FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


UFO, or an advanced spy ship...? (Iran Missile UFO video)





quex
How likely would it be that a UFO just happened to be passing by as Iran was testing it's short-range missiles?


More proof that somebody with Earthly priorities has something fast-as-hell for spying on other countries.
fladry
They suspet America for such machine. You said "somebody with Earthly priorities". It may also be "somebody with un-Earthly priorities". I mean real aliens Wink .
ocalhoun
Though that break in the clouds does look unusual, I wouldn't consider it proof of anything.

The best theory I've seen is that it is just the shadow of the missile's exhaust.

It certainly isn't the right shape for any type of aircraft.
What an aircraft's effect on clouds looks like:
brokenadvice
You hear them talking about "reconstructed photographs" in the video. Most likely Iran just cobbed together a video of a jet flying overhead with some clouds, and several artifacts came as a result of the forgery.
DoctorBeaver
It certainly looks a bit weird. It could be a shadow (and that is certainly the most mundane explanation) although the angles do not look quite right.

I'm not an expert on ballistics or rockets, but I assume the rocket is travelling more-or-less vertically in the clip even though it doesn't actually look as if it is. I've seen other clips where a rocket appears to be moving horizontally but when the shot is widened you can see that it is, in fact, going vertically. The line on the cloud, however, certainly appears to travel horizontally although I do appreciate that may not necessarily be the case.

What is certain, though, is that the cloud is above the rocket. This becomes obvious at the end of the clip. For the rocket to cast a shadow on the cloud, therefore, the light source would need to be behind & below the rocket. That would place it somewhere in the region of the camera. You would need a pretty strong light source to cast that kind of shadow over that distance on such a brightly sunlit day.

I shall certainly be interested to hear a definitive explanation.
DoctorBeaver
BrokenAdvice - Do I remember correctly that it was Iran that cobbled together a fake photograph of a battery of rockets somewhere when there was, in fact, only 1? I remember seeing it and there were some glaring errors in that mash up that made it very obvious.

But what would be the point of faking a video clip such as this 1? All they want to show is their rocket taking off.
quex
fladry wrote:
They suspet America for such machine. You said "somebody with Earthly priorities". It may also be "somebody with un-Earthly priorities". I mean real aliens :wink: .


I would certainly expect America, too. :D As a matter of fact, the theory that unexplained UFO sightings are the advanced/experimental technology of a nation state with an advanced military is often called, in slang, the American Hypothesis.

Until this guy starts talking about abductions, he makes the argument fairly well:

Quote:
What kind of technology does the American government posess? How can we really know? What are they hiding and why? On a day-to-day basis, we see tonnes of technology yet our exposure to the state-of-the art is limited. Hell, Microsoft is limiting us to their technology that is years old, not their new stuff. Don't you think the American government is hiding more than Bill Gates? So with their newest technology, as with any technology, it needs to be trialed. That's why people are seeing UFO'S. As I said before, we don't know what they are hiding from us and/or why, so perhaps these trials need to be top secret. If the trials require the craft to be flown in residential areas, then keeping them secret is, well, impossible...
quex
ocalhoun wrote:
Though that break in the clouds does look unusual, I wouldn't consider it proof of anything.

The best theory I've seen is that it is just the shadow of the missile's exhaust.

It certainly isn't the right shape for any type of aircraft.
What an aircraft's effect on clouds looks like:


Agreed. The shadow theory is indeed Occam's best guess, but for the question of the lighting and the angles involved. The video does clearly show the divide occurring from right to left, while we are shown the missile heading up, away, and left. Assuming the cloud is a regular formation formed in parallel to the tangent of the horizon line, this would seemingly require the ambient light source to be somewhere near/on the ground, aiming upward from behind the missile. The sun could likely not assume this position... maybe at sunrise on a cliff over a massive gorge running north to south... or not. -_-; Unless Iran was launching those things with some HUGE f*cking Kleig lights aimed at 'em, there is no apparent situation whereby that "cut" in the clouds could have been the shadow of the rocket that appears in the video. Now, if a SECOND rocket was also in the air, following a different trajectory, the whole model changes. :D
Jinx
Could it have been a meteorite? In daylight you might not be able to see the light of it's passage through the atmosphere, especially if it wasn't much bigger than, say, a marble. But I would think one might move fast enough to do that. The heat of its passage might be enough to re-vaporize the water in the cloud along its path.

I don't think it's a shadow or the rocket exhaust... the angles look wrong for that, as someone pointed out already.

Still, kinda freaky.
quex
Jinx wrote:
Could it have been a meteorite? In daylight you might not be able to see the light of it's passage through the atmosphere, especially if it wasn't much bigger than, say, a marble. But I would think one might move fast enough to do that. The heat of its passage might be enough to re-vaporize the water in the cloud along its path.


O,O!

That's fresh thinking! Again, besides arguing the (admittedly false) "rarity of coincidence" angle, that a meteor would just happen to be passing as the missiles were launched, a small meteor could indeed have punched through the clouds in that exact manor. Especially the vaporization part. I like this theory! ^_^b
coreymanshack
Looks like someone just used the erase tool to erase the cloud >.>
jabce85
The whole thing looks suspect to me.
quex
coreymanshack wrote:
Looks like someone just used the erase tool to erase the cloud >.>


Is there a video-editing erase tool that could be used that way? o_o (I know very little about video.)

I wish life came with a real-world erase tool... or an undo key. XD
pscompanies
quex wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Looks like someone just used the erase tool to erase the cloud >.>


Is there a video-editing erase tool that could be used that way? o_o (I know very little about video.)

I wish life came with a real-world erase tool... or an undo key. XD


I'm pretty sure video editing to that extent is possible with modern equipment.

Haha doesn't everyone wish for that? Wink
Jinx
quex wrote:

O,O!

