FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shanghai

LimpFish
Hey everyone!

I'm going to Shanghai between Dec 19 and Jan 19, and I'd like to know what I shouldnt miss Smile I'm planning to also visit Beijing and anything else worth seeing within pretty reasonable distance..

Please help me out here Smile I'm not sure if there are any chinese people on these forums, you never know what the party in China thinks of this site, it might be blocked Razz
johnny1126
i'm a chinese,you can see some Olympic Construction, the great wall ,tianmen,Forbidden City at beijing.

also some where in shanghai .

great food

cheap goods................
LimpFish
thank you for the tips!

where is the best place to find cheap stuff? any good markets with low price?
gj1012
In ShangHai, there are many famous Food Court such as YunNan Road,HuangHe Road,ZaPu Road,XiaXian Road. You can get much food with Chinese characteristics.
Shanghai World Expo will hold next year, It's very necessary to visit here for you.
In addition,there are many interesting things. I can not enumerate all of these. Once you come here,you would be reluctant to leave.
silverdown
Watch out for Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson at noon..... Laughing

Ok it's a joke due to the fact i seen the movie Shanghai noon Laughing
LimpFish
gj1012 wrote:
In ShangHai, there are many famous Food Court such as YunNan Road,HuangHe Road,ZaPu Road,XiaXian Road. You can get much food with Chinese characteristics.
Shanghai World Expo will hold next year, It's very necessary to visit here for you.
In addition,there are many interesting things. I can not enumerate all of these. Once you come here,you would be reluctant to leave.

This sure sounds good! What do you think is a good genuine chinese food that foreigners would like? Razz I've heard chinese people eat many things that I really do not want to try, but I'm sure there are many things that i would like to try too Smile
kelebek
very good country ý have been singapoore like this
Cliffer
i'm from china,welcome you to china!how long will you plan to stay in china? many places worth visiting,but take much time.
LimpFish
Cliffer wrote:
i'm from china,welcome you to china!how long will you plan to stay in china? many places worth visiting,but take much time.

Thank you! Smile I'm gonna stay for one month, I'm gonna be in Shanghai mainly because my girlfriend lives there, but also planning on going to Beijing. Any suggestions on where more to go? We are thinking about Suzhou and/or Hangzhou.
guth75
that so cool that you are visiting Asia, I love the culture so much, but I like Japan a bit more, don't know why. Very Happy Have fun.
LimpFish
guth75 wrote:
that so cool that you are visiting Asia, I love the culture so much, but I like Japan a bit more, don't know why. Very Happy Have fun.

I've been to Japan too once, it was really nice, but veeery expensive! I think China is gonna be veeery cheap instead. And for me being a student, the price level is pretty important. I'm gonna be able to stay at nice hotels and eat nice even though I have no money at all almost Very Happy
akaichen
i think you should visit Asian, this is a beautifull places
LimpFish
Yea I like Asia! I have only been to Indonesia, Malaysia and Japan before, so I am stoked to see China aswell!
bmcbryan
LimpFish wrote:
Hey everyone!

I'm going to Shanghai between Dec 19 and Jan 19, and I'd like to know what I shouldnt miss Smile I'm planning to also visit Beijing and anything else worth seeing within pretty reasonable distance..

Please help me out here Smile I'm not sure if there are any chinese people on these forums, you never know what the party in China thinks of this site, it might be blocked Razz

Visted Shanghai last year. It wasn't my favourite place in China - maybe because it was last place on the trip - however, it's still well worth visiting.

I would recommend keeping away from the main tourist areas, which are full of Western Brand name shops and where you get pestered by street traders trying to sell watches and other junk. If you go to the streets where the Chinese shop and eat you will never get pestered and you will get a much more genuine feel for the City. The Chinese are wonderfully friendly people, and you can feel safe walking anywhere in the city.

Other things worth seeing - the Magnetic Levitation railway to the airport is amazing - it travels at around 300km/hour levitated above the rails on a magnetic cushion - no wheels. If you are flying in or out of Shanghai, try to use it to the airport instead of a car. It is the only railway of this kind in the World.

Enjoy your trip
LimpFish
bmcbryan wrote:
LimpFish wrote:
Hey everyone!

Visted Shanghai last year. It wasn't my favourite place in China - maybe because it was last place on the trip - however, it's still well worth visiting.

I would recommend keeping away from the main tourist areas, which are full of Western Brand name shops and where you get pestered by street traders trying to sell watches and other junk. If you go to the streets where the Chinese shop and eat you will never get pestered and you will get a much more genuine feel for the City. The Chinese are wonderfully friendly people, and you can feel safe walking anywhere in the city.

Other things worth seeing - the Magnetic Levitation railway to the airport is amazing - it travels at around 300km/hour levitated above the rails on a magnetic cushion - no wheels. If you are flying in or out of Shanghai, try to use it to the airport instead of a car. It is the only railway of this kind in the World.

