FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

White Privilege, the Palins, US politics

handfleisch
Written back before the election of 2008, excerpts from this essay make a point pertinent to what is going on in the US today.

Quote:
This is Your Nation on White Privilege

By Tim Wise

For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “******’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their ******' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot shit” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend five different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don’t all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you’re “untested.”

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto is “Alaska first,” and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she’s being disrespectful.

White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God’s punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you’re just a good church-going Christian, but if you’re black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you’re an extremist who probably hates America.
White privilege is being able to go to a prestigious prep school, then to Yale and then Harvard Business school, and yet, still be seen as just an average guy (George W. Bush) while being black, going to a prestigious prep school, then Occidental College, then Columbia, and then to Harvard Law, makes you "uppity," and a snob who probably looks down on regular folks.

White privilege is being able to graduate near the bottom of your college class (McCain), or graduate with a C average from Yale (W.) and that's OK, and you're cut out to be president, but if you're black and you graduate near the top of your class from Harvard Law, you can't be trusted to make good decisions in office.

White privilege is being able to dump your first wife after she's disfigured in a car crash so you can take up with a multi-millionaire beauty queen (who you go on to call the c-word in public) and still be thought of as a man of strong family values, while if you're black and married for nearly twenty years to the same woman, your family is viewed as un-American and your gestures of affection for each other are called "terrorist fist bumps."

White privilege is when you can develop a pain-killer addiction, having obtained your drug of choice illegally like Cindy McCain, go on to beat that addiction, and everyone praises you for being so strong, while being a black guy who smoked pot a few times in college and never became an addict means people will wonder if perhaps you still get high, and even ask whether or not you ever sold drugs.

White privilege is being able to sing a song about bombing Iran and still be viewed as a sober and rational statesman, with the maturity to be president, while being black and suggesting that the U.S. should speak with other nations, even when we have disagreements with them, makes you "dangerously naive and immature."

White privilege is, in short, the problem.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec3_1222190086
Ophois
This is exactly the racism that a few people have had the courage to shine a light upon, only to be told that the claims are absurd and unfounded. It reminds me of a picture:

Now, presumably, the captions of both pictures were written by two different authors. So one could argue that the author of the second caption just chose their words better. Or more likely, the people in the lower photo were the benefactors of White Privilege, as opposed to the equally desperate guy above, who was called a thief in front of the entire world by the Associated Press. But this is the problem; there is a separate set of rules regarding how minorities are treated and even written about in this country. It's an unspoken and widely unknown second set of rules, which many people follow without even realizing it. Is the author of the first caption an overt racist? Probably not, they likely just have been bred to believe that a person of color taking something that they didn't buy, even in such dire circumstances, is a thief, or in this case, 'looting'. Whereas a white person doing the exact same thing is simply gathering survival supplies because of the dire circumstances.

This kind of thing gets ridiculed as a fluke amongst apologizers. They jump through so many hoops to disprove the fact that racism(and I refuse to call it anything else) is rampant, even if subtle. The article you cited wants to call it White Privilege, that's fine. I call a dog a dog, and I refuse to 'pretty up' what, to me, is a very ugly aspect of our society and culture and heritage. Until people start calling it out and dealing with it, then this subtle form of racism, or White Privilege, will continue to grow and fester until it creates a situation that we can't handle.

Again.
jwellsy
Thanks for posting this. I had never heard of this lunatic idiot Tim Wise. He's another fine example of a racist.
Ophois
jwellsy wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I had never heard of this lunatic idiot Tim Wise. He's another fine example of a racist.
So um... I guess you are objecting to his claim that these things happen? Or perhaps you are saying it's ok that they do? Help me out here, because I don't see how Tim Wise's pointing out of racism, which certainly does exist in the way he describes, makes him a racist.
jmi256
The link to the source didn’t work, so I can’t provide my opinion on the merits of the source or whether it was written as a joke, but I'm guessing this entire post is intended to incite and inflame. But I can't resist biting. I would argue that the "examples" cited in this opinion piece actually prove the opposite of what is stated.

Quote:

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

So are you saying that Bristol Palin was never typified as irresponsible, pathological and an arbiter of social decay? The reality of the fringe left's attack on her would prove otherwise.

Quote:

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “******’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their ******' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot shit” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

What is the difference between some idiot white kid calling himself a redneck and when an idiot black kid refers to himself as a "ni***r"? In my mind, both are derogatory racial terms that shouldn’t be used in such a manner, and using them to refer to yourself is just plain stupid.

Quote:
White privilege is when you can attend five different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

Again, are you arguing that no one questioned Sarah Palin’s “intelligence or commitment to achievement”? Reality seems to prove otherwise once again.

Quote:
White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don’t all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you’re “untested.”

How exactly is this related to race? The debate over Obama’s qualifications was that he had very minimal experience in the Senate as a junior senator that failed to vote almost as much as he did vote on legislation. The debate over Obama’s vs. Palin’s qualifications has been argued to death and really isn’t an issue any more since the election is over, but the stance that Palin wasn’t (and continues to be) raked over the coals is laughable. I think that the discussion is about real qualifications and not being qualified solely due to race, such as the whole Sotomayor issue, is a positive step forward.

Quote:

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

Does the author live in some type of imaginary land with no access to the media? Gun owners are constantly portrayed as backward, aggressive, delusional, racist, and a whole other host of derogatory terms just because they embrace their 2nd Amendment rights.

