FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MEGADETH - Endgame!

Afaceinthematrix
Last week, I bought the new Megadeth album, Endgame. I bought it the day it came out, took it home, and listened to it. I must admit that I was a little nervous because Megadeth's last album, United Abominations, wasn't too great, but I still decided to get it because I'm a Megadeth fan and they're one of my favorite bands (if not my all-time favorite).

This album ended up being an incredible album. This was their best album since Rust In Peace. In my opinion, if you're a metal fan, this is an album that you must listen to. The best songs are track one and three. Track one, called Dialectic Chaos, is a two and a half minute guitar solo. Track three, called 44 Minutes, is four and a half minutes of pure epicness.

Anyways... Has anyone else heard this album? I wanted to post it here because I wanted to know if it's just me that thinks that this is nothing short of incredible or if other people think that because it really is nothing short of incredible.
liljp617
I wouldn't put it as high as you did. Rust In Peace is way ahead of it in my opinion, but that's Rust In Peace for ya Razz

It is a very awesome album though and I'm glad we're still seeing great music come through all the junk today. I still miss Marty a lot, but I think the lead guitar work on this album is very solid even without him (I think Marty is somewhat of a metal guitarist genius so I talk him up a lot haha). I'm still listening to it, trying to grasp it in its entirety, but I've been listening to it for a couple days now and I can't say anything bad about it.
Afaceinthematrix
Yeah I do miss Marty. But more than Marty, I miss David Ellefson. He was the last original member of Megadeth (besides Dave, of course). When he left, I felt that the band turned from being "Megadeth" and became "Dave Mustaine live" or "Dave Mustaine + Band."

I'm still having trouble deciding if it's better than Rust In Peace or not. I've always considered Rust In Peace to Megadeth's masterpiece. I think one of the reasons why I consider Endgame to be so great is that my expectations were low. I wasn't too impressed with United Abominations (although I still consider it to be a decent album) so I went into it with much lower expectations where as Rust In Peace came out when I was a baby so I've always had the album to listen and so I've sort have taken it for granted...
Ophois
I've been listening to it quite a bit as well. Always been a fan of the 2 Dave's. You know who I miss more than Marty? Nick freakin Menza. That guy was a helluva drummer.
I agree, this is their best album since Rust. And I believe they will be coming near me on the GiganTour, but I'd have to check. Definitely one of my all time favorite metal bands. My brother and I were knocking back some beer and discussing how the history books of metal will remember Dave Mustaine. It was interesting, because he was so much more influential and innovative than he was ever given credit for.
Afaceinthematrix
^^I sorta miss Menza also. I wish I could have seen Megadeth when it was Dave, David Ellefson, Marty, and Nick...

I think that Mustaine has made a huge contribution to metal, and hopefully he'll be remembered for that. Megadeth and Metallica are two huge metal bands (two of the "big four") and Mustaine contributed to both... Although I'm glad that Metallica kicked him out because if they didn't, we wouldn't have Megadeth (although Metallica probably would have been more epic).
liljp617
I've come to dislike some of the lyrics and meanings in the songs. Dave has really gone off his rocker with all the conspiracy stuff. I would prefer he didn't put it into his songs; they're almost like campaign speeches sometimes =/
slashnburn99
could never got into Megadeath

liked the bit in some kinda monster where they met up again

but will have a look about for the new album
liljp617
slashnburn99 wrote:
could never got into Megadeath

liked the bit in some kinda monster where they met up again

but will have a look about for the new album

I'm not a huge fan (it's hard for me to get used to Dave's voice on most songs), but I don't dislike them. I love a good number of the songs, but can't get into others.
sandmanxyz
To me, this album is awesome. The guitar work is just phenomenal!
liljp617
sandmanxyz wrote:
To me, this album is awesome. The guitar work is just phenomenal!

