FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Disney bought Marvel Comics! Nooooooooooo!

furtasacra
This is bad. This is not just bad,

NOTHING GOOD CAN POSSIBLY COME OF THIS.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS126500+31-Aug-2009+BW20090831

It was announced today that Disney shelled out $4 billion for Marvel Entertainment, Inc. This is horrible, just horrible. Disney turned Victor Hugo's classic tragedy, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, into a musical cutefest. I'm sure they'll have even less respect for the Marvel Universe.

I've got this horrible mental image of Wolverine in a pink outfit, skipping down a flowery lane singing Zippety Doo Dah with a horde of giggling, anthropomorphic animals. (Shudder.)

Favorite Defamer comment: "I can't wait to wear my Spiderman purity ring" (Shudder shudder shudder)

ON A RELATED NOTE

Disney World is a hellish vortex of death. The U.S. Department of Labor is launching an investigation because THREE Disney World employees have died on the job since the beginning of July.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125064214537741833.html
ato784
I agree nothing good can come from this. the only way to save this is if they leave the company alone and just own it.
amperx
ohhh the horror when wolverine suddenly burst into song~~~~~
microkosm
Quote:
I've got this horrible mental image of Wolverine in a pink outfit, skipping down a flowery lane singing Zippety Doo Dah with a horde of giggling, anthropomorphic animals. (Shudder.)

Have you seen Spiderman 3? I thought that "movie" WAS produced by Disney or some similar outfit.
At one point Toby Maguire was dancing to some Kenny-G inspired jazz segment surrounded by a pair of anthropomorphic animals (lame excuse of a Venom and a miscast sandman).

Ok judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ9r8dE7_iY&feature=related

Allright, so I'm exaggerating, but compare that to how Disney handles Miyazaki anime flicks. Pretty good English dubbing and production values. If Marvel gets to stay somewhat autonomous this may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Then again..
QrafTee
microkosm wrote:
Quote:

Have you seen Spiderman 3? I thought that "movie" WAS produced by Disney or some similar outfit.
At one point Toby Maguire was dancing to some Kenny-G inspired jazz segment surrounded by a pair of anthropomorphic animals (lame excuse of a Venom and a miscast sandman).

Ok judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ9r8dE7_iY&feature=related

Allright, so I'm exaggerating, but compare that to how Disney handles Miyazaki anime flicks. Pretty good English dubbing and production values. If Marvel gets to stay somewhat autonomous this may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Then again..

Dude... I wouldn't mind something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWTad94mre8&feature=related
microkosm
Quote:
Cry!!!!!!!!!! for the moon!

WTF??!! That bears a striking resemblance to the American animated version from the early 90's. Good times. I think the animators are the same. I have to say I like the American intro better though.
QrafTee
microkosm wrote:
Quote:
Cry!!!!!!!!!! for the moon!

WTF??!! That bears a striking resemblance to the American animated version from the early 90's. Good times. I think the animators are the same. I have to say I like the American intro better though.

That's because it is the American version, but only the intro changed. I like this a lot better than the American intro.
Magicman
One thing that Disney better not touch is Universal's rights to Marvel Characters for their parks. The Spider-man ride in Universal Islands of Adventure is definitely one of the best rides that has every been made. The Hulk, in the same park, is also a great ride.
I really couldn't see Disney taking Marvel characters in the right direction when it comes to rides because Disney rides seem to be mostly designed for younger riders (not all of them, but most).
DGreatPronKing
amperx wrote:
ohhh the horror when wolverine suddenly burst into song~~~~~

Lol I'd love to see that!! hohoho
blk3
Disney buying Marvel doesn't necessarily mean that Marvel will lose the right on how their characters are portrayed maybe disney will do just the financial backing and support while Marvel still has all their creative freedom on how their characters will be. Maybe its not such a bad thing as everyone thought.
driftingfe3s
blk3 wrote:
Disney buying Marvel doesn't necessarily mean that Marvel will lose the right on how their characters are portrayed maybe disney will do just the financial backing and support while Marvel still has all their creative freedom on how their characters will be. Maybe its not such a bad thing as everyone thought.

I agree, it doesn't mean they are going to change all the characters and make them talk forest animals and make them all sing. Disney owns alot of stuff, for example ESPN, miramax films, Touchstone Pictures, and they not filled with kiddy stuff. It's all about money, and they are not gong to do something that would destroy the current Marvel fan base.
dude_xyx
I don't think Disney would try to change anything or combine things with their products.
QrafTee
dude_xyx wrote:
I don't think Disney would try to change anything or combine things with their products.
I never thought I'd see X-men meet Street Fighter and I never though the Disney cast would intertwine with the Final Fantasy universe.
hamza1122
Marvel should stay as it is!! Xmen princessess! AHAHA
ato784
[quote="microkosm"]
Quote:

Then again..

Disney did NOT handle ghibli films the way they should have. they added means and values to all of the stories. most notably to spirited away in which they add a line to the end of the film making the girl seem grown up. disney can not leave anything alone and have to tweak everything.
blk3
Anyone seen an episode of the Super Heroes Squad,maybe this us the result of that. Babyfied Marvel Super Heroes.
QrafTee
blk3 wrote:
Anyone seen an episode of the Super Heroes Squad,maybe this us the result of that. Babyfied Marvel Super Heroes.
Dude, that crap is horrible. Chibi Marvel super heroes... who sound like the Baby Looney Tunes gang. That's just wrong.