FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where have they gone?

Ophois
"The Rock" is on TNT right now.
I rarely watch TV, but I have some down-time, so what the hell. I can watch Sean Connery eat a bowl of oat meal. It makes me wonder though... I haven't seen him do much recently. I suppose he is getting old, probably 2 or 3 more movies away from retirement.

To me, that will be a sad day.
Granted, I don't consider him to be the best actor ever, not even close, as far as actual acting chops go. He pretty much plays the same guy in every movie. But he is a great character. I feel the same about Paccino and DeNiro. I love watching them, even though they basically do the same characters all the time.

But this is not my point.

Sean Connery will be leaving the acting biz soon, most likely. I will miss him.
I wonder if anyone else feels this way, and if we have young actors with as much presence as Connery and the few others like him. So that's my question. Who will you miss when they finally retire from acting? And who do you think will have as much staying power as these guys?
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
"The Rock" is on TNT right now.
I rarely watch TV, but I have some down-time, so what the hell. I can watch Sean Connery eat a bowl of oat meal. It makes me wonder though... I haven't seen him do much recently. I suppose he is getting old, probably 2 or 3 more movies away from retirement.

To me, that will be a sad day.
Granted, I don't consider him to be the best actor ever, not even close, as far as actual acting chops go. He pretty much plays the same guy in every movie. But he is a great character. I feel the same about Paccino and DeNiro. I love watching them, even though they basically do the same characters all the time.

But this is not my point.

Sean Connery will be leaving the acting biz soon, most likely. I will miss him.
I wonder if anyone else feels this way, and if we have young actors with as much presence as Connery and the few others like him. So that's my question. Who will you miss when they finally retire from acting? And who do you think will have as much staying power as these guys?
Definitely Sean Connery too. What I liked about him is his good sense of timing and versatality. He knew when to quit James Bond movies, and when he branched out into other movies he was able to play his age magnificently. I can't ever imagine him retiring. He may get to play movies requiring older roles, unless he makes an announcement of some or other kind.

There are some young actors that I admire very much:
Ben Affleck
James McAvoy
John Travolta
Bruce Willis
Wesley Snipes
Will Smith
Samuel Jackson

A few that come to mind.
Ophois
I don't know why I didn't do my research before using Connery as my model for this post.
Quote:
Not that we thought he was bluffing after passing up a fortune to star in the latest Indiana Jones film, but 'lest there was any doubt, Sir Sean Connery has confirmed he is officially retired from movie-making. "It's over", he tells the newspaper The Scotsman. He also confesses to having a horrendous memory when it comes to dates, often being off by as much as a decade. He relies on his wife to be his memory.
This is from 2007, full article.

While I think the actors in your list will be around for quite some time, I have to point out that the term 'young' doesn't really apply to them all. Though Sam Jackson, Travolta, and Bruce Willis would be flattered, I'm sure.
deanhills wrote:
There are some young actors that I admire very much:
Ben Affleck
James McAvoy
John Travolta
Bruce Willis
Wesley Snipes
Will Smith
Samuel Jackson

I really wish Val Kilmer would do more. I always liked him, but it seems his star has kind of fallen. Ken Watanebe is great, I love his mannerisms, the way he uses subtle motions, I hope to see him around for a long time. Matt Damon is brilliant as well.
Robert Downey Jr has been around for while, and was always a wonderful actor, I'm so glad he cleaned up off the drugs and made a come-back. Joaqin Phoenix is good too, really raw and emotional, but he is so strange... he said he quit acting, then he had some bad music thing... I don't know about him.
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
I really wish Val Kilmer would do more. I always liked him, but it seems his star has kind of fallen. Ken Watanebe is great, I love his mannerisms, the way he uses subtle motions, I hope to see him around for a long time. Matt Damon is brilliant as well.
Robert Downey Jr has been around for while, and was always a wonderful actor, I'm so glad he cleaned up off the drugs and made a come-back. Joaqin Phoenix is good too, really raw and emotional, but he is so strange... he said he quit acting, then he had some bad music thing... I don't know about him.
So how young is "young" to you then? As Sean Connery is really old relative to the examples I gave. Are you looking for something in the twenties?

Matt Damon is not bad, but not really my cup of tea. Robert Downey is not that bad, but yes, he probably is in the age league of Travolta and Bruce Willis.

How about Wentworth Miller of Prison Break fame?
Ophois
Samuel L. Jackson is 60.
John Travolta is 55.
Bruce Willis is 54.

Not quite "spring chickens". But yes, I think we can agree that they will all be around for quite some time. Robert Downey Jr, by comparison, is only 44.

Well, I have never seen 'Prison Break', so I have no idea who that guy is.
deanhills
Ophois wrote:
Samuel L. Jackson is 60.
John Travolta is 55.
Bruce Willis is 54.
Oh my!!!! I completely miscalculated their ages, I did know Jackson was older but I estimated him to be in his fifties. I genuinely thought Willis and Travolta were in their mid-forties! You're right, they probably would have felt quite complimented. Smile

This is Wentworth Miller:

I think he is quite a talented actor. More info about him at:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0589505/bio

I avoided "Prison Break" initially, and then once when there was nothing else to watch watched one episode and then got hooked as the episodes have a tremendous momentum in them, I could not even leave my seat to do something else, as it was just moving at breakneck speed. This was my first viewing of Wentworth Miller and I thought he looked like a promising actor.