FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Snow already... sometimes South Dakota is not fun!

ocalhoun
Well, it's been raining and below 40 Fahrenheit for three days now, and today, there's already snow on the ground!

Taken today:

This is gonna be a bad winter...
Anybody else live in a place like that?
deanhills
I guess the days have become shorter too. Think that is what I most hate about Northern winters, when everything starts to go dark in the middle of the afternoon. Brrrrrr ....... Smile
carlospro7
Not that cold yet but the weather is all over the place in Ohio. One day it was 80s the next day was unexpectedly cold. After that the weather has been going from low 40s to upper 70s.
missdixy
Wow, I can't believe it. If it snowed here in chicago already I would freak out Crying or Very sad
[FuN]goku
I wish we'd get some snow up here in Nova Scotia early. I love snow! I love the cold, and anytime I see snow , for whatever reason, I'm about 10x happier Razz
Arty
How lucky! It only snows once a year here in Texas.
Ghost Rider103
ocalhoun wrote:

I do, infact we both live in the same state. Though I believe you already knew that.

We haven't had snow in the part of South Dakota where I am yet, but it has been cold already and has been raining just about everyday.

I sure dislike South Dakota's weather.
Ophois
I feel for you. When I was in high school, I had a good friend from Brookings, SD. I visited him during Christmas break one year. All I have to say is: Christmas in Brookings, SD, is more white than Steve Buscemis' ass.

Can I ask what keeps you in those climes? Is it family? Or maybe you just grew up around there? Myself, I like to stay in more tropical climes. As much as I bitch and moan about the heat and humidity, I really do love it.
Ghost Rider103
I didn't grow up here, I moved to South Dakota about three years ago.

I do have family here, though I do plan to move out of here within the next year or two.

Not only do I hate the winter here, I also hate the summer. The summer here is probably pretty similar to a tropical place also. We have extremely humid and hot weather, so it sucks. I'm from California, so I am used to being in dry heat, nearly 0% humidity all the time, and that is what I really enjoy.
Melacos
Wow, and I thought Denmark was bad:p.. Here it has just made the 'turn' to autumn, and degrees (in celsius though) have dropped with like 10 in just 2 weeks. But that's pretty mild still, compared to your place!
deanhills
Guess my ideal places in the US would be anywhere in California (excluding San Francisco SF is good for a visit, but not to live in .... too cold and too rainy), Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. Salt Lake City would also be OK. It has a dry cold with snow in the mountains. I like dry heat and Florida and Louisiana Mississippi heat would be much too humid for me.
ocalhoun
Ophois wrote:

Can I ask what keeps you in those climes?

Well, for me, work: the same reason I went there in the first place.
When working in the military, you can choose where to go but, 'the needs of the air force come first', so I went to South Dakota.

The winters are awful, but I like the area- lots to do and very rural. Also, laws are more relaxed (for a few examples, ATV's are street legal, concealed carry gun permits are easy to get, and there are absolutely no emissions requirements for vehicles.)

I'll have to disagree on the summers here. They're great. Compared to the deep South where I grew up, the summers here are breezy, dry, and not excessively hot.
Ghost Rider103
Ocalhoun, if I remember correctly, you live in more of a desert type area of South Dakota. Sort of by the badlands, correct?

It is a lot more dry there, especially during the summer.

However, I am more South East in South Dakota. It is much more green here, all the time. There is no dirt in sight, even during the summer time. Making for an extremely humid place.

The badlands are nice during the summer. But as you go off into the east of South Dakota, it gets bad.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Ocalhoun, if I remember correctly, you live in more of a desert type area of South Dakota. Sort of by the badlands, correct?

Between the badlands and the black hills. It is a good area, and very dry most of the time. (Not the last week though!)
Jinx
Being a truck driver I have to keep an eye on the weather all the time. We ran through a little snow up on Elk Mountain in Wyoming last week - but then the lady who works at a truck stop up there says they've had snow in the middle of August before. Cabbage (a tough mountain pass near Pendleton, OR) was looking at four feet the other night, but I'm not sure how much they actually got. I talked to a driver who came through there who said they didn't even clear the roads, he was driving on packed snow. I'm just glad I didn't have to drive in it.

We're headed for the middle of Florida right now - the land where summer never ends and they complain about the cold if it dips below 60 degrees F.

Ocalhoun - What part of the deep south are you from? I claim Gulf Shores, Alabama as home, but I'm a Navy brat, and I've lived all over the South.

South Dakota dryness is a big change from southern humidity. I've been living in Kansas for a while, and every time I go back to Alabama it strikes me how hard it is to get re-acclimatized to air so thick you can grab a handful and wring out a cup of water.
ocalhoun
Jinx wrote:

Ocalhoun - What part of the deep south are you from? I claim Gulf Shores, Alabama as home, but I'm a Navy brat, and I've lived all over the South.

