FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

boot looping

roweg
I don't know much about computers so please reply in 'layman' language.

I'm not yet online (using my work station at the moment). I've had an error message a couple of times when logging onto windows but didn't know what to do so ignored it Sad

The message said "application failed (oxcoooooo5)
Could not read 'ox77046bfo'
Referred memory @ ox77o46bo

Now on booting the computer says Prime Slave not detected (not sure if this is relevant).

When it gets to the windows welcome screen it goes blank then tells me 'no signal'.

Please help
Gabrielle
ocalhoun
roweg wrote:

I'm not yet online (using my work station at the moment). I've had an error message a couple of times when logging onto windows but didn't know what to do so ignored it Sad

Exactly what you should do. Windows spits out error messages all the time, and most of them mean nothing.
It might mean your windows is due for re-installation though. For best results, windows should be wiped off and re-installed at least once a year.
roweg wrote:

That sounds like faulty memory. Is this message always the same, or is it different each time?

You can test the memory using one of the programs listed on this page.
If those tests fail, then you need new RAM. If they pass, even when done repeatedly, you probably don't.
roweg wrote:

Now on booting the computer says Prime Slave not detected (not sure if this is relevant).

That's only important if it's new. If it has always said that, it's no big deal... if it just now started, then you have drive and/or motherboard issues. You haven't been inside the case messing around with anything, right?
roweg wrote:

When it gets to the windows welcome screen it goes blank then tells me 'no signal'.

Does it show the windows welcome screen at all? If it doesn't that could indicate graphics card/software issues.
hunnyhiteshseth
As I interpret is, your Hard-disk may be installed as slave to CD-ROM or you may be having two hard-disks with one as slave. And hence either your slave hard-disk is failing or your IDE cable has developed some defects.
AftershockVibe
What you are experiencing here is probably a "helpful" windows feature. Since no-one likes a BSOD (blue screen of death), Microsoft disabled showing it by default and just has the computer reset.

In a situation like yours this is really unhelpful because the information that the BSOD would display is never seen and it's hard to turn on the normal BSOD behavior.

You may be able to get into Safe Mode (Hit F8 as windows boots). This should then show a proper blue screen on failure, or you can turn BSODs back on by going to My Computer > (Right Click) > Properties > Advanced Systems Settings > Startup & Recovery > Settings > Uncheck "Automatic Restart".

This may give us some more information as to what the problem is. Of course, it may also be competely useless. Wink
jdelfire
-- Possible point of Failures:
-- As always we need to determine first whethere it is cause by a software or hardware issue

1. For Primary Slave not detected this is definitely a hardware issue since you are not in the windows part yet so please check the jumper settings of the drive also try removing other IDE devices such as an additional Harddrive or CD-rom. just leave your primary harddive and boot it to windows. if there is no error then definitely there is a conflict with the jumper or one of the drive is failing.

-- 2. (oxcoooooo5) possible memory or software error - first step is to at least get in to windows.
So how to get in? Boot in safemode...if you can't boot that's a hardware problem or full Operating System reinstall... if you can boot to safemode that means most of the hardware error will be taken out of the equation also 3rd party softwares and drivers will be disabled. Inside safemode open Event viewer (how to use event viewer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa189531(office.10).aspx ) sometimes it will give a straight answer whether its a software or hardware.

-- 3. Also try to uninstall your video adapter and then reinstall it... restart the PC check if you can get a signal(which is from your video adapter)
FunDa
roweg wrote:

Please help
Gabrielle

was it working fine earlier ?

It would be best to reinstall windows if u don't have any important data.

Primary slave not detected doesn't matter if it starts loading windows anyway. It just means u don't have an extra hard disk. Not at all relevant I think.

Since u cannot get into windows and it goes off before u reach it, reinstalling graphics driver would be impossible I think, so Better to reinstall windows and see it the problem goes off.