FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FreeBSD + Gnome

Phinx
After multiple attempts of trying different OS i'm coming closer to FreeBSD, but sticking to command line is not an option so i'm thinking of mating it with Gnome. I know of pre-built mutants like PC-BSD and DesktopBSD but i also know how 'personalised' the system can be if you do it yourself, for example, by excluding all the rubbish packages before you install the whole thing. Plus they are KDE based and i opt out for Gnome. Did any of the forums users attempt to install FreeBSD and a Windows manager on their own? Was it hard and did it take long?
coreymanshack
Phinx wrote:
After multiple attempts of trying different OS i'm coming closer to FreeBSD, but sticking to command line is not an option so i'm thinking of mating it with Gnome. I know of pre-built mutants like PC-BSD and DesktopBSD but i also know how 'personalised' the system can be if you do it yourself, for example, by excluding all the rubbish packages before you install the whole thing. Plus they are KDE based and i opt out for Gnome. Did any of the forums users attempt to install FreeBSD and a Windows manager on their own? Was it hard and did it take long?

I've done it before on ubuntu. You have to install X11 and then you can install gnome or whatever you want to use. It wasn't that hard it was pretty straightforward.
Phinx
Ubuntu has a GUI. It's much simpler that way. I'm talking the good old console in BSD Smile
Jean-Clod
Quote:
Ubuntu has a GUI. It's much simpler that way. I'm talking the good old console in BSD

That's true, but many people prefer FreeBSD. (just like me Razz )
BTW, support of Apple's GrandCentral Dispatch technology (you know, that thing making OSX 10.6 even faster, using all CPU cores, etc..) will soon be added in FreeBSD. To make it even greater!
Phinx
That is why i meant. I'm up for FreeBSD, and the fact that you did it was done on Ubuntu is not not a milestone - it is easy. I'm interested in doing it on FreeBSD
coreymanshack
Phinx wrote:
That is why i meant. I'm up for FreeBSD, and the fact that you did it was done on Ubuntu is not not a milestone - it is easy. I'm interested in doing it on FreeBSD

Wow you know absolutely nothing about Ubuntu then. I installed the min install version of ubuntu..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
This has no GUI.
The server version of ubuntu at http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatIsubuntu/serveredition has no GUI
If you would've merely googled X11 you would know that this was done from the command line. If you didn't know what I was talking about when I said X11 why didn't you google it? Most packages for all the linux kernel flavors are the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System
Quote:
X provides the basic framework, or primitives, for building such GUI environments: drawing and moving windows on the screen and interacting with a mouse and/or keyboard. X does not mandate the user interface individual client programs handle this.

If the install had no X framework there would be no GUI , so why would I install X11 if it were already there from a GUI?

If you would use google you would've found this...
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

Don't sit here and tell me how easy something is if you don't even know what you are doing. I'm almost certain installing X11 on freebsd is alike doing it in ubuntu mini according to the link I gave you. You are not Mr. computer genius just because you figured out how to install Free BSD. You have a lot to learn, and criticizing those that can help you will get you nowhere.
Fire Boar
Ubuntu Minimal is really not hard to install a gui for.

sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment xorg gdm

FreeBSD, with Gnome, is much trickier. You'll probably have to compile it yourself if they don't offer packages.
coreymanshack
Fire Boar wrote:

FreeBSD, with Gnome, is much trickier. You'll probably have to compile it yourself if they don't offer packages.

Why would you not be able to install something into a working operating system?....

Quote:
Let's see... my hard disk has FreeBSD... but I can't write anything else to that hard disk anymore.
Fire Boar
coreymanshack wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

Why would you not be able to install something into a working operating system?....

That's like saying "why can't I run .msi installers on Linux?", or "why doesn't my .deb package install in Fedora?". FreeBSD is not a distribution of Linux. It's a different Unix-based OS.
coreymanshack
Fire Boar wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

That's like saying "why can't I run .msi installers on Linux?", or "why doesn't my .deb package install in Fedora?". FreeBSD is not a distribution of Linux. It's a different Unix-based OS.

I didn't say you could install .msi on linux, I didn't say you could install .deb in Fedora.... I said FreeBSD probably has it's equivalant.

and according to this...
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html

you type
Quote:
pkg_add -r xorg
Fire Boar
Since the OP was having such trouble with Gnome, I was assuming that there were no Gnome packages for FreeBSD. Turns out this is not the case.