FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone know how to get rid of burnt food smells?

deanhills
Does anyone know of a way to get rid of burnt food smells so that one does not have to spray a bunch of chemicals to get rid of the lingering "burnt" smell? Like using bicarbonate of soda for the inside of a fridge, is there a natural trick for "cleaning" the air of "burnt" food smells?
carlospro7
One thing my wife does is burn incents. The smoke from it will usually take over, and to me, since I'm inside the house, the smell of burnt food disappears, but I don't know if guests or people that just walked into the house would smell it. Anyway, I think it's a good solution because I've gotten to like the smell of incents, but I would be interested to hear what other methods people use (I was just wondering this not too long ago)
badai
why don't you install exhaust fan in your kitchen?
deanhills
badai wrote:
why don't you install exhaust fan in your kitchen?
I have everything, air-conditioning, fans, spray, everything, but that burnt smell still lingers. Hopefully tonight by the time I get home there will be less of it.
jwellsy
Was it microwave popcorn? I think it's a case of gaseous dilution being the solution. Stick a fan in the window or screen door to blow out and open a window only on the opposite end of the house. That's what I did when I self-cleaned the oven this past week. I ran the window exhaust fan for about 10 hours after the cleaning and it did a great job of getting rid of that burnt smell from the whole house.
Ophois
Wiki answers is your friend:
Wiki answers wrote:
There are several things that you can do to rid the house of burnt food odors. First, try opening several windows. The fresh air will soon flush out the burnt smells. If weather does not permit, boil one quart of water with two cups of white vinegar. Allow the mix to simmer for about 30 minutes. The mixture will absorb the odors. The last trick is place pieces of white bread that have a little vinegar on them around the house. Again, the odors will be absorbed into the bread.
The part in bold is what I would recommend. I don't know about where you live, but here in Florida, if we start leaving bits of vinegar soaked bread around the house, we get giant mutant cockroaches lurking around.
carlospro7
Ophois wrote:
Wiki answers wrote:
There are several things that you can do to rid the house of burnt food odors. First, try opening several windows. The fresh air will soon flush out the burnt smells. If weather does not permit, boil one quart of water with two cups of white vinegar. Allow the mix to simmer for about 30 minutes. The mixture will absorb the odors. The last trick is place pieces of white bread that have a little vinegar on them around the house. Again, the odors will be absorbed into the bread.
The part in bold is what I would recommend. I don't know about where you live, but here in Florida, if we start leaving bits of vinegar soaked bread around the house, we get giant mutant cockroaches lurking around.

Interesting suggestion. I don't like the smell of vinegar though. I would rather have the smell of burnt food lingering around. Would this method substitute the smell of burnt food for that of vinegar? or would they cancel each other out? I'm not sure how that would work.
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
Wiki answers wrote:
This is awesome advice, and just what I was looking for, many thanks. The "spray" I used did help, but of course masked the burnt smell, it did not get rid of it. Most of the smell is gone now, but I was looking for a home remedy, and I have heard about the many uses of vinegar.

Since I live in the Middle East we use our air conditioners year round, and it does get musty from time to time, so think even if I do not have "burnt smells", that I will try the vinegar trick for that as well.
Ophois
As far as I know, the vinegar is supposed to soak up the burnt smell, and cancel each other out. I have not tried it, luckily I haven't burnt any food in a while. But next time I do, I will try it and let you know how it goes.
chad
[quote="Ophois"]Wiki answers is your friend:
Wiki answers wrote:
The part in bold is what I would recommend. I don't know about where you live, but here in Florida, if we start leaving bits of vinegar soaked bread around the house, we get giant mutant cockroaches lurking around.[/quo my wife left a burner on med high for 2 HOURS with chili in it and filled the whole house with SMOKE and days later it still smells BAD. we have had windows open candels and fans running non stop. what else can we do?
myqute
Open the window. Sometimes all you need to do is just to clean kitchen surfaces (water diluted with baking powder or lemon juice is fine).

Use essential oils in kitchen (ask an aromatherapist on what's suggested to get rid of burnt smells in the kitchen).

RELATED INFO
‎10 Medicinal Uses and Health Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
http://su.pr/6hQcYm

Oil of Oregano
http://tinyurl.com/oreganooils

Pine Oil
http://tinyurl.com/pineoil

The THIEVES Oil also mentioned here:
http://tinyurl.com/3t4nbzj

Clove oil
http://tinyurl.com/clovesoil