Enjoy your trip

Thanks for the input! Did you go up into the Shanghai World Financial Centre? I'm planning to do that, supposed to be the highest observation deck in the entire world! Very Happy
Cliffer
LimpFish wrote:
Cliffer wrote:

Thank you! Smile I'm gonna stay for one month, I'm gonna be in Shanghai mainly because my girlfriend lives there, but also planning on going to Beijing. Any suggestions on where more to go? We are thinking about Suzhou and/or Hangzhou.

oh,your girlfriend is with you in china,that's very good,you needn't go with travel agency group.and one month is good too,you can go to shanghai,hangzhou,suzhou,and beijing,qingdao,dalian. if have more time,you may also go to westen china,xi'an, or northeasten china,such as shenyang and harbin---the better season is autum. now in winter is too cold there,and not beautiful. please,dalian is also in northeast,but it's in peninsula,sea city,good view in summer days.
zuifengwu
In China there is a saying that 'Xian has witnessed 2,000 of history, Beijing has witnessed 1,000 years of history while Shanghai bears witness to the last 100 years.' For anyone who is interested in the history of modern China, Shanghai serves as an ideal starting point. Regarded as the 'Oriental Pearl', the city has a unique and important place in modern China and its rich heritage is worthy of exploration.

Hundreds of thousands of tourists from all over the world throng to Shanghai to see for themselves its great economic impulse, distinctive attractions and to savor its blend of Eastern and Western cultures. In the eyes of westerners, Shanghai has special oriental charm; while in the eyes of Chinese, Shanghai has a fresh western style. The old say that Shanghai is modern and fashionable, while the young say that Shanghai is old and reminiscent. Wherever you come from and whoever you are, you will find Shanghai an ideal tour destination.
Shanghai has many attractions in the downtown area, including Huangpu River, the Bund, Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Jinmao Tower, Shanghai Museum, Yuyuan Garden, Xin Tian Di and the special old streets and lanes. Besides, there are places well worth a visit in the suburbs such as Qibao Ancient Town, Zhujajiao Water Town and Chongming Island for in addition to its modern facets, the city has a wealth of more ancient Chinese traditions. Dining will be one of the most enjoyable aspects of your Shanghai trip. In addition to Shanghai dishes, restaurants in the city offer a wide variety of foods from other parts of China as well as a number of foreign countries.
Shanghai is a shopper’s paradise. There are various bustling commercial streets and shopping centers waiting for you. These include Nanjing Road, Huaihai Road, North Sichuan Road, Xujiahui Shopping Center, Yuyuan Shopping City and Jiali Sleepless City.
LimpFish
Thanks a lot for the input everyone! Unfortunately my girlfriend has become very ill and had to be transported with a doctor back home to Sweden after being in a Shanghai hospital for 10 days Sad She is alright now though, but my trip to China will not happen this christmas break unfortunately.. But what matters most is that she is ok and doing better...
adforeign
Yesterday's Shanghai
Shanghai, Hu for short, is situated on the estuary of Yangtze River, a position that led to frequently unwelcome intervention from foreigners seeking to impose their exports on the Empire during the nineteenth century. However, in the 1920s and the 1930s, Shanghai became an important international trade center. With its advantaged natural conditions, rapid development and splendid oriental culture, Shanghai was famed as the ‘Oriental Paris’ and attracted many entrepreneurs and established businesses. In addition, many foreign scientists, literary figures and artists chose to live, give lectures or just experience the Chinese charm in Shanghai. They included Albert Einstein, Bertrand Russell, Bernard Shaw and the poet RabindranathTagore, to name but a few. However, by the middle of the 20th century, the glory of the city was in decline.
LimpFish
adforeign wrote:
Yesterday's Shanghai
Shanghai, Hu for short, is situated on the estuary of Yangtze River, a position that led to frequently unwelcome intervention from foreigners seeking to impose their exports on the Empire during the nineteenth century. However, in the 1920s and the 1930s, Shanghai became an important international trade center. With its advantaged natural conditions, rapid development and splendid oriental culture, Shanghai was famed as the ‘Oriental Paris’ and attracted many entrepreneurs and established businesses. In addition, many foreign scientists, literary figures and artists chose to live, give lectures or just experience the Chinese charm in Shanghai. They included Albert Einstein, Bertrand Russell, Bernard Shaw and the poet RabindranathTagore, to name but a few. However, by the middle of the 20th century, the glory of the city was in decline.

Thanks for the info Smile it might come to use if I ever get a second shot of going to Shanghai Smile
paul_indo
I am going to Shanghai in January or February for a business trip.

Where is the best area for restaurants and bars?

I hope to do a lot of eating and relaxing in the evenings while I am there.
LimpFish
I've heard the Shanghai World Financial Centre is supposed to have the highest located bar in the world, Cloud 9 or something like that?
mikeperhem1
where is best place for shopping in china