FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tea Time!

jabce85
Ok, this is for all of you that drink a good cup'o'tea.....

What kind do you drink?

What's your "method"

Clay or metal?

When do you drink it?

Got any other info pertaining to tea?
Libby
Sometimes I make my own St John's Wort tea or mint tea, from plants in my garden. It's neat. Free tea is the best tea!
atul2242
the morning cuppa is important.
First boil grated ginger and cracked black pepper then add the tea milk and sugar.
Just kind of kick starts the day
Auctus
Not that I'm any sort of connoisseur, but I like a variety of teas, always the bag sort, cheaper that way. Green tea is always good; not a huge fan of white. Black tea is best with spices, like chai (I seem to have trouble finding a good chai in a bag), and green tea with mint is one of my favorites. Mint tea that is just pure mint is enjoyable, but it's a bit much for me so I only drink it occasionally.
imera
Oh, I love tea, but I have no favourite or anything like that, love most tea that has a berry or a minty taste, and I usually like to just add sugar. So far I haven't tried much besides what I always have been drinking but when I do find my tea a little dull I'll try out differed kinds, and methods.

I also like to drink it in clay cups, and not at any specific time, whenever I want one. but usually at work I take one around 12, everyone else usually drinks coffee
deanhills
I also like tea very much, however like to have a variety. Earl grey is great straight up without sweetener or milk. Also green tea. I like Morrocco tea, which is green tea with fresh mint and sugar. Chai is my favourite, made the Indian way. I also like my own version with Chai tea bags, no milk and honey to sweeten it. Ginger tea is also great, with fresh ginger slices and honey.
jabce85
thanks for all the replies so far!

one more question though..

about half of you seem to use tea bags, but how many people use diffusers? have any tips about them?
jwellsy
I only drink decaf. I like the flavored decaf green teas. If I could find some instant decaf tea i'd try it.
truespeed
I am from England,we only really drink it one way,regular tea bag (Dipped to personal strength then removed) ,milk and sugar,piping hot.
Triple_7
I'll have the occasional ice tea but never been a big drinker...but then I discovered hot tea while in Taiwan. Since then I fix it about every night, especially when I'm not feeling well. I don't even know where to begin on what this brand is. Was a gift from her family before I departed back to the states. Plain, somewhat bitter, but soothing. Just takes a pinch of dried leaves in a little pot I brought back. Its an expensive tea, but one bag lasts me a year as it takes so little to brew quite a bit.

Maybe someone here knows what it is. I'm not good at translating Shocked

hidenangel
drink white tea or green tea for anti-cancer.
gj1012
I am from China and the Tea also originates in China.There are many famous kinds of tea such as Dragon Well tea,Maofeng Tea of the Yellow Mountains, Hole court Biluochun tea and so on. But my favourite is Anxi Tieguanyin Tea. Chinese Tea Culture has a long history, if you come in China,you have to taste Kungfu Tea. it's very good!!
jwellsy
I would love to try some Kungfu tea. I bet it kicks butt. Laughing
Welcome to Frihost gj1012.
fladry
little milk and sugar, and a local tea with other ingredients(i don't know what those ingredients are called in english) makes a nice cup of tea for me in the morning.
Cliffer
i like to drink flower tea and milk tea.
nigam
i love green tea....and i put 1 lemon....so lessen fat as well....thats what i have heard...don't know if its true or not...
driftingfe3s
I love tea! I just drink it because I like the taste. From the original poster, he asked metal or clay, I didn't even know that affected taste at all. I guess I'm going to have to experiment and see if I can tell the difference.
jabce85
ok, i guess since this thread was started by me, i could at least let you guys know what i like..

i'm definitely a big fan of earl grey and any black tea labeled as something along the lines of "english breakfast tea." floral tea is alright, but i don't like drinking a lot of it...... i also haven't even branched out into green yet. maybe the next trip to the store i will remember to pick some up.
deanhills
jabce85 wrote:
thanks for all the replies so far!

one more question though..

about half of you seem to use tea bags, but how many people use diffusers? have any tips about them?
I do have a diffuser as at one time I was quite ambitious about drinking a medical concoction tea. As far as I can see you just put the leaves in the diffuser, put that in a cup of hot boiled water, and let it strain for at least 15 minutes. I'm really lazy. Tea bags are my limit. Sometimes I go through ginger phases, which is harder work, as I slice it fine and let it strain for about 20 minutes or so. Then add a tea bag and some honey. I have not had that for a while however.
erlendhg
I have never really understand the thing about drinking tea.
I'm not especially fond of it, but then, tea is not a cultural phenomenon in my country, as I believe it might be in others Smile
Ankhanu
I drink very few teas, but gravitate somewhat towards tisanes (herbals and the like, no actual "tea").

When I do drink tea, it tends to be green or white, often with some other flavouring agent, like berries or vanilla. There is a wildberry black tea that I enjoy from Lipton, but generally my black teas are in Chai mixes. As with others, I haven't really found a good bagged chai... perhaps because you really should boil chai, not just pour boiling water over it and steep.
Tea should be consumed as is, without milk or sugar... except for perhaps Chai Wink

Rooibos is a nice tisane base, alone or flavoured. It's not very bitter like black tea, but has a full body and robust flavour.

Chamomile is a nice light tisane, tastes good with honey. It's good for just sitting back and relaxing.

Peppermint is a quick and flavourful tisane to prepare... good for when you're on the go, not feeling too good, or as a comfort drink.

There are a bunch of good mixes that I've had that I can't recall at the moment, but I think I started keeping track of my tisane/tea experimenting about 2 years ago, I just have to find my notes Razz

Loose teas give you a better flavour/experience than bagged teas, unless you're paying a premium for your bagged tea. Most bagged teas are made with low grade, too finely ground (sometimes dust) leaves, and, unless otherwise noted, not made with good tea. Finding a good diffuser for loose teas, if you're not just putting it in the pot and using that to strain out the big leaf chinks, can be a bit of a challenge. I have some ball diffusers that I simply don't like; they're egg shaped with an attached chain and unscrew in the middle. The holes are too few and far apart to get a good diffusion. I have use a metal mesh diffuser at a friend's that seemed to work well; it was essentially a mesh basket on a spring loaded handle that you would squeeze together to open the basket. There was good water flow through that style.
You can also get cups with screw on tops with a metal mesh in them, kind of like travel cups for diffusing loose tea. Put your tea in the cup, put on the lid, pour in your water and let it steep; when you drink, the tea leaves stay behind the mesh and you just get a tasty drink. Another friend has these and we used them one night; I was impressed and started looking for some for me... they're costly things at about $30-50... but might just be worth it for good quality tea experiences Razz
Crinoid
Black Ceylon tea as a staple drink, Lipton flavored teas are a treat ( mostly Jasmine/white box, rarely Spicy South-African/red box). Strong dislike of Orange Pecoe tea (most widely available), any brand.

After reading at physician's website that tea drinking leads to chelating and washing out many minerals, switched to the green tea. Don't know for how long I last with it, because very few brands of green tea have a tolerable taste.

Method of preparation: when had time, used a porcelain tea brewing pot, now - when the tea is only available in tea bags, unless you order from tea shop - tea bags in microwaved water (time, time!).

Would like to switch to fruit and herbal teas, but readily available varieties are not good - or are expensive. Life makes own choices Laughing
tukun2009manit
jabce85 wrote:

What kind do you drink?

What's your "method"

Clay or metal?

When do you drink it?

i don't have much idea but i use to drink simple tea with milk
its very simple add milk+tea leaves+sugar+water boil over
jabce85
ok, I'll go ahead and also say that SWEET TEA is also one of my favs.. You have to make it with a bag of lipton and maybe a bag of orange flavored just to give it that kick... BUT the most important thing is to add A LOT of sugar while the water is still near boiling... if you don't do this, it will literally take forever for it all to dissolve..
menino
I usually drink black tea, without sugar at work, which is about 2 times. Its tasteless, but it does have a slight calming effect for me.
At home, I usually have tea with milk, and with cardomom and clove for extra spice taste... like chai.
Kopernikus
jabce85 wrote:

What kind do you drink?

What's your "method"

Clay or metal?

When do you drink it?

black tea only, milk sugar
using a fabric sieve
clay
anytime i really need a break Smile
and I *hate* Earl Gray!
jabce85
Sorry to hear that you hate the Earl!! haha, everyone likes what they like though.
Arty
The only teas that I have tried and liked so far are BOH and Jasmine tea.
Animetallic
i'd like tea too
mukesh
I like green leaf tea but in 1 day 2 time only not more.
rogue_skydragon
I enjoy drinking yerba mate from a gourd and bombilla. It's great when sharing with friends as well
chatrack
I used to have 2 tea. One in morning and one at evening. I used tea prepared from kannan devan hills in Munnar.