FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nightclub shoot - Zhivago (photography)

bjwok
Zhivago is a brilliant club to shoot in. Take a look at the available ambient light!! A whole lot of care has been taken to decorate this club in beautiful murals and colours. It's a pleasure to drag that shutter here!!

Next time I shoot here I am gonna rock with two flashes and try to go even lower with the shutter. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am thinking the more light i throw at the same time (ie two 580EX II's) will negate any chance of motion blur, even more so than with one flash? I've also just bought the 16-35 f/2.8 and on a full frame baby, this width will be PERFECT for tight packed clubs like Zhivago.

lethaltriad
Love your club shots, very nice balance of motion and ambient light. I know ideally the apperture controls your flash power and shutter speed controls the ambient light so i'm pretty sure if you had an extra flash providing light for the foreground subject you should be able to keep it more in focus while you drag the shutter even more. Have never tried it before but it sounds logical though. Can always setup it up somewhere for some nice rim lighting as well.

I recently sold my 16-35 L ii because i found i havent really used it as much seeing i dont get a chance to shoot as much landscape and also it was too wide for wedding photography for me.. lots of distortion. I plan to buy it back again though when I get into doing more Villas and Home Photography as that would be the main purpose for me for that lens. Have fun with it though, lots of possiblities at 2.8 on the wide side as you can hand hold that sucker at some really slow shutter speeds.

Love the 3rd and 7th shot! cheers
Magicman
These shots are great. The motion blur in the shots captures the energy and fun present in the club. I agree that the 3rd and 7th shots are the best. I find the third to be especially clever, with a great combination of background and foreground objects to create a very interesting shot (I assume the illusion set up there was intentional). Are these shots for use in advertisements or are they just to add to your portfolio?
bjwok
yeah just got back from a club and shooting with the 16-35. holy damn this thing is wide!! not sure if it's too flattering with some of the shots (distorted heads on girls is not a good look!) but will have to see how may shots are decent before i really make my mind up. i've seen some amazing stuff done with it in landscapes, unfortunately i don't get the time for that style of photography Sad

did you find there was a sweet spot (f-stop wise) for your copy on this lens?
lethaltriad
I used it once at a wedding on the 5d and the family portraits was way too distorted, it might be a mind over matter thing but I also noticed the distortion to be alot the 35mm side as compared to my 24-70 lens @ 35mm

my sweetspots have always been around f/5.6, i'll ask my photographer friend that I sold it too if he has any sweet spots on it.
dude_xyx
Aww these photos look great !!
andysart380
really nice work man
bjwok
thanks fellas Smile
andysart380
left it out but i love the pink on pink for the last photo funny
bjwok
thanks man Smile