FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Miles Per Gallon for Electric Hybrids

Possum
Hi
Does anyone know how to calculate the Miles Per Gallon for Electric Hybrids. I keep on reading about these cars getting 200+ mpg. But this is advertising rubbish.

Thank You..
ocalhoun
Simple.

Miles driven since last fill-up divided by gallons needed to fill the tank.

Of course, you'll need a hybrid to test it with. Otherwise, you'll have to trust other peoples' calculations of it. And, since it varies with the type of driving, and driving style, each set of results will be slightly (or significantly) different.

Here's a site that compares a wide variety of cars for gas mileage:
http://www.autohopper.com/fuel_economy_cars/results_gas_mileage.asp

The top results are hybrids, of course, but if saving money is your goal, then do yourself a favor:
Buy This 1994 Geo Metro instead.
It gets 53 miles per gallon (only 7 less than the Prius), and costs $20,000 less.

Assuming $3.00 per gallon gas, you'll have to drive a Prius about 400,000 miles to make up the price difference with gas savings.

If environmental impact is your concern, then you should still get the Geo Metro rather than the Prius... Why? You can use the $20,000 you save on it to make your house solar or wind powered, or do other things that benefit the environment a lot more than 7mpg will.
Possum
thx

I see all these claims of savings. But they just don't seem correct. Marketing I think

thank You