FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

On-stite vs. Mail-in warranty service

Tony The Tiger
Mail in warranty service sucks. Hewlett Packard asked me if I want to send them $400 to repair some hinges and replace an LCD cover. Dell use to do that stuff for free when I had on-site service. I just told them to perform only in-warranty repairs and ship it back to me. I barely noticed any cracks and don't want to pay for that kind of stuff.
coreymanshack
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Mail in warranty service sucks. Hewlett Packard asked me if I want to send them $400 to repair some hinges and replace an LCD cover. Dell use to do that stuff for free when I had on-site service. I just told them to perform only in-warranty repairs and ship it back to me. I barely noticed any cracks and don't want to pay for that kind of stuff.

Mail in warranty service does suck, but at least these guys are offering warranty. Did you call before you sent in your item? Did you check to see if those hinges and the LCD cover were under the warranty?
Tony The Tiger
coreymanshack wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Mail in warranty service does suck, but at least these guys are offering warranty. Did you call before you sent in your item? Did you check to see if those hinges and the LCD cover were under the warranty?

I am not having any problem with my hinge and don't consider it broken. The cover seems a little worn. That is all.
coreymanshack
Tony The Tiger wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I am not having any problem with my hinge and don't consider it broken. The cover seems a little worn. That is all.

Ohh okay I understand now, you sent in for warranty repairs and they wanted you to pay them $400 to fix other things not under warranty.
Tony The Tiger
coreymanshack wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Ohh okay I understand now, you sent in for warranty repairs and they wanted you to pay them $400 to fix other things not under warranty.

Yes things they wanted me to pay for things that are technically our of warranty, but things that Dell use to replace regardless of the official warranty because the on-site technician would describe it in a way that made it seem reasonable. I still don't know what hinge they are talking about. My hinges seem fine. The edges of my computer seem to be wearing, but nothing is really broken.
ForceRun
Dell use to have much better service in general, but they have really gone down hill from what I have heard.