FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

secure email (SSL)

sigT
Is it possible to use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail by POP3 and sending mail by SMTP on Server 4? Are there any problems with allowing this feature on the server?

Actually I cannot determine any possibilities because the information I got from account registration does not specify even POP3 or SMTP ports. Forum search is not working yet again. It seems as though plain text works fine. Smile I'd like to know if it's possible to have some security as well.
cr3ativ3
I am almost 100% certain that SSL is not supported on the Frihost servers, that means no FTPS, HTTPS, or Secure Mail.

The server(s) have OpenSSL installed, however it is not setup to work with specific user's accounts. If your site needs SSL support, perhaps you should look at a paid shared host.

Frihost does not have Shared SSL, however select paid hosts do have this service and you would connect to your site using https://(server_ip)/~username/path/to/page, if you want private SSL on a paid host you have to buy a Certificate which is usually ~$10-$100, as well as a dedicated IP address from your shared host which is usually around $2/month. I do believe namecheap offers PositiveSSL which is a free private certificate with any new domain registrations.

Good Luck, which ever option you choose.
mikelll
yep...no ssl on Frihost! Sorry Sad