FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

General Chat and why is there no mention of him in the histo

chasbeen
Who is General Chat and why is there no mention of him in the history books?
General Chat commanded the Core of The Royal Engineers in Canada when they built the Rideau Canal connecting the internal waterways with the sea side in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in the late 19th century.

Sun bathers complained they were not getting enough sunshine in February so the seaside facilities had to be extended to make amends for this.

Further studies on this are limited because I can't find any more in the History book I got at the Garage Sale
Fatality
Intriguing... I don't know if you're joking or serious. Nevertheless, well done I liked it. A basic google search didn't give me any results, but I don't care enough to do a lot of research to confirm if this is facts or not. Funny thought, though.
ocalhoun
A photo of the illustrious Canadian General Chat:

As you can see, he likes to chat. ^.^

(Yes, that is a Canadian general, no his name is not Chat.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

But he does not look like a chat ..... Smile Good point though and interesting that someone picked up on the match in names. If I were him though, I would have changed my last name. Can imagine he must have been teased like crazy about it when he was a kid!
spring567
Ah ,General Chat is a Chat room.
Jinx
Oh, I was under the impression that General Chat was a Chinese general from the time of the Fo (pronounced like faux) dynasty. He is famous for loosing a battle because his subordinate commanders, fearing his wrath if they interrupted him, continued to stand and listen to him speak rather than commanding their troops as they were overrun by the Mangled Hordes.
It is said that even after the emperor had him beheaded his lips continued to move for several minutes after his head was severed.
erlendhg
I must say, this was really funny (and cheesy).
I showed this post to some of my friends too, and they also laughed.

It is these kinds of posts that enlightens a day on the forum Smile
ankitdatashn
"wait a minute....am I reading it correctly!" that was the impresssion I got when reading the title of this thread. A thread about general Chat in General Chat forum!

Anyways seemingly not interested who Generat Chat is!
Arty
What about Texas Battle?
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____en___US344&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Texas+Battle
Jinx
Arty wrote:
What about Texas Battle?
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____en___US344&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Texas+Battle

Or Judge Reinhold , for that matter.
chasbeen
Nope, can't find anything about Texas Battle and the reference to General Chat is wrong he died before the end of the 19th century, unless the picture is a relative maybe?
truespeed
Maybe its General Science.
Jinx
Ya'll might find this amusing:

Quote:
Both English and Italian have examples of military rank coinciding with names. At AFSouth not long ago, there was an Italian officer with the surname Generali. For a while he was Colonello Generali; then he got promoted to Generale Generali. There is also an American somewhere whose surname is Major. Not Bob Major or Jack Major, thought Mr. and Mrs. Major— let's really go for it. His first name is Sergeant. Now, young Sergeant Major joins the army (look, this is a true story) and the last I heard he had reached the rank of Segeant-Major. You figure it out. The most outlandish coincidence of name and profession I have ever heard —and even Apache women could not force me to invent something this bizarre— is the case of the American military doctor in obstetrics and gynecology whose name is Harry Beaver.

There are more funny examples at: http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/articles/namegame.html
ocalhoun
Jinx wrote:
Ya'll might find this amusing:

Quote:
Both English and Italian have examples of military rank coinciding with names. At AFSouth not long ago, there was an Italian officer with the surname Generali. For a while he was Colonello Generali; then he got promoted to Generale Generali. There is also an American somewhere whose surname is Major. Not Bob Major or Jack Major, thought Mr. and Mrs. Major— let's really go for it. His first name is Sergeant. Now, young Sergeant Major joins the army (look, this is a true story) and the last I heard he had reached the rank of Segeant-Major. You figure it out. The most outlandish coincidence of name and profession I have ever heard —and even Apache women could not force me to invent something this bizarre— is the case of the American military doctor in obstetrics and gynecology whose name is Harry Beaver.

There are more funny examples at: http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/articles/namegame.html

^.^
That's not all the fun there is with ranks and names.
I know that in the USAF right now there's a Colonel Sanders and a Captain Morgan (Though, sadly, Captain Morgan is Major Morgan now, which isn't nearly as fun.)

