FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Price for Carbon 1

lkccem
Hello! This is Steve Lee. I am here to talk about Climate Change issues. As you know, we are being affected by climate change drastically. The world is meeting at Copenhagen this December to draft a protocol to avert climate change.

Kyoto illustrated that quantity emission limits are not practical as the ability of a nation to meet targets changes over time. We need an internationally harmonized “carbon tax” that will penalize each ton of carbon emitted by businesses and individuals. The price of carbon will increase incrementally to ensure progressive reductions. Revenues from this carbon tax will be collected domestically, and then will return a prescribed percentage of the revenues by lowering other taxes. An international organization will also collect a portion of the carbon tax revenues from developed countries to fund green infrastructure in developing countries and renewable resources such as solar, wind, and geothermal energy. The carbon tax will be binding and universally applicable. Above all, the carbon tax will compel businesses and individuals to reduce emissions and it will fund the global green revolution.

This is my idea for Carbon price, the carbon tax. This is definitely better than cap and trade system and USA is proving it in real-life. Please follow on the next post to read for more details.
ocalhoun
Sorry, each nation will have to have its own independent system. Any worldwide agreement will fail because there will always be holdouts who don't think they are getting a fair deal.

The relationship between developed countries and third-world countries in your system is also very one-sided. Since most of the manufacturing is done in these third-world countries, tax that and they can pay for their own 'green' upgrades, leaving the developed countries to pay for their own upgrades with taxes on their industry.
deanhills
lkccem wrote:
An international organization will also collect a portion of the carbon tax revenues from developed countries to fund green infrastructure in developing countries and renewable resources such as solar, wind, and geothermal energy.
Would be wonderful if life could have been that simple. I picture the international organization going into Eritrea, Congo, a number of dangerous places that are almost impossible to access. As with everything else, it will probably have to be up to the developed countries to sort the pollution problem out for the rest of the world as well. Looks as though it has become a "big deal" to the extent that certain countries like Germany and the United States have environmental and green parties. Hope that they can make a meaningful difference as I think we are completely behind in fixing world polution problems. Far too little has been done over too long a period of time.
Phinx
See, you idea is quite nice, but honestly, it would only uphold the 'rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer' theory. As mentioned, majority of production happens abroad. Ever read the back of an iPod? 'Designed in California, assembled in China'? This way the already well developed countries will get financing from abroad (which will probably be the poor money they paid for the manufacturing of the goods in the first place) in form of penalties. Even if something similar to this would happen, how long do you think those poor countries would last? They are already struggling with repaying loans and trying to start some sort of development to increase the life standards and improve self-sufficiency and now this. Their economies will completely crumble, and, let's take USA as an example, will fall in to a pit that it dug herself, and billions of Americans will see the prices soar sky high. Some don't fully understand how interdependent many of today's countries are and decrease in productivity in one of the countries would affect many others.
ocalhoun
Phinx wrote:
and billions of Americans will see the prices soar sky high.

^.^
Apparently he's also predicting a major population boom!

Current population of the USA: about 300 million.
Ophois
ocalhoun wrote:
^.^
Apparently he's also predicting a major population boom!

Current population of the USA: about 300 million.
Haha... "John and Kate, plus eight billion". Now that I'd watch.
Phinx
No predictions on that matter Smile Just a lame guess and terrible geographical knowledge. Had no idea about the population size as i was writing the message. Let's forgive and forget Very Happy
Ophois
No worries, Phinx. We just like to have fun sometimes.