FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would upset you the most?

deanhills
If any of these things should happen to you one day, what would upset you the most to the least?

1. No more mobile phones (all the signals are down)
2. No more phones (you can't get a dialling tone on any of the land lines)
3. No more Internet (the whole of the world network is down)
4. No more TV (all TV is down)
5. No more movies (DVDs, Videos all of them)
6. No more games
7. No more computers
8. No more cars (only selected people in the world get to drive because of environmental crisis)
Twotone
No more internet of course....because then I wouldn't be able to read all the good posts here Smile

As a form of communication I think the internet is becoming more and more important in our everyday lives.

If that is a good or bad thing is up to each of us to decide for ourselves.
desonium
No more tv would upset me the most, because I do that when I have nothing else to do. I can watch tv the whole day, and the computer bores me after a few hour.
No more cars would be very frustating to, because it's very handy when you need to go somewere fast If it cant be done by bicycle.

so my list is:

1 no more tv
2 no more phone
2 no more cars
3 no more internet
4 no more movies
5 no more computers
6 no more games
7 no more mobile phones

The mobile phone upset me the least. Because I am not dependant of it. I'm not using him more than the normal phone. Wink
hunnyhiteshseth
Obviously, no more computers. Computers have really taken over our lives. Remember, when Y2K problem was expected to happen, the world went into frenzy and this was when problem even haven't happened! plus that was 10 years back, at this point of time, no computers means very well end of world as we know it!
Peterssidan
No more computers would upset me most. What is internet good for without computers, so internet is gone too in that case.

No more mobile phones would not be a problem, I don't use mine very often (maybe I should turn it on in case somebody wants to call me Wink).

no more tv is not a problem because I own no tv.

no more games/movies would be sad Sad

no more cars - hurray for the enviroment! Dancing
saratdear
Here is my list :

1. No more Internet (the whole of the world network is down)
2. No more computers
3. No more phones (you can't get a dialling tone on any of the land lines)
6. No more games
7. No more mobile phones (all the signals are down)
8. No more cars (only selected people in the world get to drive because of environmental crisis)

No more computers or internet affects me badly as well.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
If any of these things should happen to you one day, what would upset you the most to the least?

As long as I could still have horses, none of those would upset me very much.
Ophois
Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I'm hoping for all these things to happen.
Add in some massive flooding, earthquakes, volcanism(the whole 'Ring of Fire' going at once), maybe a smidge of crustal displacement, and some really heinous weather systems... and you have a recurring dream that I always wake up smiling from.

Seriously...
Quote:
1. No more mobile phones (all the signals are down)
"Electronic Leash", as I like to call it. You can have it.
Quote:
2. No more phones (you can't get a dialling tone on any of the land lines)
I don't have one anyway.
Quote:
3. No more Internet (the whole of the world network is down)
I would laugh with joy, just watching an entire generation of people sit there with that blank look of confusion on their face. I think I just had a joy-gasm thinking about it. Delicious.
Quote:
Tell ya what. If I prayed to God for TV to go away, and it happened, I would convert faster than you can say "Hallelujah!"
Quote:
With no TV, there wouldn't be any way to watch them. And what with the lack of creativity in film making these days, this would be another blessing.
Quote:
6. No more games
I assume you are talking about video games here. I rarely play them, so no biggie.
Quote:
7. No more computers
Without any interwebz, most people wouldn't even know what to do with a computer anyway. Really, I wouldn't care about it.
Quote:
Bad idea on that 'selected people' part. They would get robbed and killed regularly. No cars at all though? Fine. I'm with ocalhoun(Captain Equestro) on this one; as long as there are horses, It's all good.
carlospro7
From most to least.

