FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VIDEO CARD TROUBLE AFTER ADDING RAM! PLEASE HELP!

JoShmo23
Im so frustrated! I have a Gateway GT5662 desktop pc standard with 3gb ram, 500gb hd, AMD phenom 9500 quad core processor, ATI Radeon hd2400xt vc, and windows vista home edition 32 bit os. Anyways I decided to grab a 1g ram stick and replaced one of my 512mb modules with the 1gb module to give my system a total of 3.5 gb ram instead of the standard 3gb. Well I open up the pc swap the modules put it back together and fired it up. Well the gateway start screen pops up and then you see the little load bar "the screen right b4 it prompts you to enter your password" and then BAM! My monitor says no signal. I use my 32" hd tv as my monitor and I hook it up with a hdmi cable using an adapter that came with my video card. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all video drivers still with no luck. I have never had a problem b4 I added the extra ram. I took the ram out even and replaced all default modules with still no luck. I know the card is not fried because i just tested it on a friends pc and it works just fine. However when i do have the ATI card in my pc I can boot it in safe mode just fine without the monitor losing signal. I just cannot start windows normally when hooked to the card only in safe mode. However I currently have my card removed and running my pc via vga to my monitor using my on board graphics with no problems at all. This is with the extra ram module and my system info is correct saying I now have 3.5gb ram. I just cannot seem to get my video card to work now. Someone told me to try something like disabling my on board graphics to see if that works. The thing is when my graphics card is installed I cannot use my on board graphics anyways because I believe when a video card is inserted in my pc it automatically disables my on board graphics. Im just so confused because the main reason I upgraded my ram was because I wanna play COD4 all damn day! lol. Someone please help I really want my video card to work. Crying or Very sad
ocalhoun
I think you might have just gotten a rude introduction into the world of ESD.

A discharge of static electricity that is too small for you to perceive can still fry things like memory chips and video cards...

Did you take precautions against ESD while working on the computer?
JoShmo23
ocalhoun wrote:
I think you might have just gotten a rude introduction into the world of ESD.

A discharge of static electricity that is too small for you to perceive can still fry things like memory chips and video cards...

Did you take precautions against ESD while working on the computer?

Ya totally i took all precautions when replacing the ram. Hands on metal case at all times along with a bracelet. Like I said my friend dl all of the ATI Drivers to his pc then stuck my video card in his pc with full functionality. The card still worked perfect on his pc. Also the memory that I installed in my pc works and is def showing in my system properties. I can also note that my system does run quite a bit faster. So I know the memory is 100% compatible. I can also hook my video card to my pc and it will let me boot in safe mode so i'm def positive the card isn't fried. I just cant get it to work in my computer when I run windows normally. Maybe I just need to do a complete system restore or a BIOS upgrade as the ram stick I got may just have a few conflicts with my card or something. Thank you for your reply it is very much appreciated i'm just so confused as to what to do now. if you or anyone else have any input as to what I should do please let me know cause I am at a loss. PS: I also hate that when my video card is in my pc that i cannot hook up to the on board graphics unless I pull the card back out of the system. Do all computers do this? The taking it out and putting it back in BS is pretty annoying when i'm sitting here trying 2 figure out the problem.
airh3ad
When replacing the RAM you should be care full may be you dont unplug you computer, remember there is a little electricity in our body. Okey put it back again to your computer first thing to do is clean your RAM by eraser clean it slowly , then put it back again to your computer. sometimes it can be conflict between the other memory depends on the brand .
JoShmo23
airh3ad wrote:
When replacing the RAM you should be care full may be you dont unplug you computer, remember there is a little electricity in our body. Okey put it back again to your computer first thing to do is clean your RAM by eraser clean it slowly , then put it back again to your computer. sometimes it can be conflict between the other memory depends on the brand .

oh for sure I unplugged my pc. That's just common sense. lol. Ya all ram is clean and brand new and like i said im having no problems getting my pc to recognize and work with the ram. It's the damn video card i'm having trouble with. My system wont even let me fully install my ATI drivers anymore. Oh well thanks for all the reply's I'm saying screw it and doing a complete system restore. Im gonna start fresh and work from there. Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked