FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Difficulty setting up a FileZilla home server

Da Rossa
Hi!
Since we have a lot of FileZilla Client users in here, there might be some FileZilla server users too.

I successfully setup my home wireless network, through which I can swap files from one computer to another here in my home. I just set some users in the FileZilla server interface and connect via the internal network ip address, that one that begins with 192.168.x.x.

But, what if I need to use my laptop to download, from school, some file that is in my desktop at home?

I followed this tutorial....
http://lifehacker.com/339887/build-a-home-ftp-server-with-filezilla

and then this...
http://lifehacker.com/software/web-publishing/geek-to-live--how-to-assign-a-domain-name-to-your-home-web-server-124804.php

And, from home, I tried using the laptop to find the dns domain I created to use the desktop as server. No success.

Am I missing something?
albuferque
Quote:
I tried using the laptop to find the dns domain I created to use the desktop as server

Some providers restrict inbound access to well-known ports(FTP included). In that case DynDNS would not help.

Also check if your NAT(PAT) is well configured.

You'll want to see this video:

http://revision3.com/systm/dyndns
Diablosblizz
Firstly, just use your IP address (which you can find from going to cmyip.com) to connect to. Secondly, you need to port forward port 21 on your router. If you have Windows firewall enabled, make sure you allow the program through the firewall, not just port 21. If you use port 21 it will connect but won't send the data for the files.
Da Rossa
Quote:

Some providers restrict inbound access to well-known ports(FTP included). In that case DynDNS would not help.

Appears not to be the case because I can transfer files from computers here @ home via FTP. Or am I wrong about this?

Quote:
Firstly, just use your IP address (which you can find from going to cmyip.com) to connect to.

As far as I know both computers have the same external ip address since they're in the same network. Is this the cause of impossibility to find my desktop from the laptop by typing in the browser of the latter "chosen_domain.something.com"?
Diablosblizz
Quote:
As far as I know both computers have the same external ip address since they're in the same network. Is this the cause of impossibility to find my desktop from the laptop by typing in the browser of the latter "chosen_domain.something.com"?

Your router should redirect the open port to whatever computer you have port forwarded it to, so it isn't connecting to all of the computers, just that one that you've opened the port for.

Quote:
Appears not to be the case because I can transfer files from computers here @ home via FTP. Or am I wrong about this?

Not necessarily, you may be able to use FTP to connect to a host such as Frihost, but your ISP might be blocking the ports for FileZilla Server to work correctly. What's your ISP?

Quote:
But, what if I need to use my laptop to download, from school, some file that is in my desktop at home?

Personally, I find that DropBox (or Live Mesh if you're completely Windows) has a boatload of features that could do what you need. Previously, I used Live Mesh because I had two window machines (my desktop was Windows and my laptop was Windows). Now since I moved to Ubuntu on my laptop, I am unable to use Mesh. Therefore, DropBox comes into play. Basically, if you move a file into the dropbox folder on your desktop it synchronizes it with a online server. Once you turn on your laptop (or if you saved the file on your laptop then it would be your desktop) it will be synced to your laptop and you will have the file.

It's hard to explain, but it works very well. Another cool feature is old files. So, if you edit a file in your DropBox folder and you need the old version you can go online and see the different versions of that file. It's 100% secure and trustworthy, and you get 2 GB of storage space!

http://tinyurl.com/yhxzbm3 - download drop box.
Da Rossa
Dropbox is fantastic!! Very very nice. Didn't even try live mesh after using DB.
But I still need to access my home via FTP remotely, not only from the intranet Sad

Quote:
Your router should redirect the open port to whatever computer you have port forwarded it to, so it isn't connecting to all of the computers, just that one that you've opened the port for.

[...]

Not necessarily, you may be able to use FTP to connect to a host such as Frihost, but your ISP might be blocking the ports for FileZilla Server to work correctly. What's your ISP?

I couldn't make any port forwarding because my router is locked, meaning that someone has changed its password (maybe the ISP guy, believe me) to prevent me from accessing the config. Actually we changed together but I forgot it. So I can get into the modem's settings through the browser. Embarassed