FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teddy Kennedy dies ...

deanhills
Really sad. The legend of the three Kennedy brothers coming to an end with the passing of Senator Edward (Ted) Kennedy. In the end it would seem that Ted Kennedy finally made the larger contribution to politics. In the beginning he had had almost the appearance of a black sheep in comparison with John and Robert Kennedy's saint-like contributions that resulted in assassination for both. For me their youngest brother, Ted, was endearing because he had been so human in the mistakes he had made. Perhaps it was easier to relate to him, than his brothers who were exceptionally gifted statesmen for their time, my favourite of the two being Robert Kennedy.
gandalfthegrey
It is regrettable that the Chappaquiddick hurt his political chances to take a run at the Presidency.
Bikerman
The perception I have, and which is shared by many people I know, is that Chappaquiddick was something he never satisfactorily 'owed up' to. Most of us don't think there was some grand conspiracy, rather that he behaved very badly (as young men often do) and then found himself boxed-in by his lies. One can feel sorry for him and understand the pressures, but one can never quite forgive that lack of candour, as he had many chances to put the record straight.

That being said, he is also perceived as a 'progressive' in the Senate and someone who put great effort into social reform generally. A complex character, like most of us. I think that, on balance, the world was a better place with him in it. That is, perhaps, the best obituary you can give anyone.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
The perception I have, and which is shared by many people I know, is that Chappaquiddick was something he never satisfactorily 'owed up' to. Most of us don't think there was some grand conspiracy, rather that he behaved very badly (as young men often do) and then found himself boxed-in by his lies. One can feel sorry for him and understand the pressures, but one can never quite forgive that lack of candour, as he had many chances to put the record straight.

That being said, he is also perceived as a 'progressive' in the Senate and someone who put great effort into social reform generally. A complex character, like most of us. I think that, on balance, the world was a better place with him in it. That is, perhaps, the best obituary you can give anyone.
Completely agreed. I was thinking of Chappaquiddick as well. But also that this guy has really lived his live to the absolute fullest. When his children and Caroline were listing all his physical pursuits, just the listing had me completely exhausted.