FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Wisdom Tooth Problems





deanhills
I have a wisdom tooth that may have an infection of a kind. I probably will need surgery to remove it, but is there anyone who has had experience with infections of wisdom teeth, and can you remember the name of the antibiotics that were prescribed for you?
bsbteng
Have got terrible problems with my wisdom tooth for nearly two years. The first time was a week just before I came to the UK in Jan of 2005. Was told by dentist that its wise to take it out before i leave,but,there was no choice coz the time limitation.
Not very long aft i am here,it started again. The chinese medicine didnt work at all since they are not strong enough for dealing my situation. Forgot how it went down eventually.
But actually,it is a sign of battling! The tooth has kept coming again and again. Each time,my left face?became swollen and company with the pain. Someone was really scared when they saw my fat face;I can even hardly to think of how I could stand?of that.
With the help of Sally,went to the hospital this morning with a lot of hope and fear. But,its still not the end of the battle yet. Now,I even have a 'weapon' for the battle. Well...fine...if?i have to.
Think of some people have to face their illness,comparing with them,mine is tiny. Plus,i?know what is the end of it. I am much luckier!
jwellsy
Oh man, a toothache sucks! I have no idea about antibiotics. Mine were pulled many many many years ago. If your in pain doesn't that move you up in the que? You might try whole cloves, baby teething gel or a doctor might use topical cocaine for the pain till you can get into the dentist. Ill ask at another forum of people who practice a lot of wholistic ancient traditions.
deanhills
Mine is more of the chronic variety, it comes and goes and this has been the case for almost a year now. When I went to see a medical physician a day ago for a prescription, she suggested that it could be inflammation vs infection. Inflammation being less of a problem, infection being serious. The pain I have intermittently is of the "gnawing" variety. The pain from infection would send you right through the roof. I was quite relieved, as hopefully that can buy some time for me before I see an oral surgeon.
jwellsy
A couple of responses I've recieved so far are:
Quote:
I think Black Walnut may be something he could use, but I am not sure. He definately needs to fight the infection so it does not spread to the jawbone. That can cause systemic infection and serious problems. I am hoping to hear from some of the cadre here about Black Walnut!


and

Quote:
The red root from the Yarrow plant will kill the pain of a toothache, and is a global plant. There are many plants used to fight infection, too many to list here
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
A couple of responses I've recieved so far are:
Quote:
I think Black Walnut may be something he could use, but I am not sure. He definately needs to fight the infection so it does not spread to the jawbone. That can cause systemic infection and serious problems. I am hoping to hear from some of the cadre here about Black Walnut!
and
Quote:
The red root from the Yarrow plant will kill the pain of a toothache, and is a global plant. There are many plants used to fight infection, too many to list here

Thanks. I will look for those herbs when I get to a health store again. I'm currently using Cataflam, an anti-inflammatory, and for now the "gnawing" has gone. Good part is that I got a good recommendation for an oral and jaw specialist, so will follow up on this later in the year when I have an opportunity to take some leave. Smile
Bikerman
Quote:
I think Black Walnut may be something he could use, but I am not sure. He definately needs to fight the infection so it does not spread to the jawbone. That can cause systemic infection and serious problems. I am hoping to hear from some of the cadre here about Black Walnut!

Sheez. Quackery coupled with uncertainty - a very dangerous mix.
Quote:
Walnuts are considered to be a Herb in Traditional Chinese Medicine. They are said to tonify kidneys, strengthen the back and knees, warm and hold Qi in lungs and help kidneys to grasp the Qi, moisten the intestines and move stool. It is believed to stop asthma and is prescribed to be taken between bouts of asthma, but not for acute asthma. It is also used by the elderly to relieve constipation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut#Traditional_Chinese_Medicinal_Use

Now, why that should help with an infection defeats me - even if you believe in this stuff.

As for the Yarrow plant - yes, the root contains chemical compounds with various properties. It is an astringent and may well help in fighting an infection. It won't be nearly as effective as a modern antibiotic, of course, but if you want to chew Yarrow root and take your chances then go ahead.

The sensible and obvious thing to do is to kill the infection with an antibiotic (your doctor can no doubt recommend an appropriate one). If the problem is recurring then it will almost certainly require dental surgery.
It really isn't rocket-science and it doesn't require quack medicine.
imera
I had an infection, went to the dentist and got it cleaned out and everything became better. After a while I got it back, cleaned it then to and it became better. I have an appointment t pull it, but I haven't had any problems for a while so I'm thinking about waiting to pull it.
Klaw 2
I'll just tell what I Know my jaw is basically too small i already had 4 teeth removed. Then it turned out from xrays that the bottom left one was turned on its side about 90 degrees; l l l l _


So it had to be removed. I had surgery they "stunned" (what's the word?) only my jaw so II was awake and everything. It wan't too bad the only down thing were the cracking noises. After that u get stitches and hopefully some Ibuprofen or something like that.
deanhills
Klaw 2 wrote:
I'll just tell what I Know my jaw is basically too small i already had 4 teeth removed. Then it turned out from xrays that the bottom left one was turned on its side about 90 degrees; l l l l _