Agreed. While I love Marty's playing and I happen to think he's more skilled, Broderick is definitely an amazing replacement.
Afaceinthematrix
liljp617 wrote:
I've come to dislike some of the lyrics and meanings in the songs. Dave has really gone off his rocker with all the conspiracy stuff. I would prefer he didn't put it into his songs; they're almost like campaign speeches sometimes =/

True. But I've never really listened to Megadeth for the lyrics... I love Mustaine's snarling voice, so I do listen to the vocals, but not the actual words (most of the time). I actually do that with most bands. I listen to the vocals and how they match with the music, but I mostly just treat the vocals as an instrument and listen to how they sound... That's probably a product to listening to so much black/death metal over the years... I like the vocals but cannot understand them. So, I don't really care about the lyrics... However, for some bands, like Metallica, I do listen to actual lyrics.
liljp617
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

True. But I've never really listened to Megadeth for the lyrics... I love Mustaine's snarling voice, so I do listen to the vocals, but not the actual words (most of the time). I actually do that with most bands. I listen to the vocals and how they match with the music, but I mostly just treat the vocals as an instrument and listen to how they sound... That's probably a product to listening to so much black/death metal over the years... I like the vocals but cannot understand them. So, I don't really care about the lyrics... However, for some bands, like Metallica, I do listen to actual lyrics.

This describes me somewhat well. Although I generally go through stages when listening to a new album or new music. For a while I just take it as a whole, then I tend to listen a lot for the instruments, then I start listening to the lyrics. As I become more familiar with the songs, the lyrics start to come out for me and I start piecing together what they're saying.

I'm probably being biased, as I especially dislike the appearance and demeanor that Dave typically gives outside of the music. Sitting down for talks with people like Alex Jones and giving them some sort of credibility, along with his ego...just doesn't sit well with me when combined. Although I don't know the guy so this is kind of mean haha
Ophois
HUGE ego on Dave. But I have found that a majority of rock stars are like that, so it doesn't really bother me so much. At least Dave earned his ego, with all the people and bands that he has influenced over the years.

With the lyrics... I don't mind it at all. Yeah, Dave is a bit of a "conspiracy theorist" when it comes to politics, but I actually like that. It makes for entertaining lyrics, to me. For the same reason that the X-Files was an entertaining show: it's way out there, but if you treat it as entertainment/fiction, then it's just fun.
liljp617
Ophois wrote:
HUGE ego on Dave. But I have found that a majority of rock stars are like that, so it doesn't really bother me so much. At least Dave earned his ego, with all the people and bands that he has influenced over the years.

With the lyrics... I don't mind it at all. Yeah, Dave is a bit of a "conspiracy theorist" when it comes to politics, but I actually like that. It makes for entertaining lyrics, to me. For the same reason that the X-Files was an entertaining show: it's way out there, but if you treat it as entertainment/fiction, then it's just fun.

I don't necessarily fault him for his ego, it's just slightly annoying. I'd say most front men in any band are pretty egotistical...it's pretty much a requirement if you plan on going anywhere.

The difference in the analogy is that the makers of X-Files episodes knew their creation was whacked and irrational, they knew what they were making shows about wasn't really truthful or even possible at times. I can't say the same about what Mustaine puts out there; I'm pretty sure he legitimately believes in all the New World Order, Alex Jones nonsense.
metalfreek
I am a megadeth fan as well. I like their singles like Paranoid, Peace sells who's buying, Symphony of destruction, Countdown to extinction, Insomnia, power metal, train of consequences etc. I haven't got this new album Endgame yet but I am thinking of grabbing this album soon.
Ophois
liljp617 wrote:
I don't necessarily fault him for his ego, it's just slightly annoying. I'd say most front men in any band are pretty egotistical...it's pretty much a requirement if you plan on going anywhere.

The difference in the analogy is that the makers of X-Files episodes knew their creation was whacked and irrational, they knew what they were making shows about wasn't really truthful or even possible at times. I can't say the same about what Mustaine puts out there; I'm pretty sure he legitimately believes in all the New World Order, Alex Jones nonsense.
Yeah, I know Mustaine probably buys into his own paranoia 100%. I was just saying that I like the X-Files, even though I know it's fake, just like I like Tom Clancy novels too, and all the conspiracy theory, global government plot type stuff, it's entertaining to me. I just treat Megadeth the same way, even if Dave actually means it. To me, it's like reading the DaVinci Code; it's clever and exciting and entertaining, but ultimately a bunch of bullsh*t.
liljp617
metalfreek wrote:
I am a megadeth fan as well. I like their singles like Paranoid, Peace sells who's buying, Symphony of destruction, Countdown to extinction, Insomnia, power metal, train of consequences etc. I havent to this new album Endgame. I am thinking of grabbing this album soon.

You won't be sorry Smile I personally think it was a little exaggerated as soon as it was released, but it's by no means a bad album. Well worth the money.
welshsteve
I do like Megadeth. Couldn't say what my favourite album was. I was impressed with the more meoldic Countdown To Extinction. Rust In Peace was great.
omershiloh
great song tnxx Very Happy