FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Java, python, or c++?

which one is the best for ....
java
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
python
48%
 48%  [ 24 ]
c++
34%
 34%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 49

morfeusman
Which language has support for directX/opengl?
and which language is better for 2D rendering?
thanks
metalfreek
I don't know about 2D rendering but I find Python easier to code. And I think blender also uses python for 3D animation so it should support 2D rendering.
Peterssidan
I think you can use OpenGL with all of these three languages.
About the 2D rendering: Performance depends on what libraries you use. If it's easy to use depends on the library and also on the language so use the language you feel more comfortable with.
morfeusman
Thanks, i'll go with python
rajpk
i think you can use c++
you have to instal a GLUT to c++
after that you can program in openGl
openGL is very very good for graphics
i have used it for some basic purpose
but i think it is much powerful
from my point of view you should try openGL

i dont have use python
and about java not good for graphics
it is all from my point of view
others may have different view about that Very Happy
Buba_vv
python has powerful pygame mode. It is documented very well, so you can write your variant of Wolfenstein3D in small time
DeltaM
Depends on but if u wanna continue doing heavier stuff after I'd go with c++ since it's widely used and a very powerfull language.
Flarkis
It all depends on the use and any prior programming experience. If you are new to programming for for python. As others have said it is a fairly easy language to code in. If you have some experience though and are planing on doing some more complicated things i could suggest C++, as it is a very powerful language. Java is just brutal when it comes to 2D animation from my experience.
Xanify
Python's the easiest to code in but runs the slowest because it's an interpreted language, so if you're doing heavy speed/optimisation stuff I'd go with C++. I've never tried coding graphics in Java, but it's not too difficult in C++, and if Java is as brutal as they say...

But yeah, if you're teaching yourself programming as well, go with Python.
milleja46
Personally c++ is the best for this type of thing, but you can also use java. But as many have said, "C++ is the industry standard for game making."
fladry
I think c++ is the best programming language for this kind of job. Games made in c++ are very fast and small(with minor optimizations). I personally don't use python because i have to give away the whole 2+ MB python DLL and other libraries when i have to distribute my 1 day game! Confused
leontius
I would recommend python for 2D. http://leapon.net/en/making-games-with-python-which-library-to-use-pygame-or-pyglet
gverutes
I am responsible for improving the usability of a Python model (which manipulates rasters in GIS), and in particular 1) error trapping and 2) providing users with key system and descriptive statistics to improve model performance.

Do you know any good print or online resources for Python that I could refer to on these subjects? I did a few web searches, but wasn't able to come up with much.
milleja46
For anyone wondering try java then c++ syntax is the same but java is easier from what i have heard.
erlendhg
I currently prefer C++ out of those three on general basis, but it depends.
Many people find C++ a bit too low level for their tasks. It is more flexible and faster, but requires more time spent by the user on memory management and such.

Python is a more high level programming language, and thus not as flexible and as fast as C++, but it might be better for a problem-oriented kind of programming (instead of memory-oriented), if you see what I mean.

I would suggest that you read the paragraph about programming, under the document "How to Become A Hacker" (let me already now point out that it is about hackers, not crackers - criminal hackers, as this is a common misunderstanding), a part of the jargon file: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills1

It sums up what I have tried to explain in a better way.
milleja46
The only hard part is finding the perfect ide!
Radar
The other aspect is that writing Python code tends to be much faster than C++ or Java, because you are writing higher-level code, and so aren't concerned quite so much with individual operations.
phaedrusalt
Just my $0.02 worth, but Python is the most fun you can have while coding. I've done a lot of other languages but Python makes solving problems and creating solutions FUN!
milleja46
phaedrusalt wrote:
Just my $0.02 worth, but Python is the most fun you can have while coding. I've done a lot of other languages but Python makes solving problems and creating solutions FUN!