1. No more Internet
2. No more computers
3. No more games
4. No more cars
6. No more movies
7. No more mobile phones
8. No more TV
9. No more phones

If I lose the internet, at least I still have a computer, and I ride my bike a lot, but I like to have a car. Don't care so much about TV because I don't have cable, and phones, there was a time I didn't have a mobile phone, and it wasn't too bad, but I do like the ability to call anyone anywhere, and landlines? don't have one.
Nick2008
From most to least here:

1. No more computers
2. No more games
3. No more TV
4. No more Internet
5. No more mobile phones
6. No more cars
7. No more movies
8. No more phones

Also, losing computers would have the biggest impact on the world. Hospitals would only be able to do basic procedures without diagnostic tools like x-rays and heart monitors. Electricity would start to malfunction as without computers it would be hard to monitor hundreds of miles of electric grid. There would be limited air travel as the Air Traffic Control network would be down. Satellites would begin to fall as there would be nothing to monitor their orbit. Some of us will have a hard time getting into our homes as electric gates wouldn't work properly. Elevators would have a hard time working, subways would be on limited services, and theft alarms wouldn't work so houses will start getting robbed on each street.

Yes, losing computers would upset me the most.
ocalhoun
Nick2008 wrote:
There would be limited air travel as the Air Traffic Control network would be down.

Well, perhaps at first, but computer controlled ATC systems are new... many airports are still using ATC systems with no computers whatsoever- just using older, mostly analog, systems. Larger, more modern, airports could revert to these systems again within a few years.
missdixy
Wow, you've just made me picture a terrible terrible world haha. To answer your question, I think what would upset me the most would probably be the loss of computers...

And the least? Mobile phones, by far. I can easily do without that.
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
Wow, you've just made me picture a terrible terrible world haha. To answer your question, I think what would upset me the most would probably be the loss of computers...

Thanks missdixy. Computers will also be my greatest loss with Internet following immediately after that. We had a major power loss a couple of weeks ago. I felt quite powerless without a computer. Mobile phones I can easily do without. If I had a choice, I would have liked not to have them at all.
erlendhg
deanhills wrote:
missdixy wrote:

Thanks missdixy. Computers will also be my greatest loss with Internet following immediately after that.

Haha, I was just going to write that.
Of course, no more computers would upset me more than no more Internet.
How could we use the Internet (or have an "Internet") anyways, without the computers?
jmlworld
No more mobile phones/phones? Who cares.
No more TV/movies/games? That doesn't bother.
No more cars? I got bikes.

Of course "No more Internet" would upset me the most. I don't there were more than 2 weeks I was without Internet about 11 years. And since 2005 I found myself using it at least once in every 2 days.

"No more cars" would upset me the least!
william
Interesting question. My top three would probably be internet, computers, and cars.

Let's see. Mobile phones, I don't use very often anyway. Phones, again don't need it often, actually would make life a bit less annoying. Internet, can't give that up, just can't... Wink . TV I would miss, no doubt, but I've got computers if the need arises. Movies, I won't miss. Games I will miss; I can live without gaming...but would prefer not to. No computers, a sad, sad day. And no more cars, um, cars are fun and useful. I couldn't imagine being without them, although I'm not a biker, and my mind could change if I was.

So my rankings are: (note, I'm keeping internet and computers together, since most of what I do with the computer is connected to the internet).

1. No more computers
1. No more Internet
3. No more cars
4. No more games
5. No more TV
6. No more mobile phones
7. No more phones
8. No more movies
standready
no internet. could not be here without it.
Diablosblizz
Here's my list:

1. No more computers. (without this, I'm screwed)
2. No more internet. (Shocked)
3. No more Games
4. No more mobile phones
5. No more phones
6. No more TV.
7. No more Movies.
8. No more cars.

Basically, without the first three I'd have a width drawl. Sad Don't really need / use the rest, except for mobile phone.
natilovesmike
I think this is the order in which they would upset me the most....

