FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One speaker not working

saratdear
Hi,

It's been a few days I've been noticing static coming from my speakers. Today, I saw that the left speaker is not working. I have a Creative 2.1 370 speakers. The cord from the PC comes to the subwoofer, and from there, two cords go to the left and right ones. I tried switching the two ports, and the left speaker started working, and the right one stopped, so it is not a problem with the speaker itself. Yes, I have tried changing the balance setting in Control Panel.

Another odd thing is that, if I leave the left one plugged on, with the right one not, there is sound coming from the left one (good sound, without any problems) but the volume of the sound coming is very low. And when I plug in the right one, this sound disappears.

Any idea what might have caused this problem and any way to resolve it? I guess it is some problem with the left speaker port in the subwoofer?

Thanks.
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:
I guess it is some problem with the left speaker port in the subwoofer?

Exactly... Or perhaps a weak/disconnected/broken amp circuit that connects to that port.

If you're feeling adventurous, you might take apart the woofer, and try to find and repair the fault in the circuitry. The fact that plugging in the other speaker changes the output means that it is an internal problem, not the plug itself.

If you're feeling cheap, you could just deal with having one speaker.

Or, if you really like your sound quality, but don't feel up to testing circuits, get some new speakers.

*edit*

Oh, and take a good, close look at the cable coming from the computer to the woofer.
Also, try plugging it into just a CD player or something, in order to eliminate the possibility of any computer software/hardware problems.
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:
saratdear wrote:
I guess it is some problem with the left speaker port in the subwoofer?

Exactly... Or perhaps a weak/disconnected/broken amp circuit that connects to that port.

If you're feeling adventurous, you might take apart the woofer, and try to find and repair the fault in the circuitry. The fact that plugging in the other speaker changes the output means that it is an internal problem, not the plug itself.

Um..what I meant when I said I switched the ports is that I connected the right speaker to the left port and the left speaker to the right, and then the left speaker started working..I hope that's what you meant as well.

I don't really know whether to feel that adventurous or not. Smile

Anyway, another thing, if that might help : When I switch the speakers on and off, most of the static comes from the left one, which is not working.

EDITED to add : I've slightly got it working, but it's highly temperamental; one moment it will work and the next it will not. I just tried various combinations of the speaker volume in Windows and with the speaker itself, and is trying it out.

Something slightly funny I found out was, with the control remote of the speaker. If I lift it up in the air, the speaker starts working, and if I place it back on the table, it stops working. So I get a nice effect by shaking it back and forth int he air... Rolling Eyes Any idea why THIS would be happening?
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:

Something slightly funny I found out was, with the control remote of the speaker. If I lift it up in the air, the speaker starts working, and if I place it back on the table, it stops working. So I get a nice effect by shaking it back and forth int he air... Rolling Eyes Any idea why THIS would be happening?

That is strange... Take the battery out of the remote, and see what happens.

If changing the volume in Windows changes the problem, then I very highly suggest connecting the speakers to some other kind of audio output (a different computer, even) to see if that solves the problem... Good 'ol half-split troubleshooting method and all.
(Alternately, try hooking up different speakers or headphones to the same computer.)
saratdear
There is no battery in the remote - actually, sorry, I shouldn't have called it a 'remote' control at all because it is connected directly to the speaker.

I did try connecting it to an old radio I had lying around - and the problem still persisted.

I've decided to leave it at this. Thanks for all your help ocalhoun - much appreciated. Smile