FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Frihost in Hospital?

deanhills
Two evenings ago Frihost was down for a number of hours, and tonight I was first unable to get in, and once in, it is very VERY slow and difficult to post. Maybe Frihost is missing Bondings .... Crying or Very sad

I'm missing Frihost Shocked Smile
Bondings
There is a DDOS attack going on against the server. It is getting slightly better, though. Maybe it'll be fixed by tomorrow. *hoping*
ninjakannon
Unless I'm mistaken, Frihost has only come back online in the last few hours. For me at least, Frihost was down for around 3 days although everything is running perfectly now. Why on earth would anyone perform a DDOS attack against the Frihost servers?
Asap170
Maybe it was someone who was on frihost but got banned and rebelled! o.O... Or it just some loser sitting at home with hands on a DDoS and had fun with it...
deanhills
Embarassed Embarassed What exactly is a DDOS attack? How does it work and how do they manage to max out bandwith? Is it possible to identify the attackers? Smile
Asap170
deanhills wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed What exactly is a DDOS attack? How does it work and how do they manage to max out bandwidth? Is it possible to identify the attackers? Smile

Read this for more information on DDoS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

And the people who don't have the more secure computers...usually don't get used but the person with his or her hands on a DDoS uses our computers and has it sends information to the ips and justs increases the bandwidth so much that the site crashes... It is possible but it goes through so many computers it'll take forever like if it started in like Tennessee (No offence, my uncle lives there) it may go through like all 49 other states like 10 times before it attacks.. so backtracking is a long and painfully process and usually not successful.

I might be wrong lol. So read the WIKI!
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed What exactly is a DDOS attack? How does it work and how do they manage to max out bandwith? Is it possible to identify the attackers? Smile

To simplify it, a lot of computers send a lot of data to the server, maxing out the connection and not leaving any bandwidth for real communication. (A DOS attack is only one attacker, while DDOS means Distributed Denial Of Service, so more than one attacker)

Most of the time this is done by a botnet. A good part of the computers in the world are infected with viruses and the like, some of them are silently (so it doesn't go detected by the user, waiting for when it is really needed) part of one or more botnets and are used for a DDOS or for spamming or other things, as the botnet owner wishes. You can also rent a botnet on the black market, to use it for some time for anything you would like.

To identify the attackers is possible, however it's usually infected computers and sometimes the isp's are contacted and the DDOS stopped.