FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a better way to restore mysql database?

shkhanal
Hi,

I had taken backup copy of mysql database and now I need to restore that backup. I'm using phpMyAdmin but I'm finding it hard to restore over slow internet connection because many times the connection is lost and phpMyAdmin keeps uploading same file many times due to 'script timeout'.

How webmasters restore their backup? When I tried to use cPanel Backup to restore database, it restored only partial. My database has more than 70 tables and cPanel restore brought 24 only. Your help is highly appreciated.
sheedatali
If you have access to Mysql at command line then you can export database to a file and then just import that file, obviously you need command line access for that.
AftershockVibe
There are better ways to do it. Unfortunately remote access is disabled as it's a rather large security risk.

However, what might help is taking your SQL backup and separating it into smaller files. They might be zipped up, but the backup will just be a collection of SQL scripts.

If you partition the scripts into sections then at least if you have a timeout problem you only need to restart from the script that failed, not redo from start. Even just halving the file might work.

Cool
shkhanal
I wonder if this is the way how all the webmasters restore their database.

Can I upload the backup and issue restore from the server itself so that I don't need to keep uploading every time script fails?
badai
use this script

http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php
shkhanal
Oh! Thanks a lot!