FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Off-site News Feed

polly-gone
Frihost should have some sort of off-site news feeds, like on a free news feed site or a free blog site like wordpress.com. This way, if someone like the denial-of-service attack that we just had ever happens again, we can keep updated, even if the servers are down.

-Nick Smile Wink Smile
Bondings
I'll be making a service status website on a different domain. I'm not sure about the form of it yet, though. Maybe a static page with server status and news/downtime or also a blog or maybe even a forum. And also, if it's worth the trouble, to make users log in with the same username/password (which would require transferring the user table once in a while).
polly-gone
I don't remember how to do it exactly, but why don't you set up some sort of mirror forum on that site. When someone signs up here, there account is also created on the mirror forum. When someone posts here, the post is posted to the mirror forum. That way, if this server goes down, you can open up access to the mirror forum for people to use and when this server comes back up, just have some sort of script copy any changes back over to here. It would make it a lot easier to keep posting and get updates, etc. if this server goes down.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
truespeed
Why not just have a frihost twitter?
Asap170
Frihost Twitter is a good idea!
polly-gone
That's a good idea too. Updates could be posted to there easily.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
deanhills
polly-gone wrote:
Frihost should have some sort of off-site news feeds, like on a free news feed site or a free blog site like wordpress.com. This way, if someone like the denial-of-service attack that we just had ever happens again, we can keep updated, even if the servers are down.

-Nick Smile Wink Smile
Excellent idea. I was checking up all over the Web to find out whether there was some discussion in another forum perhaps about frihost being down. The closest I got was to confirm the servers are down at the link below. But would have been nice to know I could go to a specific place and get all the info. We probably have not had reason for this however, as it is probably a really RARE event for Frihost to be down.
http://frihost-server-status.us.to/
Ghost Rider103
Bondings wrote:
I'll be making a service status website on a different domain. I'm not sure about the form of it yet, though. Maybe a static page with server status and news/downtime or also a blog or maybe even a forum. And also, if it's worth the trouble, to make users log in with the same username/password (which would require transferring the user table once in a while).

I support this idea (Bondings) more than the others.

Making our own type news feed would look better for Frihost in my opinion. I'd rather go to an official Frihost website for certain news updates and to get more information when Frihost is down instead of going to like Twitter or something like that.

That's just my opinion though. It would work either way, I'd just prefer Bondings does his own thing.
Bondings
I'll make the status website.

In the mean time I have registered a Twitter account (frihost), I'll try to twitter any downtime stuff on there (and maybe some other announcements) with the tag #frihost.

http://twitter.com/frihost
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
I'll make the status website.

In the mean time I have registered a Twitter account (frihost), I'll try to twitter any downtime stuff on there (and maybe some other announcements) with the tag #frihost.

http://twitter.com/frihost
Thanks Bondings, my first introduction to Twitter. Good idea, and easy to remember. Smile
Ghost Rider103
I'd also like to point out that we do have an official Frihost chat as well on IRC.

That would also be a good place to discuss things about Frihost, especially when Frihost is down.

You can get information on how to connect to the IRC here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-12060.html

Theirs almost always somebody in the channel to talk to, including myself on a daily basis.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I'd also like to point out that we do have an official Frihost chat as well on IRC.
Good to know, but twitter is much easier to remember. I doubt I will forget it, whereas there would be a number of steps I would have to follow for IRC and I've never done "chat" before. I can imagine that IRC would be great for those who are already up and chatting, maybe I will give it a bash one day. In the meanwhile what could be easier than twitter.com/frihost and instant update? Smile