FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Magic the Gathering (aka MTG)

mk12327
Has anyone of you heard of the trading card game "Magic the Gathering"? It was a strategy card game released by Wizards of the Coast in 1999. In their tenth anniversary set, they had decide to repackage the game by renaming certain cards, reorganising the game balance, and changing some of it's old rules. Anyone know about this game or has any comments on the changes they made? Another possible discussion would be that in this IT dominated generation, would traditional games still stand a chance?
Fire Boar
Of course! Ah, good times. I'm going to miss the old zone names though - "in play" was far more ambiguous than "the battlefield". Throw some cards from the very earliest sets into the mix and you've got about the most confusing game ever as you try to determine what the cards OUGHT to say.

E.g. when "Elvish Champion" was "All elves get +1/+1 and have forestwalk", with creature type "Lord". What did it mean in the context of itself? And what about when there was another, later Elvish Champion also in play, with the corrected text "Other Elf creatures get +1/+1 and have forestwalk", and type "Elf". Does the older copy boost the newer copy, but not vice versa? What about two older ones: do they boost each other? If so, once or twice? How about with two newer ones?

Answers to the above questions, in order:
- No, it does not include itself as an elf.
- Both boost each other, but only once (so +1/+1 for the Champions, +2/+2 for all other elves).
- They do boost each other, but only after the newer version with the amended text was printed. Before then, no.
- Once only.
- Likewise with the two newer ones.

Then we get a little further into the future, and have to fiddle around with such puzzling combos as Lifelink/Double-strike (Do you gain double life? What if the opposing creature dies on the first strike?), First-strike/wither (Is damage reduced by the player if it has been withered by the opponent's first-striker?), Exalted/"at end of turn" (Which happens first, losing the bonus power/toughness or resolving "at end of turn"? Often important if it involves damage.), and many more.

Still, it's great fun nonetheless. The classic card game, and about the only one worth more than a "oh, it's another lame attempt at a simplified MTG clone" from the TCG veterans. Smile
QrafTee
I played it more than a decade ago, but I still have friends who play it to this day.
tingkagol
I think it existed way before 1999.

EDIT: Yep, 1993.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering

I remember managing to save morsels of my allowance in high school just to buy magic packs worth Php80 at the time ($2). It was an extremely fun and addictive card game, but it ate off a chunk of what little money I had.
driftingfe3s
tingkagol wrote:

I remember managing to save morsels of my allowance in high school just to buy magic packs worth Php80 at the time ($2). It was an extremely fun and addictive card game, but it ate off a chunk of what little money I had.

Yeah, I remember I first started playing Magic back when I was in the 5th grade which was 1994 i think. I played it for another few years into the middle of junior high school. Then during high school there was a short revival of Magic among my friends and I played for a few weeks before putting away the cards for good.

I can't believe that there are new expansion and stuff still coming out. There are so many other card games out these days its amazing to see that Magic is still going strong.
mk12327
Fire Boar wrote:
Of course! Ah, good times. I'm going to miss the old zone names though - "in play" was far more ambiguous than "the battlefield". Throw some cards from the very earliest sets into the mix and you've got about the most confusing game ever as you try to determine what the cards OUGHT to say.

Indeed. The new wording and rules make i pretty confusing when you mix both the old and new cards together. In fact, Wizards of the Coast themselves knows about this and are actively trying to edit the rules to reflect and explain the changes.

Lately, I had started picking up this game again after a few years not touching it. I managed to gather some of my old "game buddies" to revive our interest in this game once again. But as mentioned by Fire Boar, the new cards made things pretty confusing and uncertain. Thus I have doubts about going full force in playing it at the moment. Currently i'm waiting to see if the new way of playing the game would be more fun or that the fun had been killed. (By the way, the new ruling no longer has the damage stack system.)

Some cards of old which used to be very expensive dropped alot in value as well due to reprints, and change in rulings.

tingkagol wrote:

Thanks for the correction![/quote]
sum12nv
go having infinite combos. infinite creature/mana and life. but hard to play =='. fav card is kiki-jiki.
oly0015
Well, alternatively if you would like there now is a MTG online game you can play thats been out for awhile. Least that way the game takes care of all the rules for you so there is less fuss about the entire ordeal. I tried it once and there was a lot of things I could swear worked a certain way but according to the official rules were not even close.