The worst name-rank combination I've heard of was from the navy: Seaman Guzzler
Vrythramax
Vrythramax = "General Nuisance" (formerly "Major Catastrophe") d'oh!
airh3ad
General chat means covered everything, everybody i think there general word is just used it in the forum.
standready
Vrythramax wrote:
Vrythramax = "General Nuisance" (formerly "Major Catastrophe") d'oh!

I just knew as I read through this that "General Nuisance" would show up. Thanks "V"!
Intersting topic.
chasbeen
Please refrain from talking about other people other the great Sir General Chat 1839-1899.
Not many people are important enough to have a whole section of the forum named after them.
Jinx
So you mean I can't bring up any of these guys?

Futility Closet wrote:

Why can't I find Amanda Hugginkiss?

Imaginary patrons of Jersey City’s Tube Bar paged by owner Louis “Red” Deutsch at the request of telephone pranksters John Elmo and Jim Davidson in the mid-1970s:

Al Coholic
Al Kaseltzer
Al Kykyoras
Ben Dover
Butchie Pantsdown
Frank Enstein
Holden McGroin
Imov Irgin
Jim Nasium
Joe Mama
Mike Ocksmall
Moe Ronn
Oliver Closeoff
Rufus Leakin

Elmo and Davidson recorded Deutsch’s earnest pages and the wild, vituperative threats that followed when he realized he’d been had. In the 1980s the tapes began to circulate among professional sports leagues and eventually found their way to animator Matt Groening … who turned them into a running gag on The Simpsons.

This is from http://www.futilitycloset.com/2009/10/07/why-cant-i-find-amanda-hugginkiss/
chasbeen
Nope none of those anywhere on Frihost, except maybe my great friend Al Coholic who I used to know but I left him behind over a dozen years ago in the dim and distant.

What ever happened to him?
guissmo
I remember this as a recurring joke in How I Met Your Mother.
General Chat! Haha.
wellerchap
is he in the same army as the famous Canadian bannister-slider called Major Buttsore?
chasbeen
No, your wrong there, he was in the British army but was working in Canada.
Oh and yeah, he's long dead. Rolling Eyes
I've never heard of Major Buttsore, maybe he's fictional?
Arty
Rolling Eyes Here's Major General Chater
Laughing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Reginald_Chater
chasbeen
You'll have to start a new subject on this new General you have found and also please put it in the military section.
This part of the forum is about General Chat and nothing about a Major General Chater,
Keep it real.
paskifire
Laughing It's the first time i read about General Chat. Anyway, thanks for the info.
watersoul
chasbeen, this thread actually did make me laugh out loud, cheers fella! Laughing

A good friend of mine is Corporal Sargeant in the British Army and we all have a laugh about when he gets his next move up the ladder to Sergeant Sargeant...maybe one day he'll serve under a General Chat, who knows? Very Happy:
chasbeen
Yeah, it's all wretched lies and untruth.

I must stop making things up and starting false rumours.
Or at least right after this new thread

Santa's alive and well, I just found him down me chimney.
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
Yeah, it's all wretched lies and untruth.

I must stop making things up and starting false rumours.
Or at least right after this new thread

Santa's alive and well, I just found him down me chimney.

Yeah! Thats such a lie dude, he ain't in your chimney, he's in the middle of a cross border run for me this week...that sleigh can get past any custom's! Wink
Ghost900
I actually thought there was a General Chat but now I see there is not. Well I guess there may be one that we don't know about. Smile
chasbeen
Well I tell you what, you go out and see if you can find one on the Internet.

I thought there was one but it was a horrible mistake.

Unless maybe you could go see and save me blushes Embarassed
Aredon
ocalhoun wrote:

That's legit right there! Very Happy
chasbeen
Oh yeah,
I didn't know that, maybe he did/does exist then.
or maybe I was him or someone like him in a past-life? and I some how am remembering it now?

That's one possible solution.

After all I don't want to sound like i'm a bit stupid Laughing
chasbeen
I just started researching General Chat and looking into the family tree and apparently he had a daughter who married a Mr Blunder who joined the army because of the Spanish civil war.
He was put in charge of a regiment and attained the rank of Major.