FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suggestion for rule regarding copy-paste posts

deanhills
I think people need to be discouraged from making copy-paste posts that do not clearly discuss why the copy-paste is being used. Posts that only consist of copy-paste content without saying what it is about do not look good from a standard point of view, also encourages people to use this without really discussing it. Do you think it would be feasible to make it a rule that if the posting should only consist of a copy-paste quote, that it will be removed from the forum? If this could be done automatically with code, then that may help to get rid of spam too and help the moderators?

There has to be a lead paragraph which explains the purpose of using the quote from a third-party source, and why the poster is using that quote with regard to the discussion. Otherwise the post cannot really be meaningful as there is no real contribution from the author of the post. It also cannot really count as a post that has been made by the person who made a post with only copy-paste content.
rvec
this is already a rule, and if you report such posts we will spamcan the post or warn the user (or both). Sometimes a discussion starts where such posts are the first post in a topic, in such cases I mostly put a small warning in the post and warn the user if it happens more often.
deanhills
rvec wrote:
this is already a rule, and if you report such posts we will spamcan the post or warn the user (or both). Sometimes a discussion starts where such posts are the first post in a topic, in such cases I mostly put a small warning in the post and warn the user if it happens more often.

That is great. But in addition, do you think that it would be technically possible with code that if someone only has a copy-paste, that he/she would be unable to submit it and it would come up with a screen or something that says that it is not allowed. Obviously it would miss the posts that should be in quotes and aren't, but at least it would catch those that are only copy-paste.
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
rvec wrote:

That is great. But in addition, do you think that it would be technically possible with code that if someone only has a copy-paste, that he/she would be unable to submit it and it would come up with a screen or something that says that it is not allowed. Obviously it would miss the posts that should be in quotes and aren't, but at least it would catch those that are only copy-paste.

What if the user did write the text elsewhere (like in another text editor) and copy and paste it. It's nothing wrong about that. Before I started to use the dictionaries build into the browser I sometimes wrote the text in OpenOffice first to make sure my spelling was OK and then I copied and paste it in the form.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
rvec wrote:

What if the user did write the text elsewhere (like in another text editor) and copy and paste it. It's nothing wrong about that. Before I started to use the dictionaries build into the browser I sometimes wrote the text in OpenOffice first to make sure my spelling was OK and then I copied and paste it in the form.
I work that way too, but that is not what is meant. We are referring to genuine copy-paste here, i.e. copying from an article on the Web and putting it in quotes, etc. so all you have in the post is just the quoted article, with no original comment by the poster.
Peterssidan
Sorry I misunderstood you. In that case it's a good idea. Not sure if it's worth the effort to implement but that is up to Bondings to decide Wink
AftershockVibe
I wrote:
I thought that if you only posted a quote, then you get no points anyway.

Edit: Turns out you do though. Has this changed?

However, this would probably be the easiest way to implement it - modify the points code to discount anything between quote tags. This would stop people needlessly quoting to respond to people as well.

Personally, I don't think this is that much of a problem though given how infrequently it occurs and how quick the moderators are to spot it.
Peterssidan
AftershockVibe wrote:
However, this would probably be the easiest way to implement it - modify the points code to discount anything between quote tags. This would stop people needlessly quoting to respond to people as well.

I think the Cash mod already has that feature
Cash Mod 2.2.1 wrote:
Quote Include/Uninclude
* Capability to disable users from gaining points for quoted sections
deanhills
What about the fact that the person actually gets a credit for a posting? More than the points, that was what my concern was. Just a cut-and-paste post with no comment by the poster. A newbie once went through one Wikipedia article and copied and pasted a number of posts as new threads. Yes, we can report it, and the reporting system works very well. But if there could have been some code that could have been written that would not allow the person to submit only quoted articles and would have come up with a screen explaining it so that the person could understand what he/she has been doing wrong, this automatic feature may have been helpful for moderators as well as copy-and-paste posters. Peterssidan may have a point however. It may be too much hard work to justify the trouble of figuring out the code. Anyway, I just thought it could be a way of taking care of this as it would appear to be a real problem.
AftershockVibe
Surely anyone with the want to just copy and paste a post, if forced will just stick something like "This looks cool..." at the start?
deanhills
AftershockVibe wrote:
Surely anyone with the want to just copy and paste a post, if forced will just stick something like "This looks cool..." at the start?
That is obviously not ideal either, but at least better than just the cut and paste post.