Central Florida, then Mississippi for a while.
deanhills
I'm not an IT expert and have been trying to figure this one out. Bondings indicated that Frihost is due for a move on 7 October at 12am Central Time Zone. Does that then mean our servers are located in the area you live in? Also would that then mean that your reception would be better? I.e. you would be closer to the hub?
standready
I have seen snow here (just southeast of Chicago [where they won't the games in 2016!!]) in early October. Had to shovel it!

@ocalhoun - get that jeep fixed.
Ghost Rider103
We now have snow in our forecast for this Friday. Sad

I too think this winter is going to be bad. I think we had a pretty bad winter last year, and it seems this one is only going to be worse. I'm curious to see what kind of weather is ahead of us, even though I really hate snow and cold weather.

I wish it would stay summer all year around.
Diablosblizz
I live in Ontario, weather right now is pretty cruddy, constantly raining. I don't hate it though, I love snow and I love rain. Smile It's just pretty windy right now.
tony
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, it's been raining and below 40 Fahrenheit for three days now, and today, there's already snow on the ground!

Taken today:

Wow! From the photo you have provided, it looks very very frigid!! Put on some extra clothing, double underwear, etc and find some fire Razz Whoa!
Aredon
Pretty long ways south of you, but it's supposed to snow here this weekend. Not that I'm surprised really; a few years ago it was snowing in April. Good 'ol climate change right? Sad
b4r4t
Well ... snow is always better than ... Wind (i think 8m/s => 19mph) + Rain + Cold (8-10*C => 46-50F) ... and that's the weather in my country/city today ... it will be simmilar tommorow and all the weekend :/
I hate winter but this weather is even worse ...
Helios
I wish we had snow at all in Israel.
Sometimes we have snow-like hail, but that's like once every 4 years or so.
It's still above 25*C here in the middle of the day. Sad
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I'm not an IT expert and have been trying to figure this one out. Bondings indicated that Frihost is due for a move on 7 October at 12am Central Time Zone. Does that then mean our servers are located in the area you live in? Also would that then mean that your reception would be better? I.e. you would be closer to the hub?

As far as I know, the Frihost servers are in Texas... It's almost precisely due South of me, but a long way to the South.

b4r4t wrote:
Well ... snow is always better than ... Wind (i think 8m/s => 19mph) + Rain + Cold (8-10*C => 46-50F) ... and that's the weather in my country/city today ... it will be simmilar tommorow and all the weekend :/
I hate winter but this weather is even worse ...

No, it can be worse... try 34F (just above freezing) with 60mph wind gusts and rain, then the temperature drops, and the water on the ground freezes and the rain turns into snow (the heavy, wet kind that turns into icy water when it hits you). Not fun.
tony wrote:

Wow! From the photo you have provided, it looks very very frigid!! Put on some extra clothing, double underwear, etc and find some fire Razz Whoa!

^.^
Not frigid yet... barely below freezing; winter's just starting, after all.
erlendhg
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, yes.
I live in the northern region of Norway, and we have had snow now for several days, actually.
Also, I just came home from a small vacation in Gran Canary, so it was really a big contrast in climate to come back home.

EDIT

And I forgot to say, we have had about 37 degrees Farenheit (2-3 degrees Celsius, which we use in Norway) this whole week.
Aredon
ocalhoun wrote:
No, it can be worse... try 34F (just above freezing) with 60mph wind gusts and rain, then the temperature drops, and the water on the ground freezes and the rain turns into snow (the heavy, wet kind that turns into icy water when it hits you). Not fun.

Ugh I hate days like that, at least when it's cold enough the snow is more or less dry when it hits your coat. Freezing rain is absolutely miserable. Sad
Fatality
We got snow overnight in the Minneapolis area last night. The forecast said we would get it, but I didn't believe it. The snow has since melted, but for as long as I can remember this is the earliest we've had snow actually stick the ground for awhile. When the sun came up it made quick work of melting it all.
ocalhoun
erlendhg wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, yes.
I live in the northern region of Norway, and we have had snow now for several days, actually.

Inside the Arctic Circle? Yeah, I guess that would do it. ^.^

That's just wrong though... That I'm having weather similar to someone who lives 2,500KM North of me. Not fair.
Ghost Rider103
Got snow here a couple days ago.

Last night temperature dropped below 10 degrees. So it was extremely cold. Guess we are going to have cold weather from here on out.
kriszara
Where I live is just the opposite of the OP.
It just recently dipped below 100 degrees here.
The AC still comes on most afternoons. Of course my summer time high is usually 115 here.
biljap
The weather changes very quickly here where I live…
Last week it was very warm, like it is July and not October. Today it is raining; it is VERY windy, and too cold for me to adopt this change… I already miss summer and it is going to be just colder and colder… Crying or Very sad
goutha
The weather is become more and more bizarre.

Hot in places where it's supposed to be cooler. Seasons are also melting.

Storms everywhere. It's really bad!
Aredon
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Got snow here a couple days ago.