1. No more mobile phones (all the signals are down) - I am so used to talking with my husband and even family in Argentina with my cell phone that I would feel really bad and worried if I couldn't contact them as readily.
2. No more phones (you can't get a dialling tone on any of the land lines) - Same as number one, I actually don't have a phone line, but the fact that they do exist and are in general very stable makes me feel safe that I could use them if I needed them
7. No more computers - How would I work! by pen and paper!!!!!!!
3. No more Internet (the whole of the world network is down) - that would be bad...I would actually have to go to a library to research things!
8. No more cars (only selected people in the world get to drive because of environmental crisis) - this one would only affect me mildly, it would be nice to have an excuse to walk more
4. No more TV (all TV is down) - I actually don't have reception in my TV, we only watch rented videos
5. No more movies (DVDs, Videos all of them) - well, it wouldn't reallly be the end of the world there are plenty of other things to do...like talk and play with the family and friends.
6. No more games - I am assuming you are refering to computer games...then this would not affect me at all! (Even though I do play a few...but don't depend on them)
Klaw 2
no more internet would really suck I use the internet for a lot of things arrange stuff, buy stuff, order stuff, keep in touch with people etc.etc.

least worse would be no more cars i don't use one so I woudn't care
Fatality
No more Internet (the whole of the world network is down)
No more computers
No more phones (you can't get a dial tone on any of the land lines)
No more mobile phones (all the signals are down)
No more games
No more cars (only selected people in the world get to drive because of environmental crisis)
No more movies (DVDs, Videos all of them)
No more TV (all TV is down)
Nameless
FOR one day or STARTING one day? If it's only for one day, movies and mobile phones would be the least worrying on account of I don't watch / use them much, whereas losing my computer would be the most annoying, but I'm sure I'd find something else to do for 24 hours.

Assuming you meant starting one day and continuing indefinitely ... Computers would obviously be the worst, because the majority of the other options (and increasingly vital services etc. across the developed world) use computing components. Losing cars is something the world could adapt to without that much drama, but it would screw over everybody in the short term. Losing the internet or (mobile) phones would mess up business and governments and the like, but not as much and ways around them would be easier to find straight away (eg. the post, messengers). Games / TVs / movies aren't exactly vital so although it might be upsetting to lose them you're not exactly going to be worried about post-apocalyptic scenarios occurring.
ocalhoun
Klaw 2 wrote:

least worse would be no more cars i don't use one so I woudn't care

Ah, ignorance must be bliss...

How will your food be delivered to restaurants and markets? How will the police get around to enforce order? How will your mail be delivered?

Even if you don't use them yourself, you likely depend on them more than you think.
kriszara
For me no more cars would be the worst.
I live in a very spread out area with lousy public transportation. With no cars it would be very hard for me to get anywhere.
I currently need my car and my internet to do most of my work so losing them would be bad, but if everyone lost them we would simply figure out a way around it. We would go back to mailing things instead of entering them electronically. The whole world would slow back down.
If no games simply meant no electronic games I would be ok.
My family owns and plays a lot of excellent board games and good old fashioned books-and-dice roleplaying games so we don't need the electronic ones.
No tv or movies I could adjust to, no problem
So to list from worst to least:
1 No more cars
2 No Internet
3 No computers
4 no land line phones
5 no TV
6 no movies
7 no games
8 no mobile phones
paskifire
1. No more TV
2. No more Computer
3. No more Internet
4. no more Earth
chatrack
I will be most upset, when there is a POWER failure in the house.
Most of the listed will be automatically cut off.
Ghost900
If I lost my computer that would be of the greatest disappointment. I am going to collage working on computers so they are a huge part of my life. Cell phones and TV's could disappear and it would have little effect on me as I don't watch TV and I don't own a cell phone. Very Happy
tingkagol
No water.

Just this morning our water pump got busted and our water tank ran empty just as I was in the middle of my bath. If that isn't upsetting, I don't know what is.

