FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So, you are lazy to download a FTP program eh?

Do you want me to continue with this tutorial?
Yes
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
No
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

n0obie4life
The Ultimate Guide to FTPing using MS-DOS!
by n0obie4life

You must be thinking i'm CRAZY eh?
But heck, its possible to FTP using MS-DOS Wink
No, I'm not lying Angel
My screenshots are based on a WINME / 98. So if your using XP, add some common sense in Dancing

But first, you must remember if you are using WINME / 98 or WINXP. Thats the evil part Twisted Evil .

The tutorial starts from here onwards! Happy Learning with the n00b!

Basically, first, you go to the Start Menu and Click on Run

Then if you are using WINME / 98, type this
Code:
ftp <website>.frihost.net

Or if you are using WINXP, type this (although the above would work too)
Code:
cmd
then the black window should popup, and you type
Code:
ftp <website>.frihost.net

It should start to connect with a message, then show these messages (may vary)
Code:
Connected to website.frihost.net.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 4 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 05:48. Server port: 21.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
User (website.frihost.net:(none)):

Key in your username. Hit enter. Then key in your password, note that it won't show "*"'s like it does in your FTP program, nor does that blinking underscore move.

Tada, you are inside your host! Applause Applause Applause

Now, lets remember these 2 frequently used words.
Remote Host - FRIHost's Server
Local Host - Your PC

Now, lets type
Code:
dir

First, lets look at where the green arrow is pointed (the red is censored to protect myself Mr. Green)

That one is the CHMOD settings. Look at the first letter (as in if it were D---------).

If the first letter is a "D" that means its a directory. If its a "L", that means its a shortcut to another directory (ie, www links to public_html). A "-" means its a file, obviously?

So lets go onto the next 3.

R -- Read
W -- Write
X -- Execute

So the after the first "D" or "L" or "-", the first 3 is for ADMIN. The next 3 is for GROUP. Then the last 3 is for PUBLIC.

Well, I have no idea what is GROUP. But I know whats ADMIN and PUBLIC.

ADMIN -- Means you while logged into FTP with your main account or in cpanel.
PUBLIC -- Means you while not logged into FTP with your main account or in cpanel and the rest of the world.
GROUP -- Bondings' please tell meeeeeee[

Okay. I'm going to stop here. Please tell me if you want me to continue this tutorial. I won't like to keep typing and then no one likes it Sad

This tutorial is copyright &copy; n0obie4life, made for FRIHost.

Should you use this tutorial on your own website, please credit the author for his hard work and host the images on your own host.

n0obie4life nor FRIHost is responsible for what-so-ever that will happen to your computer or yourself while using this tutorial.
dan751
You can continue with the tutorial if you want. I already know how FTP through MS-DOS, I learned it last year at school and have used MS-DOS FTP at school when working on my site. However, I use FileZilla at home.Very Happy So, I personally am not too lazy to download an FTP client.Very Happy
Daniel15
The 'group' is a standard UNIX term which means other people in your usergroup. For example, a Windows NT-based operating system (eg. Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP) might have groups such as 'Administrator', 'Power Users', etc. Groups on Linux/UNIX are similar. On most web hosts (and Linux hosts in general), every user is in their own group, but they can also be in other groups. An example of this is on a Linux computer with a modem attached. A user needs to be in the 'dip' group in order to use the modem (otherwise, they don't have permission to access it)

And you don't need to type 'CMD' in the Run box under Windows XP. Typing in 'ftp frihost.net' works just fine.
Sunny
I hate working in MS DOS,

Why not use Internet Explorer. Its most easiest way to ftp I thinkand works fine. All you need is Internet Explorer,
Just open an ie windows and type

ftp://username:password@frihost.net

and work as if your browsing the folders in your own pc.

P.S. : in dos you will require to type the directory names manually, and since the fix is for lazy ppls so not a good idea? lmao .With IE ffp you just need to click the folders so kinda much easier.
Daniel15
Sunny wrote:
Why not use Internet Explorer. Its most easiest way to ftp I think and works fine. All you need is Internet Explorer,
Just open an ie windows and type

ftp://username:password@frihost.net

and work as if your browsing the folders in your own pc.

P.S. : in dos you will require to type the directory names manually, and since the fix is for lazy ppls so not a good idea? lmao .With IE ffp you just need to click the folders so kinda much easier.

Internet Explorer FTP is EVIL! Half the time it doesn't even work properly (timeouts are common).

Anyway, If you're one of the crazy people that uses Explorer FTP, you should log in by going to ftp://ftp.frihost.com/, and then click File --> Login As.... If you type the username and password in the address bar, I believe it's saved to the history (so anyone that uses your computer can see your password).
progman89
You don't have to do any of that complicated stuff and you don't have to have Windows. Just go to http://www.net2ftp.com/ - it's an FTP client that runs in the browser.
Sunny
Quote:
Internet Explorer FTP is EVIL! Half the time it doesn't even work properly (timeouts are common).

Not true...I never get any connection time out problem.Works great for me and we are talking about those who are lazy to download the ftp progys.
yjwong
I got this error when I type dir: "No data connection".
friscofrankie
been using a command line ftp for years. There are some good reasons for using it but for the life of me I can;t think of a single one right now. THe GUI ftpclients are all cool and allow for much easier multiple puts and gets. Also give you a better idea of what's on the remote server and what dir you're in. pwd works onthe server but you're really stuck with chdir-ing using absolute paths so that you're sure you know where you are locally. You may also have difficulty remembering exact file names when uploading.
But if you never use this handy little tool when a single file or two need to be uploaded how can you every consider yourself a proper computer type person? let alone a proper geek.
Any ne that works with web pages should by all means learn the use of command line utilities. Sure helps in the understanding of what it is you're doing. Don't be afriad to go out "into the dark" of the command line.
By all means continue with the tutorial and in win98 you could type command at the run box and then use ftp from there. Linux has an ftp client and just about every *nix out there has one.
dan751
progman89 wrote:
You don't have to do any of that complicated stuff and you don't have to have Windows. Just go to http://www.net2ftp.com/ - it's an FTP client that runs in the browser.

phpWebFTP works in the same fashion, however, I just tried net2ftp and I like it better.
nik
"So, you are lazy to download a FTP program eh?"

lazy to download ftp prog but not to use dos?

thought it's nice Guide to users that wish to use dos.

the only place i maybe use it is in my school when i'll need to get in the ftp. but then again i can use IE.
Daniel15
I use a text-based FTP program called 'yafc - Yet Another FTP Client' under linux, the main reason is because it supports recursive transfers (ie. transfer a whole folder with one command)

For anyone running linux and wanting a good text-based client, you can get it here: http://yafc.sourceforge.net/
n0obie4life
Its still better to use IExplore for browsing. Thats its purpose. Not for FTPing.
budazz
nice tutorial....ms dos...ftp using msdos is possible...because this is the real interface of windows...

windows is just a GUI... Very Happy
zrule
Im not lazy, but this tutorial is useful to get a list of stored files.
Im using this cmd connection from time to times.
but I should disable my windows firewall. Sad