Last night temperature dropped below 10 degrees. So it was extremely cold. Guess we are going to have cold weather from here on out.
Yeah seems that way here too. It's really cold for this time of year! Sad Guess I better keep the computer going all night to keep my room warm. Rolling Eyes
b4r4t
Ok ... about the weather once more ... few pictures from poland (yesterday, today...)

http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/Wiadomosci/5,80291,7144265,Cofka__wichury_i_snieg___zalamanie_pogody_w_calej.html

In my city there is only strong wind and rain but some cities ... look yourself ... :/
Small country and ... Snow in one part (even -14*C) and Rain in other ... (for example at sea cities there is even 10-12B storm...)
TurtleShell
ocalhoun, I'm wondering under what circumstances south dakota is fun? I haven't ever been there, and I'm wondering. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to be mean. it's more like... I don't really know anything about South Dakota.

Re: the snow--I am going on my second year in LA now and I miss snow. Tuesday and Wednesday we finally had rain for the first time in, like, six months. The lack of anything but gorgeous weather here is outrageous to me (a midwest girl). I miss the moody skies of Illinois.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
erlendhg wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, yes.

That's just wrong though... That I'm having weather similar to someone who lives 2,500KM North of me. Not fair.
Are you sure it is the same though? I lived in Vancouver, BC for a great number of years, worst part for me were the very short days in winter and the too long days in summer. At 3:30 p.m. in winder, when we could look out of the building, it would already be dark, and pretty miserable with constant piddly drizzly rain. I far prefer the weather in Calgary and Saskatoon, with many more sunshine days. Winters are longer, but more bearable, I also like the snow. Much preferable to thin piddly drizzly rain.
pll
ocalhoun wrote:

Your not alone, here in quebec we've got some -6 C tonight!

We had snow on our last sunday (lucky that it was only a little snowing, not enough to put a white carpet on the ground).

WINTER IS COMING EVERYBODY!
(I should move to california at this time of the year Cool )
Magicman
It snowed today in Pennsylvania (and Connecticut, New Jersey, and some other east coast states most likely). It seems far too early for there to be snow here.
deanhills
pll wrote:
(I should move to california at this time of the year Cool )
Right, or at least plan for a holiday in December - February and permanently hold that picture in your mind until summer is back again. I remember when I was in Vancouver and we have had a non-stop winter rain session from November to March, that I would take the McNally's Road map out and mentally work on a holiday in New Mexico. The worst time for me is always when winter is supposed to end, and it just does not want to go away Shocked Laughing
ocalhoun
TurtleShell wrote:
ocalhoun, I'm wondering under what circumstances south dakota is fun? I haven't ever been there, and I'm wondering. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to be mean. it's more like... I don't really know anything about South Dakota.

It's plenty fun when the weather's nice... there's two national parks, two national forests, and two national monuments nearby (within a 70 mile circle of where I live), besides all the private land that can be accessed sometimes.
Great for hiking, off-road driving, hunting, riding, pretty much anything outdoors...
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
TurtleShell wrote:

It's plenty fun when the weather's nice... there's two national parks, two national forests, and two national monuments nearby (within a 70 mile circle of where I live), besides all the private land that can be accessed sometimes.
Great for hiking, off-road driving, hunting, riding, pretty much anything outdoors...
I can imagine another plus has to be lots of space per person, as it would not be as heavily populated as California, Texas and New York for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population
erlendhg
ocalhoun wrote:
erlendhg wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, yes.

Yes, that is indeed true. Actually now, most of the snow here have melted, but in middle of the winter, we will probably have about 5 to -5 degrees Fahrenheit
Diablosblizz
And they say Canada is cold... still no snow here although there was a chance last Thursday.
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
And they say Canada is cold... still no snow here although there was a chance last Thursday.
Which part of Canada are you in? Vancouver usually has a couple of months less summer. Unless it is raining, there should still be some good last autumn days to be enjoyed.
Diablosblizz
Ontario, currently where I am (won't release that, sorry) there hasn't been any.
deanhills
Diablosblizz wrote:
Ontario, currently where I am (won't release that, sorry) there hasn't been any.
Glad I'm not living there, crappy weather in winter and crappy weather in summer. Looks as though usually the worst part of the winter is around January/February, and then it just keeps on dragging after that. During summer it is awfully humid and uncomfortable, with some dreadful thunder storms. Also plenty of bugs in summer, especially when you get to the more northern parts of Ontario.
Diablosblizz
deanhills wrote:
Glad I'm not living there, crappy weather in winter and crappy weather in summer. Looks as though usually the worst part of the winter is around January/February, and then it just keeps on dragging after that. During summer it is awfully humid and uncomfortable, with some dreadful thunder storms. Also plenty of bugs in summer, especially when you get to the more northern parts of Ontario.

Yes sir, I personally hate summer. I think it's from the humidity, I just can't handle it. Bugs weren't too bad this summer, if you really classified it as a summer... -.-''