FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

COmputer software piracy

raaeft1
I live in India. Recently, I bought an assembled Personal Computer from a dealer. He told me that he had installed original licenced copies of Windows Vista and MS Office. He gave me the papers for Vista Ultimate but was making one excuse after another regarding handing over documents for the MS Office. I also took it casually as my MS Word was working fine and it was being updated online as well.

However, I was shocked recently when I received online message that my copy of MS Office was not genuine. And the dealer who sold the computer and software is just not coming online.

Then a friend suggested that I install Open Office which has similar functionalities with Office but is absolutely free and legal.

So I installed Open Office and I have decided to uninstall Office in the next couple of days.

Is'nt it better and safer to use software from the Open Domain if one cannot afford expensive software. At least one will not fall prey to unscrupulous computer dealers.
ocalhoun
raaeft1 wrote:

Is'nt it better and safer to use software from the Open Domain if one cannot afford expensive software.

It's better if you can afford it or not.
mattyj
There is that much free open source software available i dont know why people bother using pirated software....open office is better than MS Office in many ways too
missdixy
I have to agree - Open Office is much better. I use it even though my computer came with a legal copy of MS Office. I love Open Office because it's a great problem and, well, because oft he principle Very Happy
deanhills
mattyj wrote:
There is that much free open source software available i dont know why people bother using pirated software....open office is better than MS Office in many ways too
We sometimes don't know that we have pirated software on our computers when we buy the computers from vendors. This happened to me too. I bought a computer in 2001 with Windows XP on it. The last thing I thought to ask was whether the operating software was authentic, I thought that was bundled in with the computer as a total package. Then can you believe it, it took about 7 years for that MS message to come up and question my operating software. That is how I learned a lesson as well. It coincided with me thinking about getting a new computer, so with the new computer I made a specific request for receiving the disk and materials for Windows XP Pro.

Quite a number of really innocent people get caught this way. Thing is that the computer I purchased in 2001 was a generic one from a "computer boutique" where someone offered their "own brand" of putting it together from different parts. I understand now how that could have happened, but at the time I was totally unaware.
Fatality
I like to support the open-source community. I try to use open-source software where ever I can. A lot of it is better and more customizable anyway.
deanhills
Fatality wrote:
I like to support the open-source community. I try to use open-source software where ever I can. A lot of it is better and more customizable anyway.
I try to do that too, but the MS Office Suite still seems to endure. I do get software like Coffee Cup type ones periodically, that are low in cost. I like GIMP as well.
babarus
Open Office i a best software! i use Open Office.
ortphysics
Support open-source programs. They're usually better too, as the entire development process is public and the support is far better.
tony
Yeah; add one to the number of reasons why people should support open-source over closed-source/proprietary. Glad you found a good alternative to M$ Office; I use OpenOffice.org too (good stuff). Cheers!
HalfBloodPrince
I think you should use what you need to get what you need done. If you can get it done with open source software, hoorah. If you can't, buy it or go to the Bay Rolling Eyes

I don't need to buy/Bay anymore since I switched over to Linux dual booted with OS X Very Happy
jmlworld
I was using a computer with Windows XP SP2 and I thought it was genuine, but, like Deanhills, it took Microsoft for a while to discover that I was using pirated software. That time I had another new PC with legal copy of XP.

PC dealers are sometimes scum and its difficult to know which one is honest and which one is pirate.
airh3ad
Open source program is in demand today a lot of company making free software now try open Office.
Vrythramax
The office where I work utilizes Open Office extensivley and we (I) have found it at least as good as (if not better than) MS Office.
carlospro7
I use both OpenOffice and MS Office. I use OpenOffice because I like it, but I use MS Office because my environment uses MS Office, and while OpenOffice does support the .doc format, there are still some issues, specially with the .docx format. I agree though OpenOffice is great software
ocalhoun
carlospro7 wrote:
there are still some issues, specially with the .docx format.

I'm sure OpenOffice programmers are working feverishly to support the .docx format, as well as the other new Microsoft formats. They've built a reputation for supporting nearly all formats, and I doubt they're ready to give that up just because Microsoft gave them a new format to adapt to.
Arty
I personally don't see how it is "safer" to use free software rather than pirated software.

I think you would have gotten it a lot cheaper if you used an open source operating system like Ubuntu Linux rather than Windows. It would be the better choice since you can't afford expensive software.
ocalhoun
Arty wrote:
I personally don't see how it is "safer" to use free software rather than pirated software.

