FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs

menino
There is a version of XP out, for old legacy PC's :-

More info on http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/fundamentals.aspx

in a nutshell,
Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (WinFLP) is a Windows-based operating system designed for enterprise customers with legacy PCs who are not in a position to purchase new hardware. WinFLP provides the same security and manageability as Microsoft Windows XP SP2 while providing a smooth migration path to the latest hardware and operating system.

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (WinFLP) requires:

A minimum of 611 MB of free hard drive space. Actual requirements will vary based on your system configuration and the applications and features you choose to install. Installing all optional components requires 1151 MB of disk space. These requirements are reported on the screen as you select options in the Setup wizard. Additional hard disk space may be required if you are installing over a network. Also, you should reserve additional space for future updates and service packs.

A computer with 233 megahertz or higher processor clock speed (300 MHz is recommended); Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor is recommended.

64 MB of RAM. 256 MB of RAM is recommended.

Although this is for old machines, I used winlite to run xp on my Pentium 2, 256mb ram, and it runs fast. Laughing
Fire Boar
Quote:
You also ease the transition to the Windows Vista Enterprise operating system when you eventually replace your desktop PCs.

Yeah... I had a feeling Vista would come into it somewhere. Bit cheeky that: "When you change computers, you will be buying our latest operating system. Until then, why not pay us more money to slow up your hardware even more, instead of doing something sensible and using a different OS that would be lighter on resources?"

Whoopee. See signature.
coreymanshack
Fire Boar wrote:
Quote:
You also ease the transition to the Windows Vista Enterprise operating system when you eventually replace your desktop PCs.

Yeah... I had a feeling Vista would come into it somewhere. Bit cheeky that: "When you change computers, you will be buying our latest operating system. Until then, why not pay us more money to slow up your hardware even more, instead of doing something sensible and using a different OS that would be lighter on resources?"

Whoopee. See signature.

Linux, UBUNTU, because we don't build our OS around different hardware, it is likely that anything not on our "supported hardware list" isn't going to work.... 90% of hardware.
menino
I know Micro$oft has loads of quirks.
I love linux, and although not a full blown user of it, I tried installing linux on my old Pentium 2 pc and it crawled with the gui. Maybe there was further tweaking to be done, to speed it up.

But I used nlite with XP, and installed it on the p2 and it works as if its a p4, without all the heavy stuff (of course).

All I'm saying is that I'm a fan of technology rather than the brand. And I think in a way, all of us are. init?
ocalhoun
menino wrote:
I know Micro$oft has loads of quirks.
I love linux, and although not a full blown user of it, I tried installing linux on my old Pentium 2 pc and it crawled with the gui.

But which gui? There are some extremely light-weight ones available... KDE or Gnome will slow down older PC's, but a light one like Windowmaker or XFCE should run very fast on nearly any system. The beautiful part is that you can choose which one you want.