So it had to be removed. I had surgery they "stunned" (what's the word?) only my jaw so II was awake and everything. It wan't too bad the only down thing were the cracking noises. After that u get stitches and hopefully some Ibuprofen or something like that.
Thanks for the heads-up, think I will ask for ear plugs if I should get to that situation. Smile It must have been quite gross to hear those noices. The "stunned" is probably local anaesthetic, or freezing. How long did it take for you to recover?
jwellsy
That's what happened to me too. I had a wisdom tooth growing horizontal. I didn't want get into it and freek you out. I think there were three shots, one topical then two deep ones. fter about 20 minutes he split the top of the gum to expose the side of the tooth. Next he took a drill and drilled several holes through the tooth in a "+" pattern and used a chisel and hammer to break the tooth into 4 peices. Extracting the individual pieces was easy after that. 3 disolving stitches and it was over. They gave me some opiate based downers and a 2 day best rest chit. They were concerned about deveoping what they called a dry socket. I'm still not real sure what that meant. I only took one of the pain pills and didn't like that downer feeling. The recovery didn't take very long, just had to be careful to not stress the stitches for a week.
Bikerman
So you didn't use Black Walnut or Yarrow Root then?
Hmm...
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
That's what happened to me too. I had a wisdom tooth growing horizontal. I didn't want get into it and freek you out. I think there were three shots, one topical then two deep ones. fter about 20 minutes he split the top of the gum to expose the side of the tooth. Next he took a drill and drilled several holes through the tooth in a "+" pattern and used a chisel and hammer to break the tooth into 4 peices. Extracting the individual pieces was easy after that. 3 disolving stitches and it was over. They gave me some opiate based downers and a 2 day best rest chit. They were concerned about deveoping what they called a dry socket. I'm still not real sure what that meant. I only took one of the pain pills and didn't like that downer feeling. The recovery didn't take very long, just had to be careful to not stress the stitches for a week.
You're right, it sounds very gross. Looks as though you were fully conscious through all of it too. Almost like those torture movies. Smile The oral surgeon I saw wants to do my surgery in a hospital as he wants to do it in an operating threatre, so the good part is I will be lights out with aneasthetic. Fortunately the chronic pain is "in remission" right now so I have time to get a second opinion later in the year, as well as quote for cost. Having it done in a hospital will be very costly and since the tooth is surrounded by nerves it will apparently be complicated surgery.
Bikerman
Quote:
Having it done in a hospital will be very costly and since the tooth is surrounded by nerves it will apparently be complicated surgery.
Ahh, well if you lived in the UK you would get it done for free Smile
I try never to scoff at another person's problems, but I have to say that the irony here is pretty funny.
rajeeb
WOW...........................
I just couldn't eat on my date. It was the worst experience. Just had to pay the bill without eating anything.
sthwtproject
seriously man it hurts a lot
iv had two of mine removed
costed a lot and the pain never went away for a week
Klaw 2
deanhills wrote:
Klaw 2 wrote:
I'll just tell what I Know my jaw is basically too small i already had 4 teeth removed. Then it turned out from xrays that the bottom left one was turned on its side about 90 degrees; l l l l _


So it had to be removed. I had surgery they "stunned" (what's the word?) only my jaw so II was awake and everything. It wan't too bad the only down thing were the cracking noises. After that u get stitches and hopefully some Ibuprofen or something like that.
Thanks for the heads-up, think I will ask for ear plugs if I should get to that situation. Smile It must have been quite gross to hear those noices. The "stunned" is probably local anaesthetic, or freezing. How long did it take for you to recover?


Doesn't help the noises are "inside of your head" you will hear them anyway, cancels out the noise from a drill though. Don't know how long I took ibuprofen for a coule of days after that it didn't really hurt, just make sure no found gets on top of the stitches when chewing. OUCH!
deanhills
Klaw 2 wrote:
Doesn't help the noises are "inside of your head" you will hear them anyway, cancels out the noise from a drill though. Don't know how long I took ibuprofen for a coule of days after that it didn't really hurt, just make sure no found gets on top of the stitches when chewing. OUCH!
I've been told by the oral surgeon that it will have to be an operation under anaesthetic and in an operating theatre. The root of the wisdom tooth is deep in my jaw and surrounded by nerves, which would make it too complicated for a local. I'm still miles away from that however, but have made my peace that that may well have to happen during the next year. Thanks for the heads-up with food on stitches. I was thinking of a fast, or taking food through a straw only. The oral surgeon I saw suggested that with the way that he does his painkillers, I need not feel any pain at all. I was wondering about that statement though, as I have always thought that pain is pretty relative, and what is pain to me, may be painless to him. Think I will opt for an operation outside the Middle East however. Unless it deteriorates in a way that makes it into an emergency.
Related topics
Facing Many Problems
New forum area (computer problems)
Chinese Gov't: Smoking is great for Health
FOR WAR OR NOT
Problems With Index Page
FTP problems --> Use Filezilla and/or active mode
problems
What are the chances...
Referring to "The Truth"
Wisdom, well..... what is it?
Is this your lucky day ?
wisdom tooth
Do you have wisdom tooth?
Bye-bye, wisdom teeth.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.