FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Drupal friends

sigT
Drupal, http://drupal.org/, is a very nice open-source content management platform. I use it for my site. And do you? Have you worked out any special methods to make website editing easier with Drupal? What modules do you find useful for you?
babarus
I also us and is a good editor.
sigT
babarus wrote:
I also us and is a good editor.

Do you mean it has a good html-based editor for typesetting posts? It's unusual to say that Drupal itself is an editor. Wink
Cliffer
i like drupal,it saves much time for me to set up a website. but i found if logged in to a drupal site,the speed gets slower than not logged in. i don't know it is the problem of drupal itself or the problem of server.
what do you think about?
sigT
Cliffer wrote:
i like drupal,it saves much time for me to set up a website. but i found if logged in to a drupal site,the speed gets slower than not logged in.

An interesting problem... I've never noticed it. Maybe this is a side-effect of some drupal module? Or, there are more database queries in the logged mode...
Cliffer
sigT wrote:
Cliffer wrote:
i like drupal,it saves much time for me to set up a website. but i found if logged in to a drupal site,the speed gets slower than not logged in.

An interesting problem... I've never noticed it. Maybe this is a side-effect of some drupal module? Or, there are more database queries in the logged mode...

oh,maybe it's the database problem. not sure yet...
leontius
Cliffer wrote:
i like drupal,it saves much time for me to set up a website. but i found if logged in to a drupal site,the speed gets slower than not logged in. i don't know it is the problem of drupal itself or the problem of server.
what do you think about?

There are some optimizations and caching by drupal that only happens when the request is from anonymous user. Especially if you turn on "caching" in drupal's "performance" setting, it will be quite a difference.
sigT
leontius wrote:
There are some optimizations and caching by drupal that only happens when the request is from anonymous user. Especially if you turn on "caching" in drupal's "performance" setting, it will be quite a difference.

Right. This seems to be the thing to try if the site slows down.

I don't know if performance is in any way connected with my own problem that I could not resolve: cron tasks do not work. Automatic checks for updates are not possible with frihost. I tried to find a solution http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-109861.html, but nothing worked. Does anyone knows how to make cron work?
leontius
sigT wrote:

I don't know if performance is in any way connected with my own problem that I could not resolve: cron tasks do not work. Automatic checks for updates are not possible with frihost. I tried to find a solution http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-109861.html, but nothing worked. Does anyone knows how to make cron work?

If you never run cron then your database will contain a lot of residual / outdated data (because drupal does cleanup on cron) and the whole site might slow down. If it's difficult to set cron, you can use http://drupal.org/project/poormanscron (btw I use this anyway instead of regular cron because setting up cron for multiple websites is just a hassle).
sigT
leontius wrote:
If you never run cron then your database will contain a lot of residual / outdated data (because drupal does cleanup on cron) and the whole site might slow down. If it's difficult to set cron, you can use http://drupal.org/project/poormanscron (btw I use this anyway instead of regular cron because setting up cron for multiple websites is just a hassle).

I've been running cron tasks "manually" from the admin menu (not very frequently though). I've heard of poormanscron but never installed it. I'll follow your advice and try it out. Thanks. Smile
sigT
poormanscron has a straightforward installation and setup options. Seems to be a useful mod. However, since the cron tasks are no longer run by the server, they are executed in the event of the first page request after the chosen minimum time interval elapses. This doesn't seem to be the ideal method for my small site with a low number of readers. Still, it's fine with me if it works as expected.
supernova1987a
I tried to use it once. Couldn't really do anything. Can anyone tell me in brief how we create a dynamic website with at least the features that you get from first installation of joomla? also i do not know how to add more options later? I know it should be harder than joomla.
sigT
supernova1987a wrote:
I tried to use it once. Couldn't really do anything. Can anyone tell me in brief how we create a dynamic website with at least the features that you get from first installation of joomla? also i do not know how to add more options later? I know it should be harder than joomla.

Although I have no idea how drupal relates to joomla, I had some experiences with tricky parts of drupal. So, I think an average user might benefit from his or her knowledge of php. There are plenty of tutorials on the basic installation at http://drupal.org/handbooks. Apart from that, if you install an add-on module on your drupal site (upload and extract in DirectAdmin), there would be documentation on the module download page at drupal.org and as well as in the extracted directory.

Probably it's still harder than joomla, I don't know, but also probably that it's better documented. Just have a look at drupal.org and you'll see. Smile
Navigator
Hello all, we are just finishing our first drupal site and I must say it is amazing. The learning curve was steep I must say but it was worth it, definitely not an expert but looking forward to using it in the future, I just read that some had problems with cron jobs, is it possible to do have drupal crons scheduled with frihost?
tamilparks
i will try this, is it very good than joomla?
Cliffer
tamilparks wrote:
i will try this, is it very good than joomla?

can't say it's good or not,but it's simple to use than joomla.
tamilparks
i tried but its not so easy like joomla,
Cliffer
tamilparks wrote:
i tried but its not so easy like joomla,

oh,maybe drupal is new to you right now,after you use it for some time,i think you would think it's simpler than joomla.