Not sure i quite get what you mean, how does it make it fun?
ankur209
I haen't gone through Python and C++ .Java is good one as far as i know...!! Embarassed
gcca
It depends on what your goals are. In terms of your resume, Java certainly has a much larger market than Python. In terms of your personal "knowledge portfolio", Python offers a greater potential for growth than Java does.

As many people have pointed out already, Java is very similar to C++ syntactically and has a better library. Python makes it very easy to just Get Things Done. Yes there is a performance penalty for interpreted languages, but often this is of little to no consequence for a project. CPU time is much cheaper than developer time. Without digressing into a comparative languages discussion, I wouldn't worry about the performance too much. Use your head and pick the right tool for the job.

I believe you can write your applications "faster" in Python than you can in Java - the language is certainly more terse. Python is a better choice for rapid prototype in my opinion. Also, you can use Eclipse w/ Python as a first class language (with things like PyDev) and do unit testing (with things like PyUnit).

As a slight aside, if you are considering Java, I would highly suggest you seriously consider C# instead. C# has broad market applicability (similar to Java), "evolutionary" rather than revolutionary syntax from C++ (like Java), is a newer and in many ways, better language than Java (from a purely language perspective). Quite frankly, I find C# a much more enjoyable language than Java, as do many others. In terms of the goals you have laid out however, the Python vs C# decision has all the same points as the Python vs Java decision.
noob1001
gcca wrote:
Also, you can use Eclipse w/ Python as a first class language (with things like PyDev) and do unit testing (with things like PyUnit).

Try Aptana, its Eclipse with PyDev included. No need for package installs etc.
http://www.aptana.com/products/studio3
chicanh
morfeusman wrote:

thanks

Opengl: ASM, C/C++, Java, C#,Python, Pascal, Prel, Ruby....
DirectX: C/C++ on windows,

morfeusman wrote:

thanks
thanks

C/C++ is best for 2D and 3D game.
clubdeinovaristi
Python has bindings for 2D and 3D rendering and it is also MUCH more readable than C++ and Java.
However, you can combine the power of C and the syntax of Python using Cython.
Unfortunately, Python is not a perfect solution for closed-source software.
jurl
Python! =]]
jcreus
morfeusman wrote:
thanks

What about trying Javascript in-browser via WebGL? It's an emerging technology which seems it'll have a lot of future, and many libraries have already been developed such as Three.js and GLGE. For 2D rendering, you have the canvas 2D context. You can find Javascript useful for its wide compatibality, but maybe it's not as powerful as native alternatives.
Tuvitor
I would say C++ if you're really serious about game design.
shazhouke
I really love python. But for the poll, it depends on what kind of program you are working with.
Python is simple and clear, but poor in performance comparing with the other 2. C++ runs super fast, but it's hard to learn, and easy to create bugs. It's also not wise choice for cross platform situations.
pidd
like python ^^
ax0692
Python is really easy to pick up and understand, but if you're creating a resource-heavy app/game, C++ is probably your best bet.
johans
Java is the best now a days but before back in 200 i think it was C++
aayushsrivastava14
Currently I am coding in Python. So.. python for me!
Remote_desktop_app
morfeusman wrote:
thanks

It depending on the purpose that you are using the language. there are hundreds of programming languages in the world which are capable for various arias. So its better to decouple you from the programming language Razz .

Think that you need to create an application that needs a nice ui so it is better to use JAVA C++ or WPF(C#) for the work rather than python or ruby. But when we consider about the scientific programming its is totally different form the previous scenarios.

there is one unique truth. there are a style that each and every language is following. languages such as C# JAVA are following OOP style and have minimum differences at the top level. Python PHP doing same ... so it is better to concentrate on that style. then you can simply shift the language according to the purpose with minimum effort.

if you are working with OpenGL and OpenCV its better to use C++ because both of these libraries are fully compatible with C++. Of case you can use python and C# library for the work but i don't recommend it
BruceChastain
I started with C, then went to python, that worked for me.