FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website not loading?

jinger89
I'm having trouble loading my website (http://www.cultthread.frih.org). Just yesterday, Frihost and my website wouldn't load, but I can access Frihost again today. I have no clue what the issue is. I haven't surpassed any limitations (bandwidth, storage, etc.) and I still have enough points in my Frihost account.

Can someone help me?
coreymanshack
Same here man. I couldn't access email or anything all day yesterday or this website. I can now access this website.
I'm on the frih.net server.
jinger89
I'm on the frihost.org server if that helps anyone.
Bondings
The frih.net/frih.org server has experienced a DDOS. The datacenter nullrouted the main server ip and I guess this caused the frihost.com website to load again (since it is on a different ip address, but on the same server).

The ip was nullrouted for 24 hours, so somewhere tomorrow the websites should start working again, at least if the DDOS is stopped by then.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
The frih.net/frih.org server has experienced a DDOS. The datacenter nullrouted the main server ip and I guess this caused the frihost.com website to load again (since it is on a different ip address, but on the same server).

The ip was nullrouted for 24 hours, so somewhere tomorrow the websites should start working again, at least if the DDOS is stopped by then.

Nullrouted = routing to something nonexistant?
What good does this do to stop the DDOS attack?
mOrpheuS
coreymanshack wrote:
Nullrouted = routing to something nonexistant?
What good does this do to stop the DDOS attack?

Wikipedia wrote:
Due to the nature of high-bandwidth routers, null routing can often sustain higher throughput than conventional firewalls. For this reason, null routes are often used on high-performance core routers to mitigate large-scale denial-of-service attacks before the packets reach a bottleneck, thus avoiding collateral damage from DDoS attacks — although the target of the attack will be inaccessible to anyone
malcolmpreen
Thanks for the explanation... you really do learn something new each day...

Malcolm
deanhills
malcolmpreen wrote:
Thanks for the explanation... you really do learn something new each day...

Malcolm
I'm totally intrigued. Especially with the information being available from Wikipedia. So this obviously means that quite a number of people do this as a regular defense method?
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
I'm totally intrigued. Especially with the information being available from Wikipedia. So this obviously means that quite a number of people do this as a regular defense method?

This is not something you can do as a user, nullrouting is done by the router of the network you are on. So usually only the networks/isp's do this. But there it is fairly common, especially for DDOS cases.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

This is not something you can do as a user, nullrouting is done by the router of the network you are on. So usually only the networks/isp's do this. But there it is fairly common, especially for DDOS cases.

So they just nullroute the ip's that the DDOS attack is coming from eh?
Bondings
coreymanshack wrote:
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

No, at least in our case, it was simply nullrouting the server ip's (ours).

You can also try to drop traffic from the ip's that the DDOS is coming from, but that's usually hard since there are a lot of ip's and anyway, it didn't happen.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

No, at least in our case, it was simply nullrouting the server ip's (ours).

You can also try to drop traffic from the ip's that the DDOS is coming from, but that's usually hard since there are a lot of ip's and anyway, it didn't happen.

Ahh ok. So were these guys prosecuted? If not, frihost can go down at anytime due to nullrouting again.