FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows XP randomly locking up

LostOverThere
Hello,

In the past week, my Windows XP install has been locking up randomly with the only solution being to pull the plug on the power. This has occurred twice while playing Half Life 2: Episode One, and three times while browsing the web with Firefox - even when doing mundane stuff like using Google.

I have not install anything recently, and all my virus software is up to date. I've scanned my computer using a number of different programs (Ad-Aware Pro, Spybot, Super Anti Spyware, Trend Micro) and I'm fairly sure it isn't a virus.

Regards,
-LostOverThere
bloodrider
Confirm you drivers, maybe it's something related to them. Use System Recovery and go to an older point, test with that parameters, it may stop, then you only have to discover what was doing the conflict.
Other thing maybe overheating, is your PC too hot?

Don't you receive a error message after you reboot? That description would be useful Exclamation
Asap170
First off don't pull the plug from your computer. Hold down the power button until the computer shuts off. Also if the system restore doesn't work BACK YOUR COMPUTER UP. And then re-install windows. But make sure your system is backed up.
LostOverThere
Hey guys, thanks for the tips. My PC is still locking up. I didn't receive any error message, as it's a lock up and I definitely wont be reinstalling Windows just yet.

Thanks for the tips though.
Diablosblizz
If you can, quickly check the Event Viewer for errors / problems that may be reported.
airh3ad
Better to run the windows xp cd and repair it
Bielhelm
How old is you Graphiccard?
Maybe you have some problems with the power consumption?
Freezing and rebooting while playing, could be a big error that could kill your pc or the manboard.
I swear! I ****** up 2 Powersupplies with that in my life.

1st: try to lower your graphical power with the Softwaredriver installed.
2nd: try to get a new PowerSuppy with + 50 W plus Consumption of your old one
3rd: buy a new graphiccard
caa-noise
LostOverThere wrote:
Hello,

In the past week, my Windows XP install has been locking up randomly with the only solution being to pull the plug on the power. This has occurred twice while playing Half Life 2: Episode One, and three times while browsing the web with Firefox - even when doing mundane stuff like using Google.

I have not install anything recently, and all my virus software is up to date. I've scanned my computer using a number of different programs (Ad-Aware Pro, Spybot, Super Anti Spyware, Trend Micro) and I'm fairly sure it isn't a virus.

Regards,
-LostOverThere

This is the sign! Wink
Look to Linux way! I am enjoyed so much by using ubuntu. Very Happy
Fire Boar
LostOverThere wrote:
Hello,

Regards,
-LostOverThere

It happens. It's called "Microsoft trying to make you buy a new computer", and happens to all versions of Windows after about 5 years (the change is gradual, but really noticeable by then).

The solution is to back up all your data and wipe your hard drive, installing the operating system from scratch. You could start the cycle again with Windows if you like, or as caa-noise has pointed out there are very good alternatives that don't slow down, randomly freeze, require anti-virus, cost anything at all, etc.
Sunny
Actually a computer can freeze because of many reasons, it could be hardware, software or virus problems. If you're thinking to reinstall xp, it might fix the problem only if its software related. Few of the suggestions above might be worth trying but its better to try things in order which are easier to do and will narrow down the problem. If I was in your shoes I'd this.

1) CHECK THE PC FOR OVERHEATING - when pc hangs ,and you reset it, press del or f2 key to go to setup, here you will find a option hardware monitor...check the temperature of pc and also the voltages, if its on higher side post back here.

2)RESEAT THE RAM - Take the ram out , gently clean the contacts using an pencil eraser and reseat it.If u have 2 rams installed take 1 out and run pc on other and then vice versa.

3)Make sure the fan above the processor is running fine and there is not lot of dust in it.

4)when the computer is restarting press f8 to get safe mode option and select it. Check if computer still freezes in safe mode.If it still hangs then its a bit unlikely that its a virus problem.

5)Go to start > run type restore, a new folder will open. double click rstrui.exe file to launch system restore. check "restore my computer to earlier.. ", select a date when our pc was not freezing and was running fine and then click next .

6)when your computer is hanged, notice if the red (HDD)light on the computer is on if there is any weird sound coming from hard disk.

7) make sure the video card is firmly in.(if u have onboard video then ignore this)

if the problem is still not solved, report with above results.