FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the best way to 'clean up' a pc

koen66
for removing spyware and other annoying things from a pc, i currently use these instructions http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313
Are there better solutions?
Any suggestions are welcome.
ocalhoun
For BEST results, format the computer completely, wipe it clean, re-install the operating system, then follow steps #1 and #2 from your link, then install the rest of your software, doing step #2 periodically. (Personally I use 'spyware search & destroy' and 'AVG free' for my scanning software: they're both trustworthy, and completely free, including updates.)

Then set up automatic updates and scans at least weekly, and be sure to scan anything you download before you open it.

For even better long term results, use firefox instead of internet explorer, and view all 'free' software with extreme suspicion. That should keep your computer spyware/malware/virus free for a long time.
bigt
ocalhoun wrote:
For BEST results, format the computer completely, wipe it clean, re-install the operating system, then follow steps #1 and #2 from your link, then install the rest of your software, doing step #2 periodically. (Personally I use 'spyware search & destroy' and 'AVG free' for my scanning software: they're both trustworthy, and completely free, including updates.)

Then set up automatic updates and scans at least weekly, and be sure to scan anything you download before you open it.

For even better long term results, use firefox instead of internet explorer, and view all 'free' software with extreme suspicion. That should keep your computer spyware/malware/virus free for a long time.

I concur. The best way to know that a computer is clean is to wipe it. It can also be one of the quickest ways to get the computer back up and working 100%. At work, we have images of systems that were made when the PC was known to be clean and we try to refresh those images from time to time to keep from having to download so many updates. For home users, Backup Backup Backup! Smile Seriously, make plenty of backups. If you have good copies of your data, it's no big deal to restore OS files and get back up and running clean.
malcolmpreen
maybe not everyones choice.... but wipe windows off, and install linux would be my plan !!!

Malcolm
Phinx
I agree, going Linux way is the best. Personaly i'm on the path of buying 2 pieces of equipment - a laptop and a desktop systems. Laptop for work, Desktop for games. This way i know that my work laptop will always be fresh, stress and lag free, while gamers desktop can be wiped dead if it gives any trouble as no important stuff will be stored there.
ocalhoun
malcolmpreen wrote:
maybe not everyones choice.... but wipe windows off, and install linux would be my plan !!!

Linux does provide better resistance to spyware and viruses, but it may not be user-friendly enough for someone who has to ask questions like the one that started this thread.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
malcolmpreen wrote:

Linux does provide better resistance to spyware and viruses, but it may not be user-friendly enough for someone who has to ask questions like the one that started this thread.
Right. I would be a complete "dud" with it. I wonder why by now they have not sorted out Linux for "dummies". Is it quite complicated to learn the basics? Is it something like the very old DOS prompt PCs?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Right. I would be a complete "dud" with it. I wonder why by now they have not sorted out Linux for "dummies". Is it quite complicated to learn the basics? Is it something like the very old DOS prompt PCs?

The more sophisticated distros are easier to use and install than windows in many ways now.

But, figuring out the differences, and figuring out how to solve issues that come up is probably still well beyond the average user.

It's gotten to the point now that a novice can easily use it, but you still need access to expert help if you're going to maintain it, fix problems, or set up unusual hardware or software configurations.
Fire Boar
ocalhoun wrote:
It's gotten to the point now that a novice can easily use it, but you still need access to expert help if you're going to maintain it, fix problems, or set up unusual hardware or software configurations.

So... pretty much the same as how it is with Windows really. Computer-savvy people fix problems that arise and get to know how the operating system ticks, if there are none available then you'd Get A Man In To Do It.

The difference is that Linux support is in a different place. Rather than phoning a hotline where someone is there to guide someone carefully through the steps and if necessary send someone along for a substantial fee, with Linux support is all in community forums like this one, and other channels such as IRC. You're not a customer, you're a user, and you get excellent advice from fellow users who are doing it because they want to, not because they are being paid. But you can't demand anything, because you are not paying anyone. You have no right to this support, whereas with Windows you are paying for it so you do have that right. In fact, you can buy support contracts from most Linux distributors which typically gives you access to a 24/7 hotline or similar service, from which you can expect commercial-standard support.

But there is a difference between "no right to support" and "no support", and people will be happy to help if you are happy to work with them and do a bit of legwork yourself. Just remember that nobody (except perhaps overly zealous Free Software advocates) wants you to use Linux. Microsoft wants you to use Windows. That's not the same as saying that everybody wants you to not use Linux, quite the contrary, it's just that where your "custom" goes is totally irrelevant when it comes to Free Software, because those who make it on the whole do it for their own enjoyment and satisfaction.

Anyway, isn't this topic getting a little off the rails?
aningbo
Quote:

how about shifting to macbook pro? its worth it. as for your query. FORMAT is the only solution. its not worth spending hours trying to remove the virus. format and installing the software takes about 3 hours maximum.
Fire Boar
aningbo wrote:
Code:

Then set up automatic updates and scans at least weekly, and be sure to scan [i]anything[/i] you download before you open it.

how about shifting to macbook pro? its worth it. as for your query. FORMAT is the only solution. its not worth spending hours trying to remove the virus. format and installing the software takes about 3 hours maximum.

Buy a new computer when you've got a perfectly good one right there? Maybe if the computer was very old, but normally, naa, stick with your existing one, install a fresh OS if Windows got virused and everything will be hunky dory. Macs are just too expensive and in any case are not for everyone.

Oh, and it's the quote tag you're after, not the code tag.
Diablosblizz
Who actually said he had a virus? Perhaps the user is asking HOW do you remove your viruses if you catch them. Of course, formatting is an option. If that's the case, here's my answer:

Usually do a scan with Malwarebytes, ALWAYS first. See what it picks up and continue from there. If the virus wasn't completely removed I'll go ahead and scan with my antivirus. I don't have a anti-spyware program as Malwarebytes will do the same thing.