Went down to ground level and finished bathing from a shower that still chugged out water.
biljap
From the things you offered, my list would be something like this:

No more mobile phones (all the signals are down)
No more computers
No more movies (DVDs, Videos all of them)
No more Internet (the whole of the world network is down)
No more phones (you can't get a dialing tone on any of the land lines)
No more TV (all TV is down)
No more games
No more cars (only selected people in the world get to drive because of environmental crisis)

But I think there are much more important things that our life depends on, and we don’t even think about them because most of us have them...
ankitdatashn
Instead of hating such a day, I would love it rather. Anyhow based on crisis I would still rate them according to following ranking:

1. No more Internet (the whole of the world network is down)
2. No more mobile phones (all the signals are down)
3. No more computers
5. No more games
6. No more phones (you can't get a dialling tone on any of the land lines)
7. No more movies (DVDs, Videos all of them)

Internet is with what I stay connected to my pals.
Mobile phones is the alternate way to stay connected
Computer is my usual buddy
TV is for usual timepass
games makes life entertaining
rest are more or less immaterial as bikes will still be available.
goutha
All these are not really important.

I'm really upset with Injustice !
mudshake
i think i'll be upset if no more mobile phone..
because without this i cant communicate to others, to my friend and relatives who is far behind me..
it is the easy way to keep on touch to them..
and i will really upset without having this.
TurtleShell
This is tough. Are the phones and/or mobile phones down for good? I assume that #2 is ONLY land lines and not mobile phones? If my computer is gone, is that because it doesn't work anymore, or because it was stolen from my home, or we're not allowed to use it by new law, or what? Are these all permanent problems? I suppose that the loss of computers, assuming that it is a permanent situation, would be the most devastating to me. Afterall, if there was no more phone communication, I would still have email and postal letters. I can get along without games, movies, TVs, a car. All of these things would be a big pain but in the end wouldn't have to cripple my lifestyle. But without computers and/or the Internet, how would I do my job? how would I look for a new job (which I am in the middle of doing). How would I find recipes and talk to my family and make money and transfer money? How would I do any of these things? Yes, the loss of the computer and Internet would be the worst.
Roflcopter
From most to least.

1. No more Internet
2. No more computers
3. No more games
4. No more cars
6. No more movies
7. No more mobile phones
8. No more TV
9. No more phones

If I lose the internet, at least I still have a computer, and I ride my bike a lot, but I like to have a car. Don't care so much about TV because I don't have cable, and phones, there was a time I didn't have a mobile phone, and it wasn't too bad, but I do like the ability to call anyone anywhere, and landlines? don't have one.[/quote]

same here
speeDemon
no more games? what exactly are you trying to say?
anyway, I'd say that no more electricity would be a good option, seeing that most of the things you suggested would need electricity in one way or the other... without electricity, we're doomed!
LostOverThere
For me, No More Computers. Because without computers, we don't have the internet, production of films would cease (at least for a while), and video games would cease to exist. As for cars, I walk everywhere anyway, so it doesn't really effect me. But that's just my opinion.
ocalhoun
LostOverThere wrote:
As for cars, I walk everywhere anyway, so it doesn't really effect me.

Rolling Eyes
As I pointed out earlier, even if you personally don't use them, they are used for some extremely important purposes... Since you walk everywhere, I presume you live in an urban environment? How does your food get to you... and how could enough food possibly be delivered to a large city without cars (and more importantly, trucks)? There are trains, but they require intermediate distribution methods, to get to the train and to get from the train to the consumer, and it would take time to get distribution methods adapted for train use.
fubu
no more computer would be really upsetting to me..my whole life depends on it and id rather die without my computer! Embarassed
Crinoid
Quote:
I'm hoping for all these things to happen.

My dream too Laughing

By the way, no computers = no internet. The last will be the only loss, but the gain will be less troubles with computers.
ninjakannon
But... But everything else on the list aside from non-electronic games would stop working if computers stopped working. So when picking a single worst option the only answer is computers, surely?
ocalhoun
ninjakannon wrote:
So when picking a single worst option the only answer is computers, surely?

The only real competition is the cars one.
If you live 20 miles from the nearest anything, loosing your car would be a big deal.
Aredon
ugh. I don't even want to think about any of those happening, but I guess if I had to pick one I'd say Internet being gone. That would really suck. Probably not good to admit it but if the Internet went away I'm fairly sure I would die a little inside. Sad