FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Family Guy or American Dad

ghozt
what do you guys think about the new tv series by the makers of Family Guy?...American Dad?

I think this tv show is very unfunny compared to the original Family Guy..now thats a show you could watch all day...bu i don't think they put the same effort into American dad that they did into Family Guy...FG was so original but American is basically the lame old jokes, there not eve funny, there just stupid....what do you guys think about family guy or American dad..

I think overall Family Guy is WAYYYYY more original and funnier that American Dad....

leave a feedback..

Ghozt
xorcist
Personally I like Family guy I dont think American Dad. It really isnt that funny as Family Guy. They have more things that people like in Family Guy.
nakamaru
I like family guy more than American dad but as for originality, American dad beats family guy easily.
cnnet
I haven't seen this series yet
bigdan
American Dad is pretty good, but it's no Family Guy! Cool
Dark_Jedi06
Family Guy is far better and far more humurous...

The things about American Dad is that it's humor is centered around politics, and after a while you just get sick of those jokes...or at least I do. I don't see why we have to include our political agendas everywhere, even in cartoons. Rolling Eyes
kain
I LOVE family guy but the reason i don't like american dad is b/c the basically have the same characters. Think about the paralels- dad-Peter mom-Lois son-chris daughter-Meg alien-Brian fish-stewie
(sorry I didn't know there names)
svhkid
i've gone from series of different shows, like simpsons, davechappelle, etc. i think family guy has the most original ideas and themes Smile that are funny as crap
blackomen12
Family guy is way better. American Dad just seems like a cheap rip-off, even though it's made by the smae people. And what's with the alien guy? Think
Mona
Family Guy, alll the way. American Dad is okay, i do watch it, but cant even compare to FG.

Im not a fan of the fish and the alien.
52tease
Happy to see we're all on the same page. I think that American Dad is just a trash bin for the stuff that doesn't make it into Family Guy.

The real question here should be who is going to buy the new Stewie DVD that is coming out? That thing looks great (and McFarlane has said that it is truly a gift to the fans who've stuck with Family Guy for so long and helped bring it back).

The type of non-sensical humor that FG promotes is just about the only thing I can tolerate on TV these days (speaking of which, have any of you seen SCRUBS? It's kind of like a live-action Family Guy).
SilverDogg
i havent seen american dad yet. starts in a week here in sweden. gonna watch it ofcourse. but family guy is a great great great show =). and now season five has kicked in! WEE!
Twikki
i don't think they have aired it here in england yet Sad

oh well it looks ok I guess
Lukrasha
it's kind of odd how they can create such a popular and hillarious show like family guy, and then come up with a show that no one likes and isn't funny? It's almost as if they try to hard to be funny now...
Twikki
I hate the fact they show neither family guy or american dad in the UK
Craneses
jhkj
flexibledogma
Family Guy is definitely the better show. American Dad just feels too forced, like the jokes are coming out of a book or something.

I'm surprised Fox let Family Guy go in the first place, I think the writing is sharper than even the Simpsons many weeks.
DJCognizance
Family Guy is my all-time favourite TV Series. I love every episode like it was my own disfunctional family. I was excited to see American Dad but i must admit i was a little dissapointed by it at first. Now i realize it is also a great show, but in a different sense. Personally I think having political humour in a show like this is a genius idea. I mean who doesn't want to poke fun at the Pro-American, I'm gonna save my country by taking peoples freedoms. These topics need to be addressed because some people are sick of this bull**** that the government is making us put up with.
Bender1337
u cant compare the two side by side it is just wrong
bigdan
DJCognizance wrote:
Family Guy is my all-time favourite TV Series. I love every episode like it was my own disfunctional family. I was excited to see American Dad but i must admit i was a little dissapointed by it at first. Now i realize it is also a great show, but in a different sense. Personally I think having political humour in a show like this is a genius idea. I mean who doesn't want to poke fun at the Pro-American, I'm gonna save my country by taking peoples freedoms. These topics need to be addressed because some people are sick of this bull**** that the government is making us put up with.

spot on!
BioHaZaRD
Family Guy, hands down.

I mean come on, American Dad is alright I guess.. but look at Family Guy - you just can't compete with that. Every single time I see Family Guy I get into a laughing fit at least once. I love it. Cool
lycadia
I could not agree more with DJCognizance when he says,

Quote:
I was excited to see American Dad but i must admit i was a little dissapointed by it at first. Now i realize it is also a great show, but in a different sense. Personally I think having political humour in a show like this is a genius idea. I mean who doesn't want to poke fun at the Pro-American, I'm gonna save my country by taking peoples freedoms. These topics need to be addressed because some people are sick of this bull**** that the government is making us put up with.

