical head injuries as an infant.
Safari: Good on OS X, but on Windows it's a gray-scale copy of Chrome.
Firefox: Use this if you're interested in the thousands and thousands of extensions/plugins available. This is also open source and the main threat to IE.
Chrome: Use this if you want a simple and fast browser with little customization (I use this).
Opera: Don't have much experience with this one, guess that makes me a "browser n00b lol", but I've heard good things about it.
harismushtaq
I think there are only three famous browser technologies,

Internet Explorer whose code base is maintained by Microsoft.
Opera which has a different code base. Not sure if it uses open sorce components from mozilla
Mozilla code base on which Mozilla, Firefox, Chrome, Netscape and Safari are based.

So all the last few browsers have the same underlying rendering engine/technology. They must have improved on many things though. This is my understanding as I am a develoepr and have worked with some of them for plugin development. If this is not true, you may point out.
bigt
lkccem wrote:
Hello
The only browsers i know are IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, and Netscape which died out now.
Why are there so many browsers?

I understand that they are somewhat different from one another, but why?

More choices usually means a better experience for the users or at least enough of a selection that maybe most of the people can be happy with their browser.

The differences include: IE is pretty vulnerable and buggy and Firefox is more customizable and more secure. Each browser has it's own strengths and weaknesses. When you find the browser you like, support the developers so they keep working on the project.
rockacola
weableandbob wrote:
firefox = more customizable
IE = crap
Opera = Never tried it
Chrome = fast and fairly lightweight
Safari=crap

LOL.. unjustified justification Twisted Evil (but I somehow agree to)