That's fresh thinking! Again, besides arguing the (admittedly false) "rarity of coincidence" angle, that a meteor would just happen to be passing as the missiles were launched, a small meteor could indeed have punched through the clouds in that exact manor. Especially the vaporization part. I like this theory! ^_^b


The "rarity of coincidence" argument would be even less effective considering we were in the midst of the Leonid meteor shower at the time that footage was taken (I think, or maybe it was the Perseids?).

I do like the idea of a real life erase tool... but it would be far too dangerous in the wrong hands. Smile
quex
Jinx wrote:

The "rarity of coincidence" argument would be even less effective considering we were in the midst of the Leonid meteor shower at the time that footage was taken (I think, or maybe it was the Perseids?).


I was hoping someone else would clarify that. ;_;
supernova1987a
The only thing that is clear is that the world is preparing for the third world war. When is it going to be is the question that arises next. Maybe it will start in the centennial anniversary of the First World War or the Second World War. Who knows? 2012, maybe? Just a thought!
quex
supernova1987a wrote:
The only thing that is clear is that the world is preparing for the third world war. When is it going to be is the question that arises next. Maybe it will start in the centennial anniversary of the First World War or the Second World War. Who knows? 2012, maybe? Just a thought!


o_o'

How exactly did this become so clear to you? And what has to happen before you'll call it a war?

One could argue that we are currently involved in a "world" war... here's a list of countries that have participated in the war in Iraq, and here's the list of countries who currently have troops stationed in Afghanistan.

United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Canada, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Australia, Spain, Romania, Turkey, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Sweden, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Hungary, and New Zealand; that's a pretty big chunk of the world right there. Unless your definition of a world war stipulates a battle between sovereign states -- rather than a military effort to remove the radical elements therein -- we are in a war spread farther around the world than ever before.

And for the love of-... not this 2012 crap. Having spent some 4 years studying Mesoamerican art and folklore, I feel like punching anyone who says "OMG Mayan calendar says end of the world!" Do you freak out every year when your desk calendar runs out of pages? No, you go out and get a new one. That's exactly what's happening here; the calendar is running out. It's just that the Mayan long-count calendar is, well, LONG. They go for many years at a time, and the creators who did all the math in the first place did it far enough into their future that we're still ticking off the days now. But just as nobody in today is printing calendars for the year 4001, the Maya didn't see fit to plan out and write down the next cycle.

-_- It is an unconscionable fault of an intelligent humankind that we are still scamming one another (and allowing ourselves to be so easily duped!) with end-of-the-world scare tactics.
ocalhoun
quex wrote:

-_- It is an unconscionable fault of an intelligent humankind that we are still scamming one another (and allowing ourselves to be so easily duped!) with end-of-the-world scare tactics.

At least the scare over this particular crisis hasn't been exploited beyond selling a few movie tickets...

Though, fear is a powerful tool; I wouldn't be surprised to see people taking advantage over the fear of the stupid masses as the 2012 date comes closer.

Maybe I Should find a way to exploit it... Sell survival kits, predict the second coming of Christ... I'm sure I can think of something.
... I would need a way to politicize it, and create controversy, and therefore publicity. Blaming the 2012 crisis on Obama should do the trick.
quex
ocalhoun wrote:
quex wrote:

-_- It is an unconscionable fault of an intelligent humankind that we are still scamming one another (and allowing ourselves to be so easily duped!) with end-of-the-world scare tactics.

At least the scare over this particular crisis hasn't been exploited beyond selling a few movie tickets...


From Wikipedia:

Quote:
On November 12, 2008, the studio released the first teaser trailer for 2012 that showed a megatsunami surging over the Himalayas... The trailer ended with a message to viewers to "find out the truth" by searching "2012" on search engines. The Guardian criticized the marketing effectiveness as "deeply flawed" and associated it with "websites that make even more spurious claims about 2012".[77]

The studio also launched a viral marketing website operated by the fictional Institute for Human Continuity, where filmgoers could register for a lottery number to be part of a small population that would be rescued from the global destruction.[78] The fictitious website lists the Nibiru collision, a galactic alignment, and increased solar activity among its possible doomsday scenarios.[79] David Morrison of NASA has received over 1000 inquiries from people who thought the website was genuine and has condemned it, saying "I've even had cases of teenagers writing to me saying they are contemplating suicide because they don't want to see the world end. I think when you lie on the Internet and scare children in order to make a buck, that is ethically wrong."[80]


ocalhoun wrote:
Though, fear is a powerful tool; I wouldn't be surprised to see people taking advantage over the fear of the stupid masses as the 2012 date comes closer.


There are cults. Insane ones. And ones that already existed are starting to use 2012 to increase their numbers and galvanize their followers. Here's another one.

Quote:
Maybe I Should find a way to exploit it... Sell survival kits, predict the second coming of Christ... I'm sure I can think of something.
... I would need a way to politicize it, and create controversy, and therefore publicity. Blaming the 2012 crisis on Obama should do the trick.


Looks like somebody's beaten you to it.

I suggest that we start a scientific timewave dualmagnetic metaenergy theory that proves if we re-elect Obama in 2012, the end of the world will be averted. :D Or you can join my cult, the Holy Temple of "Everything is going to be fine, calm down and be nice to each other."
Related topics
Video editing software
The UFO has floated in early morning in Shenyang
Frankfurt Motor Show, 2005
Justification for War in Iraq
what is 3g
About animation software?
Do Aliens Exist?
Hezbollah shows increasing technical aptitude.
COMMAND & CONQUER: GENERALS - I LOVE! THIS GAME!
Müzik listesi
Windows Movie playing in Paint??
amerika-iran
Musings on agnosticism
North Korea cut emergency phone to south
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Science -> The Universe

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.