That's it in a nutshell. Family Guy is funny in a way nothing had been before, but American Dad is really a political comedy, which harms it, but it is amusing and it is important then there be a witty, disscenting voice being heard and applauded. I'm another of those who is disturbed, displeased, and even embarressed by the actions of those currently in control of my nation. I don't feel that the political climate right now does justice to the diversity, progressiveness, intellegence and openness that could and should be representing America. If nothing else, American Dad serves as an outlet for some of the frustration I feel with politics as it is.

However, on it's own merits as a comedy and a pleasure, it doesn't stand up to Family Guy. While I don't agree that it's basically a rip off, I can see why people would draw the parallels. I think in many ways both shows are making use of archetypal and dramatic character types to play off of each other, so there will be similar roles filled by similar characters. I do like that both the children in American Dad are more intellegent than thier parents and much more intellegent than thier counterparts on Family Guy, but again, that doesn't make up for it's fundemental lack of that certian bizarre, irreverant and semitimeless humor and appeal that make me fan so hard on Family Guy. Seriously, most of the jokes on Amercian Dad wouldn't be funny 10 years from now, they'd be dated. It's very very topical. South Park is topical, but seems to suffer less by it.

Anyhow, I'm starting to get off topic, so it's time to stop typing. Sorry for going on and on. I just got done writing an analysis of a classical greek drama so I'm still in scholarly analytical mode, I fear.
Flakky
Though I like both of them I prefer Family Guy as some things are just plain rude (thus funny).
American Dad is often not funny because the Dad character is kinda unrealistic for a dad.
And Stewie is just great, you can't deny that xD
eday2010
Flakky wrote:
Though I like both of them I prefer Family Guy as some things are just plain rude (thus funny).
American Dad is often not funny because the Dad character is kinda unrealistic for a dad.
And Stewie is just great, you can't deny that xD

Stewie isn't great anymore. His semi-closeted homo tendencies isn't at all funny, especially compared to his past megalomaniac tendencies of the early seasons.

These days American Dad is consistently funny, while Family Guy is hit and miss. I am not sure where I would put The Cleveland Show.
gandalfthegrey
Family Guy is way better. They should just put American Dad and The Cleveland Show out of their misery before they end up staying on air as long as the crap they call King of The Hill. The good cartoons on Fox always gets canceled way too soon (Family Guy originally, Futurama), while the crap stays on air for years.
Chirmling
Personally, I think American Dad is better. Now I don't want anyone to get angry, so let me explain why.

In the beginning, Family Guy was a seriously hilarious show. But as time went on it quickly become less funny, with episodes almost unbearable to me in the present. However, AD just kept getting better with good solid jokes that are funny. You may say AD relies on political jokes too much. But it's the opposite now. FG is useing many more political jokes (that aren't very good) while AD is shifting away from them.

American Dad also has better characters in my opinion. Stan and Peter are both the idiotic child type character, but Stan plays it better. His is more discreat and he honestly doesn't want anyone to know he's not as smart as he wants to believe. Peter on the other hand is just an idiot that gets more awful. Francine and Lois are kind of the same, but Francine has a hinted psychopathic killer side that is more interesting than Lois's nymphomaniac nature. Steve is obviously better than Chris, but only because he gets more screentime. I do prefer Stewie over Klaus, but only when Stewie's gag was the world conquerer baby and not the homosexual kid. Brian and Roger are hard; I like Brian's straight man attitudebut hate how intolerable he's become. I like Roger's mastermind antics and effeminate qualities mixed but I'm easily annoyed at how selfish and bratty he is. I'm not sure how to compare Hayley and Meg since they get the least screentime.

American Dad is going strog while Family Guy is already past its time. The relationships are better, the stories are more original, the jokes are funny, and they don't have to rely on nonsensical cut sways for a laugh. It may not be as memorable as early FG, but I definitly prefer American Dad.
D'Artagnan
Quote:
You may say AD relies on political jokes too much

maybe that's why i don't get most of the AD jokes, i can get most of FG jokes and love it even when they are speaking of tv actors that i don't know, but so many AD jokes fall flat to me...

i was a southpark guy, but then southpark started getting lame and bloodless, now i'm a family guy type, still not as much blood but the psycological terror they play is awesome
_AVG_
There's no question that Family Guy is much more entertaining than American Dad. The characters are more lovable and the stories of each episode are much more enjoyable. Although, I could do without the occasional song. Nonetheless, Family Guy over American Dad anytime.
justinhx7
Family Guy is much better than American Dad.

