FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recommendations for a new laptop?

Phinx
Any recomendations from users for a person looking to invest in a new laptop?

I'm looking for a 15'' inch (15.6, 15.4 - that kind of sizes) laptop solely for work. Will install Linux straight away and will use for document editing, slideshows, e-mail, web browsing...you can sum it up by saying that i'll be using it for WORK only.

I'm capping myself at 400 - students budget. Any suggestiong what could be usefull but not too sluggish?
william
I am not too familiar with what laptop prices are in the UK, but off the top of my head, I can make a couple recommendations. I would suggest either a Dell Vostro 1015 or Dell Vostro 1520. For 400 pounds, you should be able to get a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo (decent performer), 3 GB of RAM, a 250-320 GB hard drive, and an Intel GMA X4500. This should handle most tasks with ease, minus graphics intensive applications (such as gaming).

Now, I'm not familiar with how much more will be added on with VAT, plus I'm also not too familiar with what's offered in retail stores in the UK. However, I think these two laptops are a nice place to start looking. This should give you an idea of what kind of performance you can get out of a laptop in your price range. If any other models come to mind, I'll let you know.
Donutey
Dell computers are good, but Lenovo would be better for a work computer that's probably going to be lugged around a lot (possibly dropped etc.).

There are some lower end thinkpads for your budget (just converting pounds to US dollars here) that are a bit more rugged than a normal laptop and generally have excellent linux support. Personally, I like the thinkpad line since it *doesn't* look so fashion conscious, they are plain and professional looking, which is a plus for a work computer.
william
Well, for that budget, you can't get a Thinkpad according to Lenovo's UK website. You can get an Ideapad, though. Actually, you could get the Lenovo G550, which is part of Lenovo's value line. Believe me when I say that the build quality is stunning. The flex is almost nonexistent. I've seen some older Thinkpads flex more than the G550. That might be a pretty solid choice for you. It might be a little bit slower than the Vostros, but only slightly so. CPU will be 200 MHz slower and have half the cache and the you'll probably only end up with a 5400 RPM hard drive, but everything else is similar. Oh, and it should be able to pull over 4 hours of battery life.
Phinx
Thanks for the take-off points, i'll work from hereon. Any further advice is very welcome.
the zephyrus
I got a Dell Vostro 1000 about two years back. It's their low end business line, and I do mean low end. They put reasonably good components as far as the advertised ones go, but cheaping out might kill you on the other things. In particular, mine has worrysome heat issues and bad battery life, both beyond what I'd expect from an average notebook. Just because the specs are good, doesn't necessarily mean the product is. And just for comparison, the heat is in part due to designers at Dell saving maybe $1 each by removing the ram side fan, compared to other models in the same casing. (The vents and the spot are still there.)
airh3ad
what about apple mac pro.
Phinx
Apple Macs are good, but the price tag is just beyond my student reach. Hopefully at some point i will be able to get my hands on one of them Smile
jwellsy
I wish laptop components were standardized form factors as desktops so you could affordably build your own laptop.
jwellsy
I wish laptop components were standardized form factors as desktops so you could affordably build your own laptop.
william
You sort of can do so. I mean, Asus, MSI, Compal, and others sell barebones from which you can build your own. The CPUs, RAM, HDDs, and Wireless Adapters are standardized. The screen is also pretty standardized as well. As for graphics, there is the MXM standard, but it is true that there are compatibility issues all the time.
Phinx
Good point raised. You can also customize when buying from retailers such as Dell. As for barebone systems...it is true you can get precisely the beast you want, but buying peace by peace is more expensive than buying a whole laptop. Companies order large shipments of hardware, that is why 1 units price is lower then when you buy the component of the shelf. Of course, hardware, unless burned or when we talk about a HDD practically has no age limit, so it makes sense buying used hardware. Is it sane? It for you to decide.