Quote:
White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto is “Alaska first,” and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she’s being disrespectful.

Again, are you saying no one questioned the beliefs and character of the Palin family? I recall this being a major attack during the election, but very little mainstream media attention was focused on Obama’s family and it’s dealings.

Quote:
White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God’s punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you’re just a good church-going Christian, but if you’re black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you’re an extremist who probably hates America.

This rant is just all over the place. It’s more an attack on the Christian church than anything else. If the author’s argument is that Wright’s positions are valid, that’s a whole other topic that I just don’t have time to get into. But exactly what does this have to do with race? It seems to me that Obama was criticized because of his intimate relationship with this nutjob, not because he’s black.

Quote:
White privilege is being able to go to a prestigious prep school, then to Yale and then Harvard Business school, and yet, still be seen as just an average guy (George W. Bush) while being black, going to a prestigious prep school, then Occidental College, then Columbia, and then to Harvard Law, makes you "uppity," and a snob who probably looks down on regular folks.

I would argue that despite the credentials listed above, GWB was cast as a dolt by the fringe left. Obama makes as many, if not more, gaffes and can’t string along six words into a coherent sentence without the aid of a teleprompter and somehow he’s portrayed as intelligent?

Quote:
White privilege is being able to graduate near the bottom of your college class (McCain), or graduate with a C average from Yale (W.) and that's OK, and you're cut out to be president, but if you're black and you graduate near the top of your class from Harvard Law, you can't be trusted to make good decisions in office.

This seems to counter the argument above. Which is it? And exactly what does this have to do with race?

Quote:
White privilege is being able to dump your first wife after she's disfigured in a car crash so you can take up with a multi-millionaire beauty queen (who you go on to call the c-word in public) and still be thought of as a man of strong family values, while if you're black and married for nearly twenty years to the same woman, your family is viewed as un-American and your gestures of affection for each other are called "terrorist fist bumps."

Again, what does this personal attack have to do with race? I actually think the Obama family is a keen reflection of a good American family.

Quote:
White privilege is when you can develop a pain-killer addiction, having obtained your drug of choice illegally like Cindy McCain, go on to beat that addiction, and everyone praises you for being so strong, while being a black guy who smoked pot a few times in college and never became an addict means people will wonder if perhaps you still get high, and even ask whether or not you ever sold drugs.

First of all, Obama admits that he did more than smoke pot a few times in college. I also don’t recall Obama being accused of dealing drugs, but I may be wrong. But on this point I will give you some leeway. While I don’t think it’s an example of “white privilege,” I do think the black culture in the US has elevated the role of drug dealer through movies, TV, music, etc. that when a black person is involved with drugs it is automatically assumed they were dealing. More of a sad commentary on black culture than “white privilege.”

Quote:
White privilege is being able to sing a song about bombing Iran and still be viewed as a sober and rational statesman, with the maturity to be president, while being black and suggesting that the U.S. should speak with other nations, even when we have disagreements with them, makes you "dangerously naive and immature."

Again, where is the race issue? McCain’s “song” was understandably a stupid move, but I don’t think he did it because he was white, and he definitely didn’t get a pass on it. That clip was played over and over and he definitely took a hit for it.

Quote:
White privilege is, in short, the problem.

Actually, the irrational focus and hype on “white privilege” is the problem. I don’t oppose Obama’s policies because he’s 50% black. I oppose the policies because they are 100% wrong.
jwellsy
Tim Wise is just another racists hate monger that has to perpetuate hatred to keep their income stream alive, just like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.
handfleisch
The ghostwriter of Sarah Palin's new book is a creationist who pals around with white supremacists.
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/54301,people,news,sarah-palins-ghostwriter-raises-questions
Quote:
Her collaborator isn’t just a creationist. There’s the white supremacy issue, too
By Nigel Horne

The memoir of Sarah Palin, Going Rogue: An American Life, is not due to be released for another six weeks and already it is outselling Dan Brown's latest blockbuster, The Lost Symbol. But that isn't the reason Palin's book is the talk of New York publishing circles: what's getting tongues wagging is the publisher's choice of ghostwriter, a San Diego-based journalist called Lynn Vincent.

For the past 10 years, Vincent has been working for the Christian-based World magazine, from which she took time off to work on Palin's book. She is a creationist and strongly anti-abortion, the subject of many of her World columns.

She is also staunchly anti-gay, backing the controversial vote to re-criminalise gay marriage in California, and - this is where Palin and her publishers might have drawn the line, but didn't - she is closely associated with a well-known white supremacist.

He is Robert Stacey McCain (no relation to John McCain), a former editor at the Washington Times, a paper he left two years ago after a steaming row with a colleague.

For a taste of McCain's politics, this is him on the subject of interracial marriage: "[The] media now force interracial images into the public mind and a number of perfectly rational people react to these images with an altogether natural revulsion. The white person who does not mind transacting business with a black bank clerk may yet be averse to accepting the clerk as his sister-in-law, and THIS IS NOT RACISM, no matter what Madison Avenue, Hollywood and Washington tell us."
deanhills
Conversely, how about a white policeman who had to restrain a black Harvard professor who was obviously out of control, being immediately branded a racist? And then a black President intervening on the side of his black friend, making it much worse, in that of course the police had to apologize immediately, even before the case could be properly investigated. It does not make racism on either side right or wrong, but racism in reverse is prevalent everywhere. In this particular case one can well mention black privilege, as it indeed was. White privilege is not that exclusive anymore.