Watch Two and a Half Men Online , Watch Law and Order Online
mgeek
Family Guy is funnier than American Dad.
loyal
Is American Dad on in the UK?
metalfreek
Family guy for sure. Its really funny.
brainycat
I think family guy WAS great. The first three seasons were hilarious, but from then on, the jokes have just been pointless and stupid, and the plot is non existent. American Dad however is intelligent (at least more intelligent) and is plot based with stronger characters.
Whoever said they didn't think Stan was an unrealistic father figure is an idiot. How could you think that, and think Peter IS a realistic father figure? Peter can be funny - he drives the plot of family guy, and has the most of the funny lines, however at other times he is just an unrealistic, annoying moron. Stan however is far more realistic. A patriot, idiot, has some intelligence, and actually does care for his family (although he can be rather negligent) he is work orientated, and also drives the plot.
Lois is realistic, and at the beginning of family guy she acted as the voice of reason with a highly promiscuous side. However as the series progressed, she became less and less important and just became a pointless push over. Francine on the other hand is the voice of reason, realistic and has a rebellious side (which is more interesting). She is shown to be a bimbo and is very family orientated. I think she is a far better developed characters, what even the point of Meg? When Seth made the show he said "I don't know what to do with this character" so he made her the pointless, nothing, punchbag we call Meg. Hayley is actually a character, having a role in American Dad, rebelling against her Father's conservative ways. Far more developed and far more entertaining.
Chris is an idiot. I don't remotely find him funny. Steve has more screen time, because although he lacks common sense, he actually has a personality, being the nerd of the family.
Stewie is AMAZING. He is the most funny character in the show. However since he became a homo instead of a megalomaniac, his humor has dropped considerably. Roger on the other hand, can be really funny at times, but really annoying at other times. I feel they could develop Roger a bit more. I say they are even characters.
Brian is also funny, he has many sides to him and I love his cynical nature. Klaus is also funny, and throws in many good lines. However brian seems to be a more important role, unlike Klaus who is more of a background character.
Don't get me wrong, I love both shows. But 99% of the time, I'd rather watch American Dad.
gandalfthegrey
I am glad that Seth Macfarlane is recreating his version of The Flintstones. I would also love love love to see him create a new television cartoon version of Jim Henson's The Muppets!
Laro696
I really love both shows. It just depends on what mood I am in Smile
PapaMinouche
Family Guy all the way!!
pravojednostavno
Family guy - of course
Josso
brainycat wrote:
I think family guy WAS great. The first three seasons were hilarious, but from then on, the jokes have just been pointless and stupid, and the plot is non existent. American Dad however is intelligent (at least more intelligent) and is plot based with stronger characters.
Whoever said they didn't think Stan was an unrealistic father figure is an idiot. How could you think that, and think Peter IS a realistic father figure? Peter can be funny - he drives the plot of family guy, and has the most of the funny lines, however at other times he is just an unrealistic, annoying moron. Stan however is far more realistic. A patriot, idiot, has some intelligence, and actually does care for his family (although he can be rather negligent) he is work orientated, and also drives the plot.
Lois is realistic, and at the beginning of family guy she acted as the voice of reason with a highly promiscuous side. However as the series progressed, she became less and less important and just became a pointless push over. Francine on the other hand is the voice of reason, realistic and has a rebellious side (which is more interesting). She is shown to be a bimbo and is very family orientated. I think she is a far better developed characters, what even the point of Meg? When Seth made the show he said "I don't know what to do with this character" so he made her the pointless, nothing, punchbag we call Meg. Hayley is actually a character, having a role in American Dad, rebelling against her Father's conservative ways. Far more developed and far more entertaining.
Chris is an idiot. I don't remotely find him funny. Steve has more screen time, because although he lacks common sense, he actually has a personality, being the nerd of the family.
Stewie is AMAZING. He is the most funny character in the show. However since he became a homo instead of a megalomaniac, his humor has dropped considerably. Roger on the other hand, can be really funny at times, but really annoying at other times. I feel they could develop Roger a bit more. I say they are even characters.
Brian is also funny, he has many sides to him and I love his cynical nature. Klaus is also funny, and throws in many good lines. However brian seems to be a more important role, unlike Klaus who is more of a background character.
Don't get me wrong, I love both shows. But 99% of the time, I'd rather watch American Dad.

Great first post, I get what you are saying. Personally I don't have any preference I don't think, sometimes I'll watch AD sometimes FG. I heard a theory that AD is aimed at a slightly younger audience (probably based entirely on pop culture references). Everyone I know that is 30-40 prefers FG over AD.
auldaviemore
Most definitely FG time and time again

Mainly because LOIS is so freakin hot and Meg will probably turn out just like her mom

whooooweee

cool- whhip !