FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SPAM

coreymanshack
I've been noticing a little bit of spam on some blog posts, particularly Server 2/3 DDOS by bondings.

Are these bots or just real people screwing around?
Are spam blog posts undeleteable?
Ghost Rider103
Most of them are real I believe. I made a thread about this before.

Turns out the mods only delete things like links to adult content, warez, etc.

They are able to be deleted, though I guess they don't really take the time to remove all of them, as their are no "official" blog post/commenting rules.

It's quite bad if you ask me. Just about ever blog has spam on it. Commenting on blogs does count for your number of post and Frih$. I never looked to see if it counts for points, but I wouldn't see why not.

I agree something needs to be done. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Maybe a blog moderator would be a good position to add to the staff.
coreymanshack
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Most of them are real I believe. I made a thread about this before.

Turns out the mods only delete things like links to adult content, warez, etc.

They are able to be deleted, though I guess they don't really take the time to remove all of them, as their are no "official" blog post/commenting rules.

It's quite bad if you ask me. Just about ever blog has spam on it. Commenting on blogs does count for your number of post and Frih$. I never looked to see if it counts for points, but I wouldn't see why not.

I agree something needs to be done. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Maybe a blog moderator would be a good position to add to the staff.

Ahh, thanks for your response. I keep seeing stupid crap on some of the blog posts that doesn't even make sense, people just taking advantage of the points system. It's not out of hand yet, but it's getting there, we will eventually need a blog moderator.
deanhills
Would it be possible to enable blog owners to delete the spam from their own blogs, in essence moderate their own blogs?
rajpk
thanx for sharing

i think blog owner can moderate thier own blog.........

which can less burden from a moderator.......

whats your opinion----???

is it possible or not?
Ghost Rider103
If blog owners could delete spam comments on their own blog post, we wouldn't be having this conversation, and it wouldn't have just been suggested.

Rolling Eyes
coreymanshack
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
If blog owners could delete spam comments on their own blog post, we wouldn't be having this conversation, and it wouldn't have just been suggested.

Rolling Eyes

I think he doesn't speak good english, but I think that the feature should be implemented.
ninjakannon
deanhills wrote:
Would it be possible to enable blog owners to delete the spam from their own blogs, in essence moderate their own blogs?

But this would enable people to delete legitimate posts as well, which isn't fair.
ocalhoun
ninjakannon wrote:
deanhills wrote:

But this would enable people to delete legitimate posts as well, which isn't fair.

Why isn't that fair? It's their blog, why not give them control over it?
ninjakannon
ocalhoun wrote:
Why isn't that fair? It's their blog, why not give them control over it?

For several reasons!

Firstly, someone who has posted a perfectly valid post would lose points and frih if their post was removed, despite the fact that they took the time to read and comment sincerely. Further, the blog owner would have the ability to censor things that went against their views or that they didn't like even if they are valid points/arguments. This would, in turn, portray an incorrect representation of responses and differing views to later readers.

I think these are very good reasons not to allow people to delete replies to their own blogs.
deanhills
ninjakannon wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That would be a little crazy wouldn't it? If it were your blog and someone made a legitimate post, why would you want to delete it? And yes, Ocalhoun is right, if you did want to delete it, why would that be a problem? If someone should loose points because the blog owner deleted the post, and it was a legitimate post, all that person has to do is never post in that blog again. That is the risk a blog owner would take if he indiscriminately deleted legitimate posts.
ninjakannon
They might want to delete it for reasons I have already stated. Why would it be a problem? Again, I have already given one reason why it would be a problem; however, it being a problem is not the only point against this. They fact that I could no longer trust the integrity of replies along with the uncertainty about whether or not I was wasting my time posting aren't exactly problems, but are still cons of the proposal.

I also foresee another issue that could occur, which I did not realise before. Some, if not many, people would not delete any replies. Further, I could pay you frih not to delete my spam posts on your blog, so that I can keep in positive points.
deanhills
ninjakannon wrote:
They might want to delete it for reasons I have already stated. Why would it be a problem? Again, I have already given one reason why it would be a problem; however, it being a problem is not the only point against this. They fact that I could no longer trust the integrity of replies along with the uncertainty about whether or not I was wasting my time posting aren't exactly problems, but are still cons of the proposal.

I also foresee another issue that could occur, which I did not realise before. Some, if not many, people would not delete any replies. Further, I could pay you frih not to delete my spam posts on your blog, so that I can keep in positive points.
OK, good point, but how many blogs are like that however? Won't it be an offsetting negative for a great positive, i.e. getting rid of spam on your blog? Blogs are much more personal than posting in the forums. I don't have a blog on Frihost, but I would imagine if I had one, I would be really irritated if I find I am being spammed, or comments are made that are obscene or unbecoming. Maybe there will be abuses as you described, but I believe the plusses outweigh the negatives in a big way. I think most of us would be able to recognize blogs that trade in spam, and by definition of that kind of spam, they would in all probability be blogs that you would be disinterested in.
ninjakannon
Maybe you're right; I'm not really sure whether the pros outweigh the cons to be perfectly honest. I'm glad I made some of the negatives I thought of apparent, though - it's not all good!

And yes, I think it would be easy to spot the spammed blogs, but to delete the spam would require a moderator, which was the issue we were trying to avoid.
rvec
The only solution would probably to get a "blog moderator" like those for the language forums, but I doubt anyone is willing to read through the blogs every now and then to remove all the spammy posts. Also the rules for spam in the blogs have to be made clearer before anything like this can be done effectively.
deanhills
rvec wrote:
The only solution would probably to get a "blog moderator" like those for the language forums, but I doubt anyone is willing to read through the blogs every now and then to remove all the spammy posts. Also the rules for spam in the blogs have to be made clearer before anything like this can be done effectively.
If it means I won't have to be a Frihost Freak any longer I'm completely game to be a "blog moderator". Cool

An alternative suggestion, in conjunction with a "blog moderator" could be a reporting system for blog owners (separate from the general reporting system). If blog owners consider a posting to their blog a spam, they can report the "spam" and the "blog moderator" can then make a decision whether the "spam" should be removed or not.

Not so sure why rules have to be made clearer for spam in blogs, wouldn't the rules be the same as for postings in the forums?
Vrythramax
deanhills wrote:
If it means I won't have to be a Frihost Freak any longer I'm completely game to be a "blog moderator". Cool

Shocked

The first rule of Fight Club is NEVER to talk about Fight Club. Moderators are selected by Staff vote and INVITED to join the staff by the owner...never by public application. If you honestly don't like your current rank title we have options available...such as BANNED.

The rules pertaining to blogs and the contained posts are the same as for regular forum postings.
AftershockVibe
Heh. I'm amused.
I think the (hypothetical) official title should be "blogerator" anyway Wink
deanhills
AftershockVibe wrote:
Heh. I'm amused.
I think the (hypothetical) official title should be "blogerator" anyway Wink

Agreed. Laughing

Vrythramax wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Shocked

The first rule of Fight Club is NEVER to talk about Fight Club. Moderators are selected by Staff vote and INVITED to join the staff by the owner...never by public application. If you honestly don't like your current rank title we have options available...such as BANNED.

The rules pertaining to blogs and the contained posts are the same as for regular forum postings.
Since I value your opinion very much Max, I hope this response of yours is tongue in cheek. If you had followed all the discussions about Frihost Freak as well as the blog spam thread maybe you would have appreciated the irony and sense of humour about my comment. Bondings started a thread where he asked for alternative names to replace "Frihost Freak", appointing GhostRider to do the artwork. We are long past submitting alternative names, voting on the names, etc. etc. etc. things are at the implementation stage. Being critical of the rank (especially when people are in agreement that the name is not a good one and it is in the process of being replaced) is hardly a reason to be banned, especially given all the effort to change the name. But then hopefully your reference to being banned was a sense of humour one? Wasn't it? Shocked

With regard to the "Fight Club". I don't even know what it is, and since I'm not a club person (you should know that by now) probably would never ask to be a member of it either. I love posting at Frihost, and being a moderator would conflict with my enjoyment of posting. I can't imagine anyone asking me to be a moderator, but if they were to do that, I most likely would respond as Ocalhoun has and for the exact same reasons.
Vrythramax
@deanhills

The reference to "Fight Club" related to a movie of the same name (Fight Club@IMDB). The mention of being banned was of course a joke, and as for my following forum threads...everyone knows I do no such thing. I simply troll the forums and post on each and every thing that's catches my interest at the moment. Angel
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
@deanhills

The reference to "Fight Club" related to a movie of the same name (Fight Club@IMDB). The mention of being banned was of course a joke, and as for my following forum threads...everyone knows I do no such thing. I simply troll the forums and post on each and every thing that's catches my interest at the moment. Angel
Phew!!!! You can't believe how relieved I was when I read this. Maybe you need to do some more trolling to spice things up a bit, especially in the Politics, Religion and Philosophy Forums. I really miss Arnie, he was a champ at that and I found his cryptic and equalizing statements hilarious at times. Have not seen him around for quite a number of months.