FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spain again

chasbeen
No doubt someone has commented on this country but i'm starting a new topic anyway.
Been back a couple of weeks from Sunny Spain (South about an hour from Malaga airport),
First time back for 10 years. I used to live in England and visit it ever 3 or 4 years,
First viswit on honeymoon in 1983.
1983. You could buy a weeks groceries for half the price compared to the UK and eating out was very cheap.
Loved going back to this beautiful countryu but unfortunately it costs more to live ther than Canada and even England.

Taxi 1 hour cost 100 Euros which is about 170 Canadian at the moment or over 100 quid UK
Nice meal out (No booze) 70 Euro's per head.

Well worth going back for me, despite the cost.
bmcbryan
chasbeen wrote:
No doubt someone has commented on this country but i'm starting a new topic anyway.
Been back a couple of weeks from Sunny Spain (South about an hour from Malaga airport),
First time back for 10 years. I used to live in England and visit it ever 3 or 4 years,
First viswit on honeymoon in 1983.
1983. You could buy a weeks groceries for half the price compared to the UK and eating out was very cheap.
Loved going back to this beautiful countryu but unfortunately it costs more to live ther than Canada and even England.

Taxi 1 hour cost 100 Euros which is about 170 Canadian at the moment or over 100 quid UK
Nice meal out (No booze) 70 Euro's per head.

Well worth going back for me, despite the cost.

I love Spain - go there regularly, but I avoid the Costa-del-Sol. It is the most heavily over-developed tourist area, and full of non-Spaniards. I would recommend going inland into Andalusia, or the Sierra Nevada - small white villages - really nice. Also much less expensive than the Costa, and really genuine Spanish people and food.
chasbeen
Quote:
but I avoid the Costa-del-Sol. It is the most heavily over-developed tourist area

And i'm afraid they really have overdone it.
As I stated they are pricing the tourists away along the Costa but I suspect that Spain is good value inland as you suggest.
In addition, for people who bought property there (who were non-residents) less than 15 years ago in the hope of retiring there it is a disaster.
They brought in new laws that said the foreign owners would have to pay back a large percentage to the Spanish if they were liquidating.

Scary eh?