FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Prettier than Crysis

tony
Does anyone know of a video game which is prettier than Crysis?

(and yes I know this is quite a subjective question Razz)
wombatrpgs
REALLY subjective question. And pretty doesn't necessarily imply flawless graphics/rendering and whatever. For instance, the Touhou series is very "pretty" because of the symmetry and patterns of the bullet waves.
Helios
It's only as pretty (i.e. good graphics) as you convince yourself it is.

Don't waste your time on searching for a graphically perfect game.
But, if you insist, you should be looking for a game more detailed than Crysis.
"Pretty" or not is a very subjective thing, as wombatrpgs said.
blk3
I think it depends on the person, if the graphics are pretty or not. Not that everyone has same taste graphically.
wombatrpgs
Or pretty could just imply visually pleasing, even if it's not 'good' graphically. Can anyone think of a low-res game with some decent imagery?
Agent ME
wombatrpgs wrote:
Or pretty could just imply visually pleasing, even if it's not 'good' graphically. Can anyone think of a low-res game with some decent imagery?

I always liked Super Mario World's graphics, very simple and colorful.
Braid is probably the prettiest 2d game I've seen and is somewhat recent.
LostOverThere
The thing that always gets me with games is a nice art style. Like Super Mario Galaxy, Metal Gear Solid 4, Okami, or Red Steel 2.

However, if you're asking about detail, then undoubtedly Uncharted 2. That game is looking simply amazing.
Nameless
Any given roguelike game that uses ASCII. The letters are flawless, you can't design a more effective and easy on the eye font than that! Razz
Star Wars Fanatic
tony wrote:
Does anyone know of a video game which is prettier than Crysis?

(and yes I know this is quite a subjective question Razz)

In my humble opinion, no, there isn't, I'm still seeing news reports on people running Crysis on bigger and bigger displays, and higher and higher resolutions, it's amazing.

You have to take into account the fact that you can raise the quality of PC games whereas console games are locked into a specific quality so it will run.
That's why games like Uncharted 2, while beautiful, don't approach the looks of Crysis on a maxed out PC.

You also have to take into account what kind of PC is running it, if you have everything on low, then there is probably a better looking game that can run just slightly higher on that machine.
Nameless
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
I'm still seeing news reports on people running Crysis on bigger and bigger displays, and higher and higher resolutions, it's amazing.

Slow news days much?
wombatrpgs
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:

In my humble opinion, no, there isn't, I'm still seeing news reports on people running Crysis on bigger and bigger displays, and higher and higher resolutions, it's amazing.

You have to take into account the fact that you can raise the quality of PC games whereas console games are locked into a specific quality so it will run.
That's why games like Uncharted 2, while beautiful, don't approach the looks of Crysis on a maxed out PC.

You also have to take into account what kind of PC is running it, if you have everything on low, then there is probably a better looking game that can run just slightly higher on that machine.

There is a limit on how realistic you can get anyway. And that also assumes realism = pretty.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
However, if you're asking about detail, then undoubtedly Uncharted 2. That game is looking simply amazing.

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. This game makes me want to go out buy a PS3, buy the game then go out and buy a 50 inch Plasma TV to play on. Razz Stupid 480i televisions!

The game looks AWESOME, like screw the gameplay (which also is AWESOME) the graphics make up the whole game, maybe not all of it but wow they're unreal.
william
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. This game makes me want to go out buy a PS3, buy the game then go out and buy a 50 inch Plasma TV to play on. Razz Stupid 480i televisions!

The game looks AWESOME, like screw the gameplay (which also is AWESOME) the graphics make up the whole game, maybe not all of it but wow they're unreal.

I have to agree with this as well. Well, maybe not the greatest detail of all time, but it has to be at least in the top five. Natively it's only 720p, but even still those little details are stunning. The developers really took pride in their work, something I wish others would do...
LostOverThere
william wrote:
I have to agree with this as well. Well, maybe not the greatest detail of all time, but it has to be at least in the top five. Natively it's only 720p, but even still those little details are stunning. The developers really took pride in their work, something I wish others would do...

Trust me, I'm sure the Uncharted 2 developers are feeling a hell of a lot of pride right about now. Smile
Diablosblizz
LostOverThere wrote:
Trust me, I'm sure the Uncharted 2 developers are feeling a hell of a lot of pride right about now. Smile

I would.... for anybody who would like to view a nice game-review trailer type thing here's a link:

http://www.screwattack.com/VGR/Uncharted2

Amazing, even on standard detail.
catscratches
I think Uncharted 2 looks completely horrible. Especially the animations. Yuck.
wombatrpgs
I wouldn't call it ugly, but definitely not my preference... Detailed: yes, pretty: not so much.
weableandbob
Crysis is the "prettiest" i've seen, although it will have to be bested someday
achowles
I'd say Trine, Braid and Machinarium are all 'prettier'.

But what I assume you're asking is: What has the most technically impressive graphics?

In which case, I'd point out Crysis Warhead as a starting point. The Crysis engine was a bloated, inefficient, resource hog. Warhead saw it both refined and improved. Another one is DiRT 2 which is extremely impressive and very photo real at times.
catscratches
achowles wrote:
Machinarium
<3 Prettiest game evar.
lethaltriad
Another nod for Machinarium even though its a much different genre of gaming, Crysis is pretty but i also love the newer car games, looks almost real life
wombatrpgs
Machinarium is more stylized than realistic though. I prefer that.
Nameless
wombatrpgs wrote:
And that also assumes realism = pretty.

+1

Anime style graphics can be absurdly pretty when done well, whereas realistic blood and guts are ugly. Actually, real people are ugly too if you get TOO detailed. (Look at your skin through a microscope.) Want realistic graphics? Play sport IRL. Done.
achowles
catscratches wrote:
achowles wrote:
Machinarium
<3 Prettiest game evar.

My sentiments exactly. I want to see what Amanita Design come up with next. Although it could be a while...
Insanity
I hate how graphics are the factor that restricts the player base. It's usually the one factor that determines whether or not your computer can handle it, most of the time. I mean, sure Crysis looks pretty awesome and everything, but even if you use the lowest settings possible, it alienates a lot of the gaming populace... this is sad for anyone who just wants to play the game regardless of graphics. This is not to say that graphics are bad, but just that there are a lot of people who won't be playing these awesome games because they're so expensive to get to run.
lethaltriad
^Same thing I hated with Need for Speed Games, they have a new one every year around October/November and its like you have to keep updated your GPU and system to keep up or you have to lower your graphic setting. What I find though is that they concentrate more on pretty graphics and less on gameplay. Much prefer NFS Undergroud to any of the latest NFS games for the last couple years and also with Crysis and Far Cry, much prefered Far Cry and Crysis looks great but I wasnt so eager to finish it.
DeViL-WaR
łał
wombatrpgs
DeViL-WaR wrote:
łał

Is that a reaction to Crysis's graphics or something else...?
achowles
wombatrpgs wrote:
DeViL-WaR wrote:
łał

Is that a reaction to Crysis's graphics or something else...?

Well I kinda doubt there's a game with that name out there. Razz But you never know, I suppose.