FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Turning drama into comedy... WHY?

Ophois
The "Lethal Weapon" series of movies has been on lately.
I caught a few minutes of each, in between running errands and cooking, and I noticed something. Mind you, I am sure I'm not the first to notice this or even point it out. The first "Lethal Weapon" was a dead serious, dramatic, action movie. Sure, it had it's funny moments, but mostly it was very serious.

Progressively, the movies just get sillier and sillier. By the time we get to "Lethal Weapon 4", it's almost non-stop goofy joke after goofy joke. Why? Even when they have Jet Li as a stone cold assassin, they still had to make it a slapstick farce.

Why do film makers insist on doing this? Even when it's a remake of an old movie or TV show, they turn it into a stupid comedy, which basically makes fun of the original(See Starsky & Hutch for a prime example). Does anyone else hate this as much as I do?
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
The "Lethal Weapon" series of movies has been on lately.
I caught a few minutes of each, in between running errands and cooking, and I noticed something. Mind you, I am sure I'm not the first to notice this or even point it out. The first "Lethal Weapon" was a dead serious, dramatic, action movie. Sure, it had it's funny moments, but mostly it was very serious.

Progressively, the movies just get sillier and sillier. By the time we get to "Lethal Weapon 4", it's almost non-stop goofy joke after goofy joke. Why? Even when they have Jet Li as a stone cold assassin, they still had to make it a slapstick farce.

Why do film makers insist on doing this? Even when it's a remake of an old movie or TV show, they turn it into a stupid comedy, which basically makes fun of the original(See Starsky & Hutch for a prime example). Does anyone else hate this as much as I do?
I've never really been into Lethal Weapon, but you are right, it did get sillier. Every now and then there is a re-run and I catch glimpses of it, and then switch to another channel.

If there is something that irritates me, and there is a lot of it in TV as well as full movies, is what is supposed to be a serious movie, the script comes up with glib talk.