FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

windows 7 installation next to xp

koen66
How do I install windows 7 next to my existing windows xp installation without the use of expensive partitioning software?
rickylau
Seems that GParted can be run as live CD and you may boot with it to partition your hard disk. One of softwares containing GParted is Parted Magic, it have many other utilities that maybe usful. Although I did not used it, it seems to be user-friendly, you may give it a try.
Diablosblizz
You can use disk management in Windows to split your hard drive into two partitions.
badai
here, step by step instruction

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_windows_7_xp_installed_first.htm
Fire Boar
Another vote for GParted here. Seriously, it's a good bit of kit, supporting loads of different types of partitions (you'll probably be using NTFS).

The instructions badai linked to are sound, but in the partitioning step, the main partition will more likely be called /dev/sda1 than /dev/hda1. Also, some manufacturers like to create a hidden "recovery partition" - this will show up on GParted, usually as a FAT32 partition. If this is the case, simply ignore it and resize the biggest one (which may well be called /dev/sda2). Anyway, it should be fairly self-explanatory.
bigt
rickylau wrote:
Seems that GParted can be run as live CD and you may boot with it to partition your hard disk. One of softwares containing GParted is Parted Magic, it have many other utilities that maybe usful. Although I did not used it, it seems to be user-friendly, you may give it a try.

This is what I have done to get the job done.
blueray
Fire Boar wrote:
Another vote for GParted here. Seriously, it's a good bit of kit, supporting loads of different types of partitions (you'll probably be using NTFS).

The instructions badai linked to are sound, but in the partitioning step, the main partition will more likely be called /dev/sda1 than /dev/hda1. Also, some manufacturers like to create a hidden "recovery partition" - this will show up on GParted, usually as a FAT32 partition. If this is the case, simply ignore it and resize the biggest one (which may well be called /dev/sda2). Anyway, it should be fairly self-explanatory.

@Fire Boar

Windows does't call newly created partitions something /dev/hd[1-4] or the like.
It is a view that linux system presented. (File System)

After loading windows setup application, all new partitions will assigned a drive letter
starting from primary partition first, then extended partition (i.e. logical drives).

Personally, I will suggest that don't use any thrid-party partition tool to install windows 7 for the first time.

It might be cause issues with this fresh OS.

Next time to re-installing it.
It would be fine to use that.
HalfBloodPrince
If you're willing to reinstall XP, first wipe your hard drive clean and install XP on the first half, then install 7 on the second half. If the Windows 7 bootloader doesn't detect XP (which I don't think it will), download EasyBCD and add an entry for XP (EasyBCD doesn't mess with partitions or anything, its just a nice GUI for the Windows bootloader). This is theoretical and I haven't tried it (haven't used XP at home in at least two years), but I think it should work.
Fire Boar
blueray wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

@Fire Boar

Windows does't call newly created partitions something /dev/hd[1-4] or the like.
It is a view that linux system presented. (File System)

After loading windows setup application, all new partitions will assigned a drive letter
starting from primary partition first, then extended partition (i.e. logical drives).

Personally, I will suggest that don't use any thrid-party partition tool to install windows 7 for the first time.

It might be cause issues with this fresh OS.

Next time to re-installing it.
It would be fine to use that.

Doesn't matter about what Windows calls them. When you're using gparted, they're called /dev/sd[a..][1..] whether you're aiming to use Windows or not. The drive letter that Windows uses is purely abstract and doesn't affect the partitioning step at all.

Also, gparted is not "used to install Windows 7". It's used to partition your disk so that you don't have to wipe out your old operating system, which is exactly what the OP wanted.