FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NaNoWriMo 2009!

georgeodowd
The countdown for National Novel Writing Month 2009 starts in just a few days. Is anyone here planning on participating? Have you done so before?

Check out www.nanowrimo.org for more information on the event.

Last year was the first time I succeeded, and I have plans to do so again this year, no matter the obstacles! Nothing like being able to say you've written a novel (even if it does need a lot of work to be publicly consumable...) Wink
wombatrpgs
I think I'll actually try this year... I've known about it for a few years and had intentions of attempting, but I guess it's worth a shot.
Radar
Wishing I could, but I think my better instincts are going to prevail. Too many other commitments in life for the moment.
georgeodowd
wombatrpgs wrote:
I think I'll actually try this year... I've known about it for a few years and had intentions of attempting, but I guess it's worth a shot.

It is! I was highly skeptical of it at first, and gave it a few half-hearted attempts in years past, but last year I decided to suck it up and finish. I guess it helped that I had (and still have) an immensely boring job, although this year I've had a lot more real work to do. I'm more intimidated this time around, but I'm still determined to give it my all! Nothing like knowing you've written a novel from start to finish, even if it needs a lot of work when you're done...

Just a few more days until the new site is launched!
wombatrpgs
I'm a student, so hopefully I'll be able to find time. And I'm committed to editing it as well... which I weirdly enjoy more than actually writing. Looking forward to the new site.
kutekitten
I think I'll try it in a year or two... I'm trying to focus on school right now and I don't think I can balance both. I think it'll take me a while to write something as long as a novel. Actually, it's currently taking me a bit to keep up with this forum, not to mention my website as well Razz But maybe in a couple years, when things get a bit sorted out, I'll be able to make myself spend enough time to write a novel.
georgeodowd
wombatrpgs wrote:
And I'm committed to editing it as well... which I weirdly enjoy more than actually writing.

Same here. I'm much better at making shapes out of existing content than starting from scratch. That's why NaNo is so helpful - gets me through the difficult part by distracting me, then leaves me with something to work on!
Of course I say this yet I still haven't touched last year's draft! Embarassed
georgeodowd
kutekitten wrote:
I think I'll try it in a year or two... I'm trying to focus on school right now and I don't think I can balance both.

I felt the same way the first few years I tried NaNoWriMo. I think it all comes down to having something else you need to do that's (a) boring and (b) put-off-able. Which is my current job (most of the time), so it works out well for me. Smile
georgeodowd
The countdown is getting close! Has everyone decided on their novel idea? I'm still torn between three different plots and the shiny temptation of something completely new. I think I'll just let pen hover above paper and go with the first thing that comes to me on November 1st.
saratdear
I did sign up, but for the Young Writers Program (I am younger than 17). I set my goal to 25000 words, although there is no telling whether I will do it or not.

Anybody started writing?
wombatrpgs
Ugh, I should, but so much other work to do today...
georgeodowd
I was lucky enough to attend a local write-in yesterday, which meant I exceeded my daily goal of 2,000 words. However, today and tomorrow are not looking promising. I am so over-committed! It makes me very comfortable to be behind the first week, but what can you do? I will just have to suck it up with some word wars!
georgeodowd
Has anyone else made a successful start? Apparently the first word is where most people fall off the wagon, so get that first word on the page. It's not too late to start!
georgeodowd
How is everyone's word count coming? I'm 6,000 words behind where I had hoped to be today, but with some unexpected deadlines at both of my jobs, it's not looking so good. I'm trying to sneak in a hundred words or so every half hour so I don't get even more behind. The smaller you break down your word targets, the easier it is to reach them!
wombatrpgs
8500 words and going strong. This is slightly easier than I thought it would be.
georgeodowd
I just crossed the 20,000 word line. I've been lagging the entire time, but my goal is to somehow miraculously make it to 48,000 by Saturday evening so that I can cross the 50K line at the Night of Writing Dangerously! I'm very skeptical about this happening, since it means I have to write about 5K a night from here on out... but who knows. Maybe my sluggish story is past the doldrums and on the way to a nice easy downhill slope! Here's hoping....
georgeodowd
How is everyone else coming along? Has anyone hit any major goals past the 25K line? Like 30K, 40K, etc?
georgeodowd
Oh, also - anyone going to the Night of Writing Dangerously in SF this year? I decided to suck it up and shell out the $150 to go with someone, because I regretted not going last year so much.
It looks like it's going to be awesome this year - so excited!
wombatrpgs
There's no way I'm flying to SF, but the writing is going well. For some stupid reason I decided to work on two novels at the same time this year. Both are just above 25,000 words. Somehow having two of them is helping me get it done... If I get bored with one, I just switch. (My quality is horrible though. I'm not letting myself change anything already on the page)
guggs
I have 49,950 words left to write by midnight tonight. The odds are stacked against me, and every character I type here is a character that could have gone towards my target so I'd better stop wri
georgeodowd
I finished! Did anyone else? I got to about 54,000 words by the deadline, and managed to tack on a rather tacky ending to my novel. In fact, the last 20,000 words were completely bizarre. People started jumping out of windows and accusing others of being vampires and generally acting completely unlike themselves. But that's next year's problem when I pull it out for editing. Now it's time to take a stab at last year's novel!
georgeodowd
Oh, and the Night of Writing Dangerously was pretty awesome. My friend and I were personally welcomed into the building by Chris Baty, and the ambiance was perfect for writing. I managed to get past a big hump in my plot and write almost 6,000 words while I was there.
supernova1987a
I saw once NaBloPoMo national blog posting month. Extremely good idea. I wish I did write a novel. I have always dreamt of writing one. But my language is not so good.
wombatrpgs
georgeodowd wrote:
Oh, and the Night of Writing Dangerously was pretty awesome. My friend and I were personally welcomed into the building by Chris Baty, and the ambiance was perfect for writing. I managed to get past a big hump in my plot and write almost 6,000 words while I was there.

Wait, really? That's a lot of words. How long exactly were you writing for?
Tuvitor
I didn't finish a novel of its own, but I certainly got a whole lot done on the next revision of my flagship novel series...
wombatrpgs
I should start revising... Then again, I still have ~25,000 words to go to complete the plot, despite that fact that I finished with 60,000.
FunDa
Cool ....

I simply don't think I have the patience to write anything more than a few pages long. Especially since the only thing I write for more than a page are answers in my exams. and believe me do, some of them are completely top-class fiction ansers to questions that I have no idea about Wink
JessieF
I haven't participated, though I have been a member for 2 years. :/ I don't care for the website or the way I have to submit my projects. Oh well, I've published my first book of poetry elsewhere. Very Happy
wombatrpgs
You don't have to use the website to participate. Ha, and it's not like anything generated through it is publishable anyway, at least not without a lot of effort put into it. If that's your aim going in, don't expect much coming out. Though having completed it this year, I'm anticipating the next. Should be amusing, anyway, as I'll have an even bigger workload...
c'tair
I totally forgot about it in 2009 and caught up when it was almost over. Guess I'll wait until this year's edition and then fire away. Might be a good exercise for an aspiring writer.
Radar
Oh, it is. Prioritizing quantity over quality might not be the best way to start out, but it really helps you expand your horizons, and understand what you are capable of.
wombatrpgs
Hey, just felt like bumping this to see who's doing it this time around. Or maybe NaNoWriMo 2010 warrants a new topic...
wombatrpgs
It's kind of depressing that I was the only post last year... Anyway, is anyone else participating this year?