FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Silent power supply for computer?

LimpFish
I'm gonna build my own midi tower computer... buying parts and putting them together myself. One important thing for me is that my computer is quiet, or well, at least more quiet than average I guess... Do you people know what power supply units are quiet ones and dont make too much noise? I think I found a midi tower that is really silent and dont want it wrecked by a power supply unit that sounds like a jet engine Rolling Eyes
Auctus
All I can find is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104035 but I remember that either thermaltake or antec had one that was covered in heat fins and was really quiet, and it was only about 90 bucks vs the over 100 for that one.

Then again, there's always liquid cooling with a low-noise pump.
ocalhoun
Auctus wrote:
All I can find is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104035 but I remember that either thermaltake or antec had one that was covered in heat fins and was really quiet, and it was only about 90 bucks vs the over 100 for that one.

2nded. That looks like a good choice for a quiet PSU... You'll always pay more for quiet components.

Another option that suited me well, and is cheaper and easier is to just get extension cables for all your connections, and locate the computer away from the monitor, keyboard, and mouse -- behind some noise barriers.
All you really need for that is a long audio cable, VGA extender cable, long USB cable, and USB hub.
That's how I got my $90 'silent' computer, anyway...
LimpFish
That looks like a sweet one... only problem is I think I need one with at least 500W..

And yea, moving the computer away has crossed my mind too, but in my dorm room there isn't really any space to hide it : )
william
Here is another one you can try out. Not fanless, but very quiet. Although, based on some of the reviews, longetivity may not be its strong point. But most high quality PSUs running a 120 mm fan are generally quiet, all depends on how quiet you want to go. I have an FSP Power Supply, 500 watts, and I can't hear it at all with it's 120 mm fan (albeit my CPU cooler is loud).
weableandbob
The PSU that came with my antec sonata II is pretty near silent, although that may just be the case doing its job.
LimpFish
does the sonata have some of that sound-insulating foam stuff on the inside?