FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Beatles Rockband

Starrfoxx
9/9/09.... The release of The Beatles Rockband and their remastered albums on CD. #9 has always been a predominant number in their history, and you can hear that number in certain songs.

I am interested in your reviews of The Beatles Rockband, and please state which system you play it on. It will be interesting to see how the game compares between the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii. I figure that the 360 and PS3 versions will be mostly identical, but I am really interested to see if they give good justice to the Wii version. I bought my Wii copy last night, but have not had chance to open it yet.

I would also be interested to read you reviews if you have bought the special edition box sets with the instruments. How does the quality compare to the regular Rockband 2 instruments? Also, Beatles RB adds the ability for up to 3 singers and I think 3 guitar players as well as drums. It would be interesting to see opinions on how they made all of that work.
eday2010
I've only ever played Guitar Hero III previously, for a short bit. So I cannot compare the guitar for The Beatles to the other toy guitars as far as functionality. For looks, these ones are awesome. I got the George Harrison one, and it looks really good.

The game itself is great. My first music game, so I am playing free mode on easy right now on the 360. They did a good job with it. Some of the character models could have been better. I don't think Ringo looks like Ringo; maybe more detail in the characters would have been good. Though I cannot really watch any of that while actually playing!

It would have also been nice id the dreamscape for "All You Need Is Love" was more like the video for the song than what they did. But otherwise, I am thrilled with the game. It helps that I love a lot of The Beatles songs Smile
crossroads
I am just wonder what is the difference between this version of guitar hero and any other versions of guitar hero? I have never really been into the whole thing to be honest but Ive played it at friends houses before and enjoyed it for the time I played. I was just wondering if there was something that makes this version much better to buy then others or if it is just to get a couple of extra Beatles music with it for free.
Starrfoxx
Keep in mind that the new Beatles game is from Rockband, not Guitar Hero. You can use GH instruments on Beatles Rockband, however. This is a standalone game with large selection of songs from The Beatles spanning their career. More music and albums will be released as DLC as the months progress.

The interesting news is that Guitar Hero 5 has out sold Beatles Rockband in the UK, and I believe in the U.S. also. I'm not sure if the "free" GH Van Halen offer with GH5 was the trigger, or if the current generation likes the music in GH5 better, or something else. I was rather surprised when I read about it.

I don't have any of the GH series. I would like to get the original GH and GH2, though for my PS2. Does anyone have a PS3 and know if these old GH games will work on the PS3 through compatibility?
LostOverThere
Typically, Guitar Hero games outsell Rock Band titles by a significant margin, and seeing Activison has really been pumping out the publicity for Guitar Hero 5, I can't say I'm surprised at all. That being said, I can imagine The Beatles Rock Band will have a much longer tail then Guitar Hero 5, seeing Guitar Hero titles are annual occurrences.
desonium
I gave one of my friends rockband 2 for his birthday
And of course we played it for while and I really enjoyed it.
So I am sure the beatles edition is good too Cool
btw I played it on an xbox 360
driftingfe3s
Starrfoxx wrote:
I would also be interested to read you reviews if you have bought the special edition box sets with the instruments. How does the quality compare to the regular Rockband 2 instruments? Also, Beatles RB adds the ability for up to 3 singers and I think 3 guitar players as well as drums. It would be interesting to see opinions on how they made all of that work.

I have the beatles rockband for the 360. Didn't get the set with the instruments, just the game itself and i'm using my rockband 2 instruments. You can connect up to 3 microphones with the help of a USB hub to plug in the extra ones. It's not 3 guitar players though as you thought, only 2 + drums and up to 3 mics.
Fire Boar
Yet another cash-in on the music gaming franchise. But it's a franchise that works pretty darn well: it's popular and the games are fun. It's just that whenever a game like this comes out... I tend to groan and say "not another one".

Just like the Brain Training-type games onslaught that recently plagued the DS.
David_Pardy
The biggest issue I have with all these music games is that they simplify music and remove the nuances which make a lot of songs special.
weableandbob
I've heard it's good but i've never really liked the beatles.....old music tends to bore me =/
slashnburn99
looks good i want it

just needs to drop down in price, now GH Van halen is due that might help
eday2010
David_Pardy wrote:
The biggest issue I have with all these music games is that they simplify music and remove the nuances which make a lot of songs special.

That is the whole point of these kinds of games: simplify it so lots of people can play. Otherwise there would be no point. And I am sure most people playing aren't concerned with songs being "special", or the nuances. They like the songs, they like video games, and now the two arecombined so that they can play both at the same time.
fullmetalalki
i'm just wondering what you mean by they are removing the nuances. I mean, it's not like you're actually playing a six string guitar or on a real drum set. The creators of the game have to work hard to recreate what they can for the plastic instruments that they have at their disposal.