FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

W7 Ultimate worth it?

Arty
I heard that W7 Ultimate comes with a license for XP. Is this true? Does this mean that I can get XP with my W7 Ultimate?

Also, it lets you have a "virtual machine" for XP, for programs that only work on XP I guess. But is it possible to DUAL BOOT W7 with XP with the license? Or do I need to actually go out and BUY XP?
Donutey
From what I've read, there really aren't application compatibility problems with windows 7 so I doubt you'll need the capability unless you have a specific program that you know won't run on windows 7.

Also, in order to run in virtual xp mode, your cpu has to support virtualization which is *some* core 2 and *some* amd cpus. You'll have to check for your particular model.
Arty
Thanks, I think I'll go for the cheaper version of Windows 7 now.

Also, I'm trying to order a computer online soon. Since Windows 7 comes out later this month, how quickly will the computers online start to ship with Windows 7?
Diablosblizz
You can still buy retail Windows XP? I thought they phased it out? Anyways, I'd get Win 7 over XP. If the program is compatible with Windows Vista it's compatible with 7. Not much has changed if you compare the transition from XP to Vista, it's mainly the same just better.
Zaini711
After using Windows 7 for nearly a year (from Beta to RC), I can say that Microsoft does a pretty good job coming with a new operating system to quickly replace the troublesome and much hated vista. Even though the look does not differ much from vista but windows 7 does look more cleaner and well organise.

Under the hood, Windows 7 does make tremendous improvement over hated feature of vista. But I'm a bit concern on report of vulnerability in Windows 7 due to more relax control in UAC. Hopefully, the retail version will address this concern.

Hardware compatibility also look very promising. Windows 7 automatically recognize and configure all current printers in the market. Mobile broadband and Wi-max also work like a charm.

The question now is...... can I afford it........
ForceRun
I guess the main question is what version of Windows 7 to get, I would say that for 90% of users should get Home Premium. It has all the main features of the OS. Here is a great site for Microsoft OS information and has an easy to read version chart to help you out picking what version to buy: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp As far as getting Pro or Ult the two main features to decide on are Bitlocker and XP Mode which intergrates a virtual install of XP for old XP only business programs.
Fire Boar
Careful with Bitlocker - it sounds good, but if your computer later won't boot up, all your data will be permanently lost, and you can't recover it by means of, say, a live CD. Of course, that's kind-of the point of Bitlocker.
Diablosblizz
Fire Boar wrote:
Careful with Bitlocker - it sounds good, but if your computer later won't boot up, all your data will be permanently lost, and you can't recover it by means of, say, a live CD. Of course, that's kind-of the point of Bitlocker.

That is true, although I wonder if you boot up into another 7 machine and use the restore key would it work. I think that's worth a try, I mean there has to be something around the main drive failing.
misterXY
Diablosblizz wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

That is true, although I wonder if you boot up into another 7 machine and use the restore key would it work. I think that's worth a try, I mean there has to be something around the main drive failing.

Do you want too find out though?...