You don't have the danger of prosecution, fines, or jail time?
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
The office where I work utilizes Open Office extensivley and we (I) have found it at least as good as (if not better than) MS Office.
I am curious to know in which instance/s would find OpenOffice better than MS Office?
Helios
In my opinion MS Office is still a bit better than OpenOffice, but if more people will support OpenOffice and open software in general by just downloading and using it, I'm sure it will win.
Ubuntu is a good example. More and more people are starting to use this operating system.

deanhills, it's free, you get great support, it can do basically anything you'd like an office-type software to do. MS Office feels a bit more "developed" and sturdier, but that's about it.
I write a lot of report books and "datasheets" for work, and I usually use OpenOffice because usually I'm writing from home. I do use MS Office at work though.

Note: I am talking about the latest versions from both development groups of course.
microkosm
Quote:
However, I was shocked recently when I received online message that my copy of MS Office was not genuine. And the dealer who sold the computer and software is just not coming online.

Dealing in pirated software is common practice in places like India and southeast Asia where people are highly technically proficient but most can't afford the exhorbitant costs for software. Mind you I'm not condoning the practice but it is what it is. The economics of this kind of pirating is interesting. I think these guys procure all of their software without cost. They simply download it off of online forums, irc, torrent, rapidshare, ftp then burn them to cd-r for the "customer." I would think competition is tight though since it's so easy to reproduce this process.

Quote:

Pirated software is loaded with trojans, virii, keyloggers, etc. if one is not careful where one gets it from. Even then you never know which piece of software is communicating behind your back with a hidden process. It's been said a thousand times already but open-source means the source code is provided for anyone to examine. I personally don't inspect the source code of an open-source program, but I do take heart from the transparency.
Agent ME
Arty wrote:

As others have said, open source software means that the code is available for anyone to examine, and pirated software can easily have viruses attached. But also, with open-source software, there's no chance of getting busted for illegally pirating software Razz
vaoger
there are thing that i use "non-original" and there are some "original"
for me.. i think that the support for the software company are essintial...
but support from the game are not much a need...
welshsteve
It is better to use the free software available to you from credited resources than to use pirated software, as sooner or later it will catch up with you. You can get software that performs all the main tasks you'd normally use commercial software.

Software such as OpenOffice, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, all the various distributions of Linux if you want an entirely free operating system. The list is virtually endless.
Da Rossa
Buying pirate software is absolutely ridiculous. Not only you get worse things but you also give money to that kind of people. Pirates are a cancer. A nada people, particularly in Brazil, go after them because they want things "handy and ready". What a shame.

I find out my own solutions online when I need a particular program. I'd never, never go to the pirates' store to buy a CD they burnt @ 40x with no love at all.
[FuN]goku
Hm , it seems everyone here seems to like OpenOffice, which would apply for me as well Razz
I used to like MS Office 2000, But , pretty much any version after that, I never actually used (though, we use Office... err Whatever version it's at now, with all the eyecandy at school). But I find the latest version of office seems kinda bloated, plus I REALLY hate the layout of it with a passion. So OpenOffice suffices for me.
Roald
I have to admit that I like the office suite above the open office alternative, I know that Microsoft has some major-screwed-up products (Windows for example) but Word, powerpoint and excel are really excellent programs. But if you don't want or can buy them, open office stays an excellent alternative.
Although the latest version of office (2007) is indeed way too messy and ugly.
Hogwarts
Roald wrote:
Although the latest version of office (2007) is indeed way too messy and ugly.

I actually quite like it; that Microsoft has decided to test the waters and innovate in the area of menus. Whilst the conservative part of me screams against it, I'm absoloutely happy for such a company to take a step away from the conventional and conservative.

More on topic, here's an interesting article I dugg up when digging about -- http://fora.tv/2009/09/23/Free_Conomics_with_Chris_Anderson#Free_Now_Pay_Later_Microsoft_Turns_Piracy_into_Profit. Worth a look if you have a couple of minutes to spare.
harismushtaq
I wish if all software was free. The way open source is advancing, I hope a day will come soon when every thing will be free, even the PSP3 games.
biljap
I’ve tried both and I can’t agree that Open Office is as good as MS Office. It is good but it is just not the same…
If you can’t afford legal software so that you can be safe with updates and the software itself, then it is better to try to find some alternative that will help you do your work and it